Mazda RX-8 Canceled. Goodbye Rotary Engine?

Started by Atomic, August 22, 2011, 05:52:26 AM

r0tor

My new engine is getting like 21 mpg in mixed driving... Must be the rocket boosters I installed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on October 12, 2011, 12:40:58 PM
My new engine is getting like 21 mpg in mixed driving... Must be the rocket boosters I installed

So what actually happened to your old engiine?  I wonder if I had kept my Rx8, would I have needed a new engine as well..

Onslaught

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 12, 2011, 09:26:15 AM

Has anyone ever heard of someone putting the RX-8 rotary into an NB1 Miata?
I've never seen a renesis in a NA or NB. I've seen them in a NC and it's "easy" to do from what I've seen.
But I wouldn't put a Renesis in a NA. I'd put the regular 13B from the RX-7's in it. It's easy to get power
out of them. Not that you'd need that much power in a Miata anyway.

It's still possible that I make a rotary miata one of these days for fun.

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on October 12, 2011, 04:28:09 PM
So what actually happened to your old engiine?  I wonder if I had kept my Rx8, would I have needed a new engine as well..

It was only pushing like 60 psi of engine compression... Was replaced for free by Mazda
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

LOL My subie gets that, and I have to push the pedal down a lot to just get moving..
Will

Onslaught

You know whenever something is wrong with a rotary engine at the dealer they just say "get a new one!" I understand if it's still in warranty then it's the easy way out. But it's older then they don't even try.
Many of them just need new seals.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on October 13, 2011, 04:02:00 PM
You know whenever something is wrong with a rotary engine at the dealer they just say "get a new one!" I understand if it's still in warranty then it's the easy way out. But it's older then they don't even try.

I have a feeling that most mechanics, even those in a Mazda delership, don't know a lot about them and don't want to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 13, 2011, 04:04:35 PM
I have a feeling that most mechanics, even those in a Mazda delership, don't know a lot about them and don't want to.
That's it! Or the ones now don't know much about them and don't want to. When I first started they had a few guys who knew about them because Mazda sold so many RX-7's in the 80's.
But the kids working there now have no idea how to do anything with them. That's why I'm going to learn so I can keep my 8 and future 7 going.

68_427

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 12, 2011, 11:57:29 AM
You know what makes even more sense than that? Just buying an S2000.
Sure if you've got at least $12K sitting around.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on October 13, 2011, 04:02:00 PM

Yeah, but replacing new seals isn't really as easy as replacing a spark plug. 

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on October 13, 2011, 04:38:43 PM
Yeah, but replacing new seals isn't really as easy as replacing a spark plug. 
It's not any worse then doing a normal engine rebuild. I'd think it even be a little better.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on October 13, 2011, 04:47:33 PM
It's not any worse then doing a normal engine rebuild. I'd think it even be a little better.

Yeah, I'd say it's easier than doing a normal engine rebuild.  But most mechanics at the dealers say "new engine" probably because, a. they're not familiar with rotaries and b. mazda's footing the bill. 

r0tor

Actually Mazda will not let the dealers crack open the engines... They all get yanked and sent to the reman plant after a bajillion tests are done to assure its dead.

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2011, 07:46:09 PM
Actually Mazda will not let the dealers crack open the engines... They all get yanked and sent to the reman plant after a bajillion tests are done to assure its dead.
Yea, that's the RX-8. I was talking more about the RX-7's that still come in.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 68_427 on October 13, 2011, 04:34:51 PM
Sure if you've got at least $12K sitting around.
Buying a Miata + F20C + getting it swapped in would cost at least that much. And then you have to upgrade the rest of the car to handle the engine. Project cars are fun but never cost effective, unless you own a junkyard + shop

Raza

Early S2000s are around 9K now anyway, as long as you're willing to take a high mileage example. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.