Opinions on LR2

Started by TurboDan, August 31, 2011, 09:23:03 PM

TurboDan

Thinking of replacing the Passat with a small SUV capable of doing some light off-road duty. No mud, no climbing hills... just essentially driving on the beach on occasion and dealing with some of our coastal tidal flooding around here.

I looked at a couple vehicles recently (Nissan Xterra and Jeep Liberty, to be specific) and they were fine, except for the fact that I absolutely HATED their interiors - the Xterra was especially offensive. Hardly any with leather seats, very few luxury features, cheap plastic. So that's how I got to thinking about the LR2. My only concern, really, is reliability. I don't mind an occasional repair or bug, I just don't want a car that leaves me stranded and calling AAA once a month.

Also glanced at some X3 reviews online, but I think they're very overpriced and I'm really not too interested.

Opinions?

I know there are some larger SUVs with nice interiors and lots of features, but the LR2-ish size is about the biggest I'd be willing to go. Even the Xterra seemed a little too bulky for me.

2o6

LR2 would be at the bottom of the list for me. Far more attractive CUV's for cheaper that are just as nice.

Murano, RDX, MDX, Infiniti EX, RX, Egde, MKX....

Laconian

I'd only get one used - steep depreciation on those suckers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Lots of the letter "X" in those model names....

CJ

Pre-owned XC90.  Beautifully built, somewhat decent to drive, and extremely comfortable.  Same engine as the LR2.  Hell, the LR2 is basically an S80 underneath anyway.

Laconian

Quote from: CJ on August 31, 2011, 10:26:03 PM
Pre-owned XC90.  Beautifully built, somewhat decent to drive, and extremely comfortable.  Same engine as the LR2.  Hell, the LR2 is basically an S80 underneath anyway.
Really? No truckly origins? My worldview has been shattered!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on August 31, 2011, 10:36:23 PM
Really? No truckly origins? My worldview has been shattered!

Yeah, it's a Ford Mondeo underneath.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

68_427

It'll handle all the off roading he said he plans to do, has the cargo capacity, in limited trim the interior is a nice as any other vehicles he mentioned, and with in 3.0R or XT models will be faster and more fuel efficient.

Makes sense to me.
'racecar is die'
no

S204STi

Quote from: 68_427 on August 31, 2011, 11:10:33 PM
It'll handle all the off roading he said he plans to do, has the cargo capacity, in limited trim the interior is a nice as any other vehicles he mentioned, and with in 3.0R or XT models will be faster and more fuel efficient.

Makes sense to me.

+1

LR2 an SUV isn't.  Outback manages to have all the ground clearance and more room, plus not being a pile of shite.

Better still, the Forester XT.  Same motor as the 06-08WRX, 4.44 final drive, shorter 1st gear, shorter front/rear overhangs...

CALL_911

Actually, I drove one in like March. Dealer said like $27k or so for a demo with 500 miles on it (and this had the Alpine stereo, navigation, etc.).

It's not the sportiest or quickest car I've ever driven, but that's also not the point. It is, however, well built, comfortable, spacious, reasonably quick and handled decently as well. I don't know if I'd drop upwards of $35k on it, but for mid-low 20s, I'd highly consider one. I'm a fan.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 2o6 on August 31, 2011, 10:38:32 PM

Yeah, it's a Ford Mondeo underneath.

There are a lot of good cars on that chassis.

And the LR2 has an inline-6 :praise:

r0tor

Jeep Grand Cherokee... Drive one!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 01, 2011, 05:09:24 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee... Drive one!

I do like the Grand Cherokee as well.  Good idea.

Raza

Yeah, an old Forester 2.5XT should do the trick.  My buddy has one, and he hates it.  Loves the way it drives though.  He has a very short commute and it gets horrible gas mileage.  He's averaging like 12mpg a tank. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

I've never liked the LR2.  Doesn't really fit in the rest of LR's line IMO.

I'd rather have something like a forester. Or a 4dr Tacoma.

2o6

Interior of the Forester is kinda cheap.

Tiguan?

Colonel Cadillac

Tiguan is available with a manual! Probably only in the low-trim model though.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on August 31, 2011, 09:39:33 PM
LR2 would be at the bottom of the list for me. Far more attractive CUV's for cheaper that are just as nice.

Murano, RDX, MDX, Infiniti EX, RX, Egde, MKX....

Quote from: CJ on August 31, 2011, 10:26:03 PM

Those are not driving-on-the-beach cars, and he said he wanted something small. Reading comprehension.

A Forester would be a good choice if it passes the interior quality test; I know someone who does beach-drive one occasionally. Nicer than a Liberty or Xterra for sure, but not exactly upscale either.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on September 01, 2011, 07:57:18 AM
Yeah, an old Forester 2.5XT should do the trick.  My buddy has one, and he hates it.  Loves the way it drives though.  He has a very short commute and it gets horrible gas mileage.  He's averaging like 12mpg a tank. 

Jesus... seriously?

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on September 01, 2011, 09:28:07 AM
Jesus... seriously?

Yeah.  It's all short trips though.  The engine never really warms up. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Ah.  Short gearing ftw, too.

I thought about one of those rather than the WRX.  Glad I went with it now, but the Forester is a tad more versatile.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on September 01, 2011, 09:23:36 AM

Those are not driving-on-the-beach cars, and he said he wanted something small. Reading comprehension.

A Forester would be a good choice if it passes the interior quality test; I know someone who does beach-drive one occasionally. Nicer than a Liberty or Xterra for sure, but not exactly upscale either.

No need to be rude. Aside from maybe the MDX, all of those vehicles listed are the same size or smaller than the Xterra. And the car based ones are far more manageable to drive.

Colonel Cadillac

Yes, I'm not sure when the XC70 became considered big.

How about the XC60? It got great reviews. I believe the AWD system was a new redesign for the XC60 also.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on September 01, 2011, 11:30:32 AM
No need to be rude. Aside from maybe the MDX, all of those vehicles listed are the same size or smaller than the Xterra

No, they are not, and he said the Xterra was too big.

r0tor

How soft is the sand on the beach you want to drive on?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on September 01, 2011, 05:57:42 PM
How soft is the sand on the beach you want to drive on?

Sand mode hurr lol
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

If you are really driving on the beach for any real length of time or if it is a common occurrence, you are going to run into conditions where the soft roaders mentioned by most in this thread (usually with an X in the name and excluding the xterra) will let you down.
The LR2 is really just paying for the rover name, it is not all that capable. I watched my neighbors get stuck in snow the Commander just laughed at and hardly noticed was there.

Small is a difficult criteria to fulfill, only the xterra, liberty, 2 dr wrangler fit (with any capability off-road).

The Grand Cherokee is not that much bigger (~10 inches), has a much nicer interior than the LR2 and is much more capable. For the money you would spend on an LR2 you could get a really nicely optioned out GC.

r0tor