25 cities with the most speed traps

Started by Eye of the Tiger, September 03, 2011, 03:09:55 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 06, 2011, 04:05:03 PM
Yes, the brake light radar detector is pretty good, but sometimes they hode in the damn woods where you can't see them unless you look in your mirror.

Rarely is that laser though. I'm not sure why, but I doubt its a technical reason.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

The prevalence of laser is why I have never bothered to get a radar detector. I might go for it if I had a map of the west with jurisdictions that use laser noted. Coming through Douglas County, they use laser, slow down... kind of thing.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 06, 2011, 04:13:45 PM
Rarely is that laser though. I'm not sure why, but I doubt its a technical reason.
An officer told me he hates using Lidar from behind because it takes longer to chase the speeder down.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 06, 2011, 04:03:11 PM
Laser is always used from a stationary car, most commonly in the daylight, and almost always in the line of sight to approaching traffic. Your best indicator of radar being used up ahead is the brakelights from traffic in front of you.

Around here they either lurk just over the hill (or where the freeway rises to cross a surface street) on the median so youhave very little warning or they pull over on a drive, cross street or whatever and stand by an obstruction like a tree or whatever and nail you.  In light traffic the brake lights are often a poor indicator especially when the cop is lurking becasue likely the other guy, probably going the speed limit,  didn't see them either.

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on September 07, 2011, 05:27:46 AM
An officer told me he hates using Lidar from behind because it takes longer to chase the speeder down.

When I got a ticket from a cop using lidar, it took him 1.2 miles from where he clocked me to pull me over.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

I live with a guy from Livonia.  He talks a lot about how many cops and cameras there are there.  But he's somehow never gotten a ticket and he drives like a complete jackass.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 07, 2011, 06:15:45 AM
Around here they either lurk just over the hill (or where the freeway rises to cross a surface street) on the median so youhave very little warning or they pull over on a drive, cross street or whatever and stand by an obstruction like a tree or whatever and nail you.  In light traffic the brake lights are often a poor indicator especially when the cop is lurking becasue likely the other guy, probably going the speed limit,  didn't see them either.

99% chance they commonly use the exact same spots over and over again though, right? Right down to the point where they've worn ruts into the shoulder getting in and out of their hidey-holes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 07, 2011, 03:13:06 PM
99% chance they commonly use the exact same spots over and over again though, right? Right down to the point where they've worn ruts into the shoulder getting in and out of their hidey-holes.

Yup, and they still aren't wanting for customers. 

Raza

In the five or so times I've been pulled over, not once has it been by a cop using radar or laser. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

The problem/good thing about laser is that you can pretty much see the cop when he's shooting the laser, because he has to point the laser gun straight at you.

With radar, cops can be sneakier because the signal widens down the road.

That said, the only time my detector has shown a laser alert is when I've been on a certain section of road next to the airport.

All my other experience is with radar, and the detector is a big help when it's dark.

hotrodalex

My friend with the Lotus Elise has a radar/laser blocker in the front bumper. He's gotten pulled over before and the cop just said he couldn't get any reading at all (knew he was speeding, though). They talked about it for a while and the cop was thinking it might be because it's such a low and kind of stealthy car, plus it's all black. My friend went along with it for like 5 minutes until he finally told him about the jammer. :lol:

(I'll have to ask him about what kind of jammer it is. Most google searches say they don't work or that they're a federal offense..)

Rupert

Yeah... Jammers aren't legal. Either the cop was ignorant, or your friend is full of shit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on September 08, 2011, 08:21:43 PM
Yeah... Jammers aren't legal. Either the cop was ignorant, or your friend is full of shit.

Eh, don't think he's the type of guy to lie about that. (he's over 35, not some young gun. engineer, making bank, has done tons of custom work to his Elise, etc.) And I saw a radar detector system built into the dash/instrument panel when I was in the car a couple of months ago. If I remember I'll ask him next time I see him.

He is British, so maybe he's just got that arrogant Brit attitude about American laws. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Laser jammers are legal.

Active radar jammers are too and although passive ones arent, they are minimally effective

Rupert

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on September 08, 2011, 09:07:29 PM
Laser jammers are legal?! Since when?

Since always.

emitted laser light is not under the purview of laws concerning the emission of radio signals, which is what makes radar jammers illegal.

Lasers fall under, of all things; Food and Drug administration regs.

But, whether the device itself is legal is only part of it: it is still illegal in every place I know of to interfere with an officer in the legal conduct of his duties (or something to that effect); and an officer could very well consider that to be interference under that statute.

Rupert

Ah.

I figured there was some law more specific to laser and radar speed measurement along the lines of the general anti-interference law. I didn't think the laws regarding jammers in cars were broad enough to fall to FDA and FCC.

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 08, 2011, 08:34:36 PM
Laser jammers are legal.

Active radar jammers are too and although passive ones arent, they are minimally effective

Just what is an active radar jammer, as opposed to a passive one and why would one be legal and the other not be?  Don't they both send out an electronic signal in the same bandwidth as police radar?