Driven: Fiat 500

Started by afty, September 05, 2011, 11:33:14 PM

afty

I traveled to Boston last week, and Alamo gave me a Fiat 500 to drive.  I was very excited to find one in a rental lot; it was a big improvement over the last-gen Hyundai Accent I expected to get.

My first impression was that Fiat felt cheap.  The driver's door let out a groan when I opened it, and the seat adjusters looked and felt flimsy.  The cabin felt surprisingly roomy for such a small car.  The copious headroom made it feel more expansive than it really was.  The interior is pretty attractive, with a body-colored trim piece spanning the dash.  It gave the impression of an econobox with a bit of flair.

The little Fiat was pretty fun to drive.  The steering gives the car much of its personality.  It's very fast and very low effort, which gives the car an eager, tossable feel.  The high seating position makes the car feel tipsy when you take a corner, but you soon get used to it and discover that the car's limits are higher than you first thought.  The engine is underpowered, but it's acceptable for city driving as long as you're not afraid to mat the accelerator.  I wouldn't argue with more power, though.  The six-speed automatic transmission has a sport mode which holds the gears longer, making the car feel more alert.  And parking in the city is super easy -- the Fiat's turning circle is very small, and of course it's very short, so you can easily fit into any open space on the street.

I got a lot of attention driving around in this little red thing.  Two different strangers accosted me after I got out of the car, asking how I liked it, how much it cost, etc.  They had both owned Fiats before and had fond memories.  I also got a lot of stares while driving.

The Fiat 500 is definitely an econobox, but it's an econobox with personality.  I enjoyed it and am glad I got a chance to drive one. 

Colin

From my completely unbiased point of view, that sounds like a pretty fair assessment.

Even in Europe, where a vast number of the regular models have been sold, if you drive an Abarth, as I do, you get plenty of attention - stares, crowds around it when you park it etc.

Needs more power? Yes, well if you Merrycans will insist on saddling your cars with slushmatic gearboxes, what do y'all expect?..... but that is where Abarth comes in, of course! I would be interested to try a US spec car to see how the driving experience compares to the European ones. Wonder if Hertz is going to get them on fleet as well, or if they will stay an Alamo only offering?

Oh, and I do agree that the seat height adjuster is not exactly the highest quality fitting in the car.

Onslaught

I agree with the "feels cheap" part. I had a brand new one just off the delivery truck come in and the drivers side door wasn't aligned properly and much of the car just felt cheap. But then again it is a cheap car so it should feel that way.
I didn't get to drive it around so I can't say anything good or bad about it in that department.

Byteme

Quote from: afty on September 05, 2011, 11:33:14 PM
I traveled to Boston last week, and Alamo gave me a Fiat 500 to drive.  I was very excited to find one in a rental lot; it was a big improvement over the last-gen Hyundai Accent I expected to get.

It gave the impression of an econobox with a bit of flair.

I got a lot of attention driving around in this little red thing.  The Fiat 500 is definitely an econobox, but it's an econobox with personality.  I enjoyed it and am glad I got a chance to drive one. 

Let's see,.............

Fiat 500:  Base price $15,500  MPG 30/38

Mazda 2:  Base price $14,100, MPG 29/35

Mazda 3:  Base price $15,800  MPG  25/33 

Ford Fiesta:  Base price $13,200  MPG 29/37

Why would anyone buy a Fiat 500?  We were the lots this weekend looking for a car for my son.  Ford had hardly any small cars on their lots, Mazda had some.  The Fiat dealer had maybe 40 500's wawaiting unsuspecting buyers.  The Mazdas and Ford are better cars and with the 3 you give up a few MPG but gain a heck of a lot more utility. 

IMO, gas prices are going to have to go up a bunch before these sell like hotcakes and then it will only be because the Chevy, Ford and Mazda and other dealers are sold out of their more popular econoboxes.  Look for deep discounts within 6 months.

cawimmer430

What engine does the US get? The 1.4 16V with 100-horsepower or the 1.4 16V Multiair with 102-horsepower? I imagine that engine is actually quite zippy and agile, but it's probably the automatic transmission in your car which makes it feel a bit "underpowered".
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 06:43:17 AM
Why would anyone buy a Fiat 500? 

1) HISTORY & HERITAGE  :devil:

2) STYLING (LIFESTYLE CAR)

3) FLAIR

Regarding part three, the Fiat 500 has FLAIR. The Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta are passionless and characterless design wise when compared to the cute and snuggly Fiat 500. Both the Mazda and Ford look like econoboxes. Zero design charisma, unlike the Fiat 500, which also looks somewhat premium and upscale compared to the cars you mentioned.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Let's see,.............

Why would anyone buy a Fiat 500?  We were the lots this weekend looking for a car for my son.  Ford had hardly any small cars on their lots, Mazda had some.  The Fiat dealer had maybe 40 500's wawaiting unsuspecting buyers.  The Mazdas and Ford are better cars and with the 3 you give up a few MPG but gain a heck of a lot more utility. 

IMO, gas prices are going to have to go up a bunch before these sell like hotcakes and then it will only be because the Chevy, Ford and Mazda and other dealers are sold out of their more popular econoboxes.  Look for deep discounts within 6 months.

The Fiat is really only a style thing.

Besides, there is no such thing as a basic Mazda 3 at that 15,800 price is as rare as hens teeth and comes with no options whatsoever. The Base 500 is actually pretty decently equipped, much better than the base model Fiesta (which comes with only an AM-FM tuner and crank windows at that base price)

The Mazda 2 is equipped about the same, but the Fiat is a bit quicker.

Besides, although there might be "40 Fiat 500's" right now on the lot, those cars get snapped up quick. There still is a waiting list around my area....

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:05:52 AM

3) FLAIR

Regarding part three, the Fiat 500 has FLAIR. The Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta are passionless and characterless design wise when compared to the cute and snuggly Fiat 500. Both the Mazda and Ford look like econoboxes. Zero design charisma, unlike the Fiat 500, which also looks somewhat premium and upscale compared to the cars you mentioned.

I dunno man, the Fiesta is a pretty nice car inside and out, and the Mazda 2 is also very good. As far as driving dynamics, those are the cars to beat. But judging from anecdotal evidence, I seem to see a lot of 500's everywhere, so evidently, people must really like them.

2o6

You know what? I'm going to see for myself whether or not it's a good car.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:05:52 AM

3) FLAIR

Now first of all I like Fiat's, always have.  I've owned two 124 sport spiders.  

The 500 is a nasty little shit box suited to European driving conditions; not the US.   A smart buyer, looking for a bargain, would buy a 3-4 year old civic and pocket the cost difference.  

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on September 06, 2011, 07:14:07 AM
I dunno man, the Fiesta is a pretty nice car inside and out, and the Mazda 2 is also very good. As far as driving dynamics, those are the cars to beat. But judging from anecdotal evidence, I seem to see a lot of 500's everywhere, so evidently, people must really like them.

Personally I'd rank the Fiesta as being more "stylish" than the really bland Mazda 2. But you got to admit that the Fiat 500 makes the Ford Fiesta look bland as well.

Also, when you live in Europe where small economy cars are now all taking the "extreme stylish route", designs like the Mazda 2 or Ford Fiesta don't even show up my radar anymore. Cars like the Citroen C3/C4, Fiat 500, Alfa Romeo Giulietta etc. do.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Let's see,.............

The Fiat has more standard equipment than those cars. But like a base Mini, it's the style and the handling that will sell the 500, and Mini has had no trouble consistently selling those for years.

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on September 06, 2011, 07:14:07 AM

The Fiat is really only a style thing.

Besides, there is no such thing as a basic Mazda 3 at that 15,800 price is as rare as hens teeth and comes with no options whatsoever. The Base 500 is actually pretty decently equipped, much better than the base model Fiesta (which comes with only an AM-FM tuner and crank windows at that base price)

The Mazda 2 is equipped about the same, but the Fiat is a bit quicker.

Besides, although there might be "40 Fiat 500's" right now on the lot, those cars get snapped up quick. There still is a waiting list around my area....

I've honestly seen no Fiat 500's on the road down here.  

2o6

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:18:56 AM
Now first of all I like Fiat's, always have.  I've owned two 124 sport spiders.  

The 500 is a nasty little shit box suited to European driving conditions; not the US.   A smart buyer, looking for a bargain, would buy a 3-4 year old civic and pocket the cost difference.  

That's a faulty premise, and you know it.

For the price you sold your E-type, you could have had a new Camry and had hassle-free motoring.

Besides, the Mazda 2 also 100HP in a heavier package with a 4AT and 5MT rather than the 500's 6AT and 6MT combo.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:18:56 AM
Now first of all I like Fiat's, always have.  I've owned two 124 sport spiders. 

The 500 is a nasty little shit box suited to European driving conditions; not the US.   A smart buyer, looking for a bargain, would buy a 3-4 year old civic and pocket the cost difference.   

I don't think anyone in the US will be buying a Fiat 500 as a roadtrip car. It's most likely going to be bought by parents for their in-college-daughter as a car to drive from her college to her apartment or home or by young professionals as a city car to drive to work and back home and do some quick shopping with. And the people who buy it will place more emphasis on style and design rather than overall practicality or even gas mileage. Just my opinion.

Cut down on the BMW and Driver magazine influence, man.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2011, 07:20:44 AM
The Fiat has more standard equipment than those cars. But like a base Mini, it's the style and the handling that will sell the 500, and Mini has had no trouble consistently selling those for years.

So move up a model on those three and they are still price competitive (the Mazda3 less so at about a grand more).  

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:20:11 AM
Personally I'd rank the Fiesta as being more "stylish" than the really bland Mazda 2. But you got to admit that the Fiat 500 makes the Ford Fiesta look bland as well.

Also, when you live in Europe where small economy cars are now all taking the "extreme stylish route", designs like the Mazda 2 or Ford Fiesta don't even show up my radar anymore. Cars like the Citroen C3/C4, Fiat 500, Alfa Romeo Giulietta etc. do.  :ohyeah:

I don't think that's true at all. The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are sharp looking little cars. (Except Fiesta sedan. It looks flat out terrible)

ifcar

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:22:52 AM
So move up a model on those three and they are still price competitive (the Mazda3 less so at about a grand more). 

Look at it on the flip side: the 500, unlike the Mini, is actually price-competitive with mainstream subcompacts instead of much more money. That's this car's appeal.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on September 06, 2011, 07:23:17 AM
I don't think that's true at all. The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are sharp looking little cars. (Except Fiesta sedan. It looks flat out terrible)

In 2-door form the Fiesta does look better than the nasty 4-door variant, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the Fiat 500 in terms of cuteness and style. To me the Fiesta is trying to hard to look cute and stylish whereas the Fiat 500 delivers this without even trying.

Styling is subjective after all but I prefer the Fiat 500 to the Fiesta and Mazda 2.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2011, 07:24:20 AM
Look at it on the flip side: the 500, unlike the Mini, is actually price-competitive with mainstream subcompacts instead of much more money. That's this car's appeal.

Let's wait a bit until the "Aw, gee ain't it cute" sales are exhausted and see how it sells. 

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:22:44 AM
I don't think anyone in the US will be buying a Fiat 500 as a roadtrip car. It's most likely going to be bought by parents for their in-college-daughter as a car to drive from her college to her apartment or home or by young professionals as a city car to drive to work and back home and do some quick shopping with. And the people who buy it will place more emphasis on style and design rather than overall practicality or even gas mileage. Just my opinion.

Cut down on the BMW and Driver magazine influence, man.  :devil:

It's "gotta have it" car like the New Beetle and the Mini. But the 500 is cheaper than both of those and is done in such a manner that daily driving it is economical and cheap.

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:22:52 AM

No, they're not. In order to get the equipment that is on the 500, you'd have to step up to a SEL hatch to get the same equipment as the base 500. The Mazda 3 gets priced out of the competition (it should, it's a larger car) and the Mazda 2 is still slower and worse on gas than the 500.

ifcar

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:26:39 AM
Let's wait a bit until the "Aw, gee ain't it cute" sales are exhausted and see how it sells. 

Hasn't killed the Mini, nearly a decade later.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:25:45 AM
In 2-door form the Fiesta does look better than the nasty 4-door variant, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the Fiat 500 in terms of cuteness and style. To me the Fiesta is trying to hard to look cute and stylish whereas the Fiat 500 delivers this without even trying.

Styling is subjective after all but I prefer the Fiat 500 to the Fiesta and Mazda 2.

I see a Fiat 500 and I see a ladybug.  Seriously, that's the first thought that comes to mind. 

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2011, 07:27:06 AM

Heck, the New Beetle still sells in reasonable numbers despite the basic architecture being introduced in 1998...

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:28:05 AM
I see a Fiat 500 and I see a ladybug.  Seriously, that's the first thought that comes to mind. 

So you don't like the styling?

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on September 06, 2011, 07:27:00 AM
It's "gotta have it" car like the New Beetle and the Mini. But the 500 is cheaper than both of those and is done in such a manner that daily driving it is economical and cheap.

You bring up a good point with the MINI and New Beetle (and now the Fiat 500).

What do they have in common? HISTORY & HERITAGE. They're all based on cars that defined an era in their specific countries and later internationally.

They're CULT CARS and cult cars have this strong appeal amongst many consumers. In effect the price won't matter since they "got to have it".

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:28:05 AM

That's what I think off when I see a Jaguar E-Type. Weird.  :devil:

By the way, put on your diapers.  :devil:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=977.10710

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:29:02 AM
You bring up a good point with the MINI and New Beetle (and now the Fiat 500).

What do they have in common? HISTORY & HERITAGE. They're all based on cars that defined an era in their specific countries and later internationally.

They're CULT CARS and cult cars have this strong appeal amongst many consumers. In effect the price won't matter since they "got to have it".

Honestly, I don't think that has much to do with it in the US. Hyundai could have introduced a round-headlighted car in this class and it would be popular for its looks without referring to a particular icon.

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2011, 07:27:06 AM

Aug '11    Aug '10      %      YTD Aug '11      YTD Aug '10      %

3,109        4,425    -29.7%    37,636             29,704           26.7%

An annual rate of under 50,000 units in 2011 and under 40,000 in 2010.

It's a niche car.  same as the 500.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 06, 2011, 07:30:47 AM
That's what I think off when I see a Jaguar E-Type. Weird.  :devil:

By the way, put on your diapers.  :devil:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=977.10710

I never really cared for the V12 E-types myself, but feel free to post as much idiocy as you wish. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2011, 07:34:01 AM
Honestly, I don't think that has much to do with it in the US. Hyundai could have introduced a round-headlighted car in this class and it would be popular for its looks without referring to a particular icon.

I know. Hyundai introduces the Genesis in America and it's immediately considered a luxury car there.

This would never work here.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 07:35:57 AM
I never really cared for the V12 E-types myself, but feel free to post as much idiocy as you wish. 

But they do 0-60 in... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de