Edmunds: 2012 BMW M5 First Drive

Started by cawimmer430, September 23, 2011, 04:06:10 AM

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 25, 2011, 01:22:29 PM
That's what I am thinking. On my street people throw a fit when my neighbor starts up his loud and noisy Harley-Davidson in the mornings which he uses to get to work. Pussies. All of them. :lol:

There's nothing I hate more than a stupidly loud Harley.  In Texas, there's a guy up the street from us that has a Harley and he rides it to work.  He leaves at 4:30 or so and does a pretty much full-throttle run up the street.  This is why nobody likes him.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on September 25, 2011, 01:24:46 PM

There's nothing I hate more than a stupidly loud Harley.  In Texas, there's a guy up the street from us that has a Harley and he rides it to work.  He leaves at 4:30 or so and does a pretty much full-throttle run up the street.  This is why nobody likes him.

:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

My dad's friend has a Harley with drag pipes.  He does a burnout every time he leaves our house.  :praise:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

Quote from: CJ on September 25, 2011, 01:24:46 PM

I hate them. You ever see the South Park episode that makes fun of them? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwH85gFOVVQ   NSW because of a word- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDv-L4eTwnA

I know that shit is against the law but I've never seen them enforce it on Hogs. I've seen them do it to fart can civics but never those God Damn bikes.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2011, 06:07:37 AM
These are the measures that have to be taken to give turbocharged engines emotional appeal

BMW did something similar with the old I6 Z4 as well--they pumped the engine noise into the cabin.  Your preferences are not the only ones that exist.  I think my turbo 4 sounds better than my old V6, which was critically lauded for its noise. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on September 27, 2011, 12:05:41 PM
BMW did something similar with the old I6 Z4 as well--they pumped the engine noise into the cabin.  Your preferences are not the only ones that exist.  I think my turbo 4 sounds better than my old V6, which was critically lauded for its noise. 

The Mustang has been doing it for a while now as well.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 24, 2011, 06:07:37 AM
These are the measures that have to be taken to give turbocharged engines emotional appeal

501 lb-ft are on tap from 1,500 to 5,750 rpm

If that doesn't have emotional appeal you are likely among the deceased.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on September 28, 2011, 09:14:55 AM
501 lb-ft are on tap from 1,500 to 5,750 rpm

If that doesn't have emotional appeal you are likely among the deceased.

Doesn't really do any good with a 7sp tranny...

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on September 28, 2011, 09:32:34 PM

How doesn't it?  Seems like it'd be in the torque band more often. 

68_427

Quote from: CJ on September 28, 2011, 09:53:37 PM

How doesn't it?  Seems like it'd be in the torque band more often. 

Well, depending on the gear spacing, when going all out you may be above the torque band the entire time.  But that's basically the entire power band, and less shifting = faster times.
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

In an effort to boost my Internetry, I watched the tach on the Accordian on the way to work this morning. With light driving (~1/4 to 1/3 throttle) the engine never fell below ~2,500 rpm save at steady state cruise speed (and this with a 5sp slushbox).

Between the relatively low red line, short gear spacing, and quick reacting dual clutch tranny, the new M5 will virtually never see 1,500 rpm or anything close to it save at idle. The wide power band is a basically unusable byproduct, not an intent, of the TT motor.

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on September 28, 2011, 09:32:34 PM

Yeah, that's the pussy option.  :tounge:

The real guys with impressive manhoods that sire children left and right go for the clutch option.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on September 29, 2011, 07:33:10 AM
In an effort to boost my Internetry, I watched the tach on the Accordian on the way to work this morning. With light driving (~1/4 to 1/3 throttle) the engine never fell below ~2,500 rpm save at steady state cruise speed (and this with a 5sp slushbox).

Between the relatively low red line, short gear spacing, and quick reacting dual clutch tranny, the new M5 will virtually never see 1,500 rpm or anything close to it save at idle. The wide power band is a basically unusable byproduct, not an intent, of the TT motor.

LOL!

Engineering fail by Cougs.  Why are you comparing the relative engine speed at varying speeds in your 5-speed Accord to a 7-speed M5?  Total apples to oranges comparison.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on September 29, 2011, 03:43:36 PM
LOL!

Engineering fail by Cougs.  Why are you comparing the relative engine speed at varying speeds in your 5-speed Accord to a 7-speed M5?  Total apples to oranges comparison.

Actually, that was mega engineering win.

If the most plebeian of cars; with much wider gear spacing, far slower reacting transmission, and about the same redline; sees at a minimum of 2,500 rpm during sedate driving, a car just the opposite will see a higher minimum; ergo, that the M5 makes a bunch of torque at 1,500 rpm means little if anything.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 29, 2011, 06:52:15 PM

If the most plebeian of cars; with much wider gear spacing, far slower reacting transmission, and about the same redline; sees at a minimum of 2,500 rpm during sedate driving, a car just the opposite will see a higher minimum; ergo, that the M5 makes a bunch of torque at 1,500 rpm means little if anything.
Wow this is a quantum leap even for me

So the fact that the M5 has at least double (prob triple or even quadruple) the torque of your Accord at 1500 RPM, along w/2 extra cogs and what I'm sure will be significantly more sophisticated powertrain electronics has nothing to do w/how it might shift? Esp in the context of stricter fuel economy/emissions tests, which I'm certain BMW programmed the car for to boast of its new found efficiency

:wtf:

Mega internet fail, -100 internet points for you

MrH

A car boasting that it's 30% more efficient than the last one, and makes 500 lb-ft of torque at that low of an rpm will surely be shifting at 2k rpm to keep the revs low.

M5 makes shit tons more power at low rpm than your accord.  And has more gears.  It can sit between 1k-2k rpm and accelerate just fine in normal traffic.  Your Accord couldn't keep it in that range and keep up with traffic because 1.  It doesn't make enough power to do that.  And 2. the gearing is too wide to be able to shift at such a low rpm and keep the revs in that tight of an rpm range.

Seriously, :wtf:  I expected better out of you cougs.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on September 29, 2011, 07:33:10 AM

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

GoCougs

Guys, I'm right. Go with me on this - trust me. On this I am 100% indefeatible. This M5 will never see 1,500 rpm unless someone is dong something intentionally wrong - WAY WRONG. That wide of a power band is mostly useless in this car - short gearing, super quick tranny, only moderate red line (and actually a relatively low 6,000 rpm for peak power) and all in an ultra performance package; again, it's a byproduct not an intent.

MrH

:wtf:

This is such a fail.  No, I'm not "trusting" you on this.  I'm an engineer too.  And arguably more of a car nut (see accord vs everything arguments for reference).  Sporty also thinks you're being stupid.

If anything, a HUGE powerband, tons of torque downlow, and moderate redline would lead to lower gearing, not higher gearing.  Also, more gears = more of a range of ratios.  It most certainly will putt around at low engine speeds.  It has plenty of power to do it.  It has a fuckin eco button in the thing.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

S204STi

Hrm.  Not diggin' 'Coug's logic here.  I am excited about my use of the apostrophe though.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on September 29, 2011, 07:47:11 PM
Guys, I'm right. Go with me on this - trust me. On this I am 100% indefeatible. This M5 will never see 1,500 rpm unless someone is dong something intentionally wrong - WAY WRONG. That wide of a power band is mostly useless in this car - short gearing, super quick tranny, only moderate red line (and actually a relatively low 6,000 rpm for peak power) and all in an ultra performance package; again, it's a byproduct not an intent.

I can and do drive all day below 2k RPMs in any of the Ms and can easily keep up with traffic. This is especially true in the 1M that has peak torque at low rpms like the new M5. I don't see why the M5 would have to shift any higher than 1.5k rpm actually when driven in "eco" mode.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MrH on September 29, 2011, 07:54:27 PM
And arguably more of a car nut (see accord vs everything arguments for reference). 

Yup

GoCougs

I feel pretty lousy at the moment (vertigo seizure) so The Rock (upon which you all will brake yourselves) will return later - maybe tonight after a rest but likely tomorrow - to commence said brakage (pun intended, BTW).

GoCougs

Sorry MrH, you can't touch my car nuttiness, which no offense, I think you well know. Now, I think I'm going to lose my dinner. Ugh.

MrH

:lol:

"Fuck, I need to sleep on it to try and figure out a better way of trying to get out of this.  Maybe Ayn Rand has some words of wisedom..."
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on September 29, 2011, 08:02:10 PM
Sorry MrH, you can't touch my car nuttiness, which no offense, I think you well know. Now, I think I'm going to lose my dinner. Ugh.

Man, I know defeat is tough to stomach, but don't you think you're taking this a little hard? :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

sportyaccordy

Cougs sorry to wreak further havoc on your inner ear/digestive tract but here is a vid of a 528i w/less than half the torque and one more cog than the M5 in an experiment pretty much as you described

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p7Wr53d3itI#!

Well whaddaya know, cruise mode the thing never goes above 2200... now imagine a fast spooling turbo V8 w/double the torque and maybe 300-400lb more weight + a trans programmed to keep it at as low revs as possible in the name of efficiency

"Where we going to for breakfast"

Cookie Monster

Tomorrow I shall drive my car at 1500 rpms the whole time just to spite Cougs. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R