Edmunds: 2012 BMW M5 First Drive

Started by cawimmer430, September 23, 2011, 04:06:10 AM

Onslaught

I think Cougs could be like one of my best friends named Jon. Jon will argue anything for the fun of it. I've even seen him argue for the point of view he's against  just to make people mad. He gets off on it I think.
I learned a long time ago with him to just go along with it and it takes the fun out of it for him.

SVT666

I love watching Cougs try to claim he's right when he is so obviously wrong.

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on September 30, 2011, 12:52:17 PM
I think Cougs could be like one of my best friends named Jon. Jon will argue anything for the fun of it. I've even seen him argue for the point of view he's against  just to make people mad. He gets off on it I think.
I learned a long time ago with him to just go along with it and it takes the fun out of it for him.

But does your friend have a trackrecord of win?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: GoCougs on September 30, 2011, 08:45:59 AM
Oh, good grief. Haven't you turkeys realized that yet - those who attack acknowledge loss?

If this is the way your brain works, no wonder you hold on to so many idiotic beliefs.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 29, 2011, 08:11:48 PM
Cougs sorry to wreak further havoc on your inner ear/digestive tract but here is a vid of a 528i w/less than half the torque and one more cog than the M5 in an experiment pretty much as you described

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p7Wr53d3itI#!

Well whaddaya know, cruise mode the thing never goes above 2200... now imagine a fast spooling turbo V8 w/double the torque and maybe 300-400lb more weight + a trans programmed to keep it at as low revs as possible in the name of efficiency

"Where we going to for breakfast"

LOL - nothing adds more to my win than this video.

Lower rpm motor, higher gears, slush box AT, vastly lower performance and eco-minded car, and 0 - 40 in ~12 sec; something no one would ever do in regular driving let alone spirited driving.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on September 30, 2011, 04:10:28 PM
But does your friend have a trackrecord of win?
The problem is you think you're right about everything. None is that perfect.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on September 30, 2011, 07:33:12 PM
I know why he's single.

Onslaught

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on September 30, 2011, 07:33:12 PM

The issue here is I stated an opinion, which can never be right or wrong.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2011, 08:22:01 AM
Sure they can. Some people think the Nissan Juke or the Pontiac Aztek look good. Those opinions are wrong.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 30, 2011, 07:08:29 PM
LOL - nothing adds more to my win than this video.

Lower rpm motor, higher gears, slush box AT, vastly lower performance and eco-minded car, and 0 - 40 in ~12 sec; something no one would ever do in regular driving let alone spirited driving.
Who the hell said anything about spirited driving, I must have said cruising a hundred times

sportyaccordy

Then why have you spnt pages arguing it? You're retarded
Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2011, 08:22:01 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 01, 2011, 09:15:05 AM
Who the hell said anything about spirited driving, I must have said cruising a hundred times

I did - my opinion, my premise. 

GoCougs

S204STi

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on October 01, 2011, 08:30:29 AM
Sure they can. Some people think the Nissan Juke or the Pontiac Aztek look good. Those opinions are wrong.

The Juke looks good in an anime way. If the AWD version was available with M/T it could be quite compelling.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2011, 10:45:19 AM
The Juke looks good in an anime way. If the AWD version was available with M/T it could be quite compelling.
You see, you're wrong!

Actually, I think the Juke would look "normal" in a place like Japan. But here it just looks off.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

omicron

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 30, 2011, 12:35:07 PM
And when accelerating? It's gonna have lag.

Compared to a Ferrari V8, yes it will lag, however I would wager that compared to most cars out there lag will be minimal.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 30, 2011, 09:32:27 AM
They failed absolutely miserably especially with context and experience (not including Omi) in conjunction with coming perilously close to my all-time car "enthusiast" uber fail that is torque vs. hp.

At least Omi had some facts and calcs but IMO doesn't quite get the context or the practicalities (turbo lag) of the assertion of Doing it Wrong: having 500 lb-ft at 1,500 rpm in this car is essentially useless.

I forget how many times I have seen people replace their gasoline cars with diesels of similar output and exclaim how "powerful" the car is. Now of course you are right that the car really does not have more power. However most people view something that pulls out of the rev basement as being powerful. Powerful being defined as not having to rev the thing to make it go.

sportyaccordy

I will bet Cougs has never driven a diesel or turbo car, so mentioning either is pretty pointless. He's going off what he's read and concluded

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on October 03, 2011, 07:36:46 AM
I forget how many times I have seen people replace their gasoline cars with diesels of similar output and exclaim how "powerful" the car is. Now of course you are right that the car really does not have more power. However most people view something that pulls out of the rev basement as being powerful. Powerful being defined as not having to rev the thing to make it go.

Isn't that kinda mostly lost in the world of 6+ speed ATs and electronic throttle mapping?

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on October 03, 2011, 09:52:36 AM
Isn't that kinda mostly lost in the world of 6+ speed ATs and electronic throttle mapping?

The typical 4 banger forced to high rpm is not exactly something to be desired. Also you complained about turbo lag; what about the lag when the transmission shifts? If more then one gear needs to be skipped then even the DSGs run into difficulty. I am not certain what throttle mapping has to do with it.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on October 03, 2011, 10:06:55 AM
The typical 4 banger forced to high rpm is not exactly something to be desired. Also you complained about turbo lag; what about the lag when the transmission shifts? If more then one gear needs to be skipped then even the DSGs run into difficulty. I am not certain what throttle mapping has to do with it.

But that is precisely what all these gears are for these days; to keep them up in the rev range when needed.

Whether shifting or not turbo lag will be less with more revs.

Aggressive throttle mapping can mask/screen lag to some extent.

hotrodalex

Who in their right mind complains about an engine having 500+ ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm?  :nutty:

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2011, 07:36:23 PM
Who in their right mind complains about an engine having 500+ ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm?  :nutty:

People who use the inverse of Hooke's law as a proxy for units of torque.