Do you care about the gas mileage you get?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, September 23, 2011, 08:32:47 PM

Colonel Cadillac

As I was thrashing my car on the way back to my sister's place tonight getting terrible gas mileage, I was wondering if you guys care about your mileage and drive like granny's to get the best bang for your buck.

For me, I don't care because driving is the one thing that is truly blissful and worrying about my MPG's kills the fun. I cared for a few weeks this year, but I hated every minute of that driving style. I guess it's just part of the cost of an expensive hobby.

MrH

Nope, not at all.  If I want better fuel economy, I'll buy a more fuel efficient car.

I get 21 mpg in the miata around town.  That's nearly unheard of.  :praise:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

I thrash the hell out of an economy car and get 30 mpg. For me, it comes down to vehicle choice rather than driving style. I can't control myself enough to get good mileage in a fast car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Yes, but not in the way it effects my driving. I keep track of my mileage, but mostly becuase it will occasionally let me know when something is wrong. The Civic gets about 30MPG overall.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Yes I care, but it shows up in vehicle choice rather than driving style.  I wouldn't slow down for better mileage.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Eh, I don't drive enough miles (in my personal cars) in a year to care. (I don't really care what the work trucks get, but that's largely because it's always super shitty-- we got 7.8 MPG in our Dodge as we drove around the mountains with a 10,000 pound trailer last week). The difference around town between bad, thrashed MPG in the Explorer and good, slow MPG is, like 3 MPG, at most.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

No.

No point in trying to eek good mpg's out of a Miata. I could get a hybrid for that.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rich

I do when I'm on the highway.  Those are miles spent not accelerating, so I could care less if I'm in a high powered car.  I'd want the most MPGs I could get.

Around town I don't care since I can have fun with the gas pedal
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

I do for the first 10 miles after I fill up. Then I forget and my lead foot comes back.

FlatBlackCaddy

Do I care???

Shiiiit.

I normally pump a few gallons onto the ground for my fallen homies.

I don't give a fu....ck!

TBR

Definitely, there's a 5+ mpg difference for me and on a tight budget that does make an impact.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 23, 2011, 08:32:47 PM
For me, I don't care because driving is the one thing that is truly blissful and worrying about my MPG's kills the fun. I cared for a few weeks this year, but I hated every minute of that driving style. I guess it's just part of the cost of an expensive hobby.

Same here. I should care, but when I tried to drive to conserve fuel, I ran out of patience very quickly. It reminded me of when I had to bum rides from my dad, who drives in a very leisurely manner.

SVT666

I currently spend about $50 a week on fuel and I average about 22 MPG with 80% highway driving (rated at 18/23) and it drinks Premium only.  I could easily get away with driving a Mustang GT (17/26) or a Dodge Charger R/T (16/25) and get the same or slightly better fuel economy.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on September 23, 2011, 09:57:04 PM
Yes I care, but it shows up in vehicle choice rather than driving style.  I wouldn't slow down for better mileage.
Ditto.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 23, 2011, 10:57:32 PM
Do I care???

Shiiiit.

I normally pump a few gallons onto the ground for my fallen homies.

I don't give a fu....ck!

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

Like other posters have said, I don't care enough to alter my driving style, because it wouldn't make much of a difference, but I cared enough to buy a frugal car in the first place.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cawimmer430

Of course I do. Gas is expensive. Every milliliter is precious.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Wow, I can't imagine ever caring, especially when buying a new car. As much as I deride it, warmology is at least a quasi rational basis for caring but finances simply isn't, at least in the US whereby depreciation is such a major hit in the first three years. A person will never be remotely close to being financially ahead buying a brand new Civic that gets ~35 MPG vs. a low mileage '05 Civic that gets ~31 MPG.

68_427

Yes.  I've burned through $60 of gas in less than a week.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Byteme

Depends on what I'm driving.

In the Jaguar, I didn't really care.  
In the 3 and 6 I expect decent mileage and generally drive to get it, although I don't get close to driving like a hypermiler; I just drive more sensibably in those two cars.
In the Miata I generally get 29-30 and drive somewhat aggressively.

Lebowski

This sounds bad but I could care less.  I average probably 10mpg in the Vette which is terrible, but I tend to be either driving aggressively or stuck in traffic (plus my commute is so short it never really warms up).  My 4Runner gets a little better mileage in the city but worse on the highway.  The vette actually gets good highway mileage.

But I only drive ~8k miles per year so it just isn't that material for me.

MX793

I cared about it a bit more when I was driving 25K miles a year, but not as much anymore.  I care about it in the sense that I calculate what I averaged on any particular tank, though I don't keep a record beyond a mental note of what I typically get, what my best ever tank was and roughly what my worst was.

I also care in the sense that if I am buying a new car and am comparing two similar vehicles (size, performance, etc) and one gets considerably better mileage than the other (or one requires premium while another requires regular), I'll give some points to the one with the lower fuel cost.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on September 24, 2011, 09:32:07 AM
Wow, I can't imagine ever caring, especially when buying a new car. As much as I deride it, warmology is at least a quasi rational basis for caring but finances simply isn't, at least in the US whereby depreciation is such a major hit in the first three years. A person will never be remotely close to being financially ahead buying a brand new Civic that gets ~35 MPG vs. a low mileage '05 Civic that gets ~31 MPG.

That isn't how I understood the question. I took it to be talking about driving style, not car choice. And, I don't think it is unreasonable for people to consider gas mileage when considering what type of car they want.

CALL_911

I care, because my parents pay for gas. If I paid for my own gas, I wouldn't.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2011, 12:17:57 PM
I care, because my parents pay for gas. If I paid for my own gas, I wouldn't.

You're a parent's dream.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on September 24, 2011, 12:32:58 PM
You're a parent's dream.

Not really. If someone bought you a nice car and is paying for gas, the least you can do is not be a douche about it.

That, and I'm only getting 29-30 mpg per tank (mind you, this is a smallish VW. I'm sure I could do 2-3 mpg better). Guess my words and actions don't quite align.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2011, 12:36:33 PM
Not really. If someone bought you a nice car and is paying for gas, the least you can do is not be a douche about it.

That, and I'm only getting 29-30 mpg per tank (mind you, this is a smallish VW. I'm sure I could do 2-3 mpg better). Guess my words and actions don't quite align.

I'm very happy to get 29-30 mpg.  I do much better on the highway than around town, but most of my driving is the latter.  I only get about 19 mpg or so around town, and about 30-32 mpg on the highway, depending on how fast I go.

Lots of kids whose parents buy them nice cars are total douches, so you deserve some points for not going down that path, man.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 24, 2011, 12:36:33 PM

Haha I absolutely took the opposite approach.