***WF: AC Cobras & The Girls***

Started by cawimmer430, September 25, 2011, 02:00:25 PM

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on September 26, 2011, 03:04:14 PM
In Europe they call them AC Cobras because they were assembled by AC Cars and badged as such. About 10% of the total Cobra production was built by AC. Instead of AC shipping the bodies to Shelby, Shelby shipped the drivetrains to AC. Shelby-produced cars carried the familiar 'CSX____' VINs; ACs had 'COB' (right-hand-drive models for the UK) and 'COX' (left-hand-drive for the rest of Europe) VINs.

These AC-produced Cobras had AC badges and came with the 289 V8. Production of AC Cobras started after Shelby ditched the 260 V8 for the 289, and due to fuel economy concerns AC never bothered to build 427/428s. Coil-sprung Mk III Cobras built by AC retained the narrower body and 289 V8 of the Mk II Shelbys.

Legally speaking the rights to the Cobra design belonged to Shelby and AC produced Cobras under licence, but it's not totally inaccurate for Chris to speak of an "AC Cobra".
It is if it's not the narrow body 289.

Galaxy

I have also always known them as AC Cobras.  :lol:

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

93JC

See? See? You-rope-peons call them ACs. Even if it's a wide-body 427 (replica).

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on September 27, 2011, 12:55:10 AM
See? See? You-rope-peons call them ACs. Even if it's a wide-body 427 (replica).

Rope peons? That's new.

I'm not sure I know what that is, and neither do you SINCE YOU ARE UNABLE TO LEAVE THE FUCKING CONTINENT EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OF YOUR LIFE!
Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

I've always known these cars as "AC Cobras" - and as you can see, all European members here call them by that name as well.  :ohyeah:

I've shown the photos I took to a professional photographer friend of mine who shoots models. I told him to be completely honest with me as to the theme (AC Cobras and Dirndl chicks in this industrial hall). He likes it. It's unusual and that works for him. I asked him once again, BE HONEST WITH ME, and he genuinely seems to like the theme.

I guess it works for some and it doesn't work for others.

I love Dodge Diplomats, you guys hate them!  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on September 26, 2011, 12:07:46 PM
Yep, I confused the Ace and the Cobra, because Wims was calling them AC Cobras.

IIRC, they were sometimes called AC Cobras in print ads in the US as well, and were also refer to that was in contemporary road tests.

Byteme

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 27, 2011, 06:58:29 AM
Familiarity breeds contempt

Let's ignore the quality issues of that car one moment and just focus on the cool design. 

Nice.  :praise:

See where I am coming from? It looks cool. Anyway, no need to go off-topic and get hate mail from the rest of the forum!  :thumbsup:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Here's a "Making of" video. I'm the tall guy with the yellow photographer jacket and the shaved head.  :ohyeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-toZtvoM0

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

Quote from: mzziaz on September 27, 2011, 02:48:08 AM
Rope peons? That's new.

I'm not sure I know what that is, and neither do you SINCE YOU ARE UNABLE TO LEAVE THE FUCKING CONTINENT EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OF YOUR LIFE!

lol

93JC

I think our resident Swede Dane Norwegian really wants to meet me.

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on September 30, 2011, 11:14:29 PM
I think our resident Swede Dane Norwegian really wants to meet me.

I'm just looking out for your interests. I would kill to be in your position. Fuck, I'm trying to convince the Frau to do a few days at a major euro city the upcoming week.
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Preview of a photo. Been working all day today on some of the shots from this shoot. I am so tired!  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 10, 2011, 12:05:48 PM
Preview of a photo. Been working all day today on some of the shots from this shoot. I am so tired!  :cry:

Great photo, but to me she has become the subject of the photos rather than the car because she is so out of place.

SVT666

I love this photo.  You got Shelby's autograph in there getting the viewer thinking, "Coooooooooool, it's even autographed" and then "Whoa! What's that? A pretty girl in a Cobra?  Damn."

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on October 11, 2011, 02:01:28 PM
Great photo, but to me she has become the subject of the photos rather than the car because she is so out of place.

Yep. I agree with you. And the focus in this case is supposed to be on her (notice how the light also defines her) while the cars are sort off "background props". The client wanted most of the focus of the shoot to be on the models in the first place with the cars simply being "just there".  ;)

Quote from: SVT666 on October 11, 2011, 02:04:24 PM
I love this photo.  You got Shelby's autograph in there getting the viewer thinking, "Coooooooooool, it's even autographed" and then "Whoa! What's that? A pretty girl in a Cobra?  Damn."

:cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Nice pics, nice cars, pretty girls!

Saw a Cobra (probably replica) in Ladenburg, small village near Mannheim. Seems in Germany they're considered like old NICE Ferraris or Porsches are in the US.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 13, 2011, 09:42:58 AM
Nice pics, nice cars, pretty girls!

Saw a Cobra (probably replica) in Ladenburg, small village near Mannheim. Seems in Germany they're considered like old NICE Ferraris or Porsches are in the US.

Thanks!

Had a shoot with a nude model today. Can't post the pictures here because titties and ****** are evil! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

So, what happened to the 2 car 2 model theme? :confused:

Great photo, btw :ohyeah:.  I'd buy that calendar.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 13, 2011, 02:00:55 PM
So, what happened to the 2 car 2 model theme? :confused:

Great photo, btw :ohyeah:.  I'd buy that calendar.

There are some photos of two models and one car, one model and two cars, two models and two cars.  :ohyeah:

Thanks for compliments!  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

[/quote]
Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 25, 2011, 02:25:52 PM
All of them are replicas except for this one on the right, which apparently is as real as it gets. It's even signed by Carroll Shelby.

It could be a Superformance 427.  They were licensed by Shelby and also have his signature on the dash.  The blue with grey stripe, I believe, is a Superformance combo.  I'm not sure if it was on any of  the originals.  The way to tell for sure is to take in out on the autobahn and open it up.  It should sound just like this. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 13, 2011, 02:48:03 PM
It could be a Superformance 427.  They were licensed by Shelby and also have his signature on the dash.  The blue with grey stripe, I believe, is a Superformance combo.  I'm not sure if it was on any of  the originals. 

I need to ask the guy.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 13, 2011, 02:48:03 PMThe way to tell for sure is to take in out on the autobahn and open it up.  It should sound just like this. :ohyeah:

^That's him on the Autobahn.^  :lol:

Trust me, these things sound murderous! I rode in the Shelby Cobra and I was literally deaf for three days afterwards.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 27, 2011, 04:13:20 AM
TEASER

You know this is actually a welcome change from the high heeled, bikini clad skanks one usually sees on the cover of custom car mags.

Nice pictures.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 27, 2011, 06:21:30 AM
You know this is actually a welcome change from the high heeled, bikini clad skanks one usually sees on the cover of custom car mags.

Nice pictures.

Thanks.  ;)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of girls in bikinis posing with cars. The emphasis on their visual sexuality in that regard doesn't really fit it with the machine next to them and it's been so overdone in the past, present and future.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 27, 2011, 06:24:31 AM
Thanks.  ;)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of girls in bikinis posing with cars. The emphasis on their visual sexuality in that regard doesn't really fit it with the machine next to them and it's been so overdone in the past, present and future.  :tounge:

It doesn't help that most of them look like you'd need to follow around behind them with a bottle of disinfectant and a rag.    :devil:

cawimmer430

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 28, 2011, 10:15:16 AM
It doesn't help that most of them look like you'd need to follow around behind them with a bottle of disinfectant and a rag.    :devil:

My sentiments exactly.  :praise:

I've never been particularly impressed with some half-naked chick standing next to a car acting all sexy. To me it's pointless and just serves to distract from what the true focus should be: the rusty 1974 Ford LTD next to her.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de