The next 3.....

Started by MexicoCityM3, September 30, 2011, 03:58:53 PM

AltinD

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 17, 2011, 10:11:55 AM
That?s because in the VW?s it is plastic leatherette. :tounge:

I am talking about leather.

None of my VW came with leatherete. Leatherete is mostly for North Americans who despise fabric on their premium cars.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

sportyaccordy

Leather is kind of dumb for cars, esp high performance ones.

Hachee

I'm sort of embarassed to admit this, but here goes...

Most of my cars over the years have all been bought or leased new, and so I knew that they came with leather.  While I never owned one, I had some experience with older 3 Series, and I knew that the leather wasn't all that much better or different than the "leatherette", and since all German made BMWs have a distinctive smell, it wasn't always easy to distinguish between the two.  When I bought my 2004 325xi, it was 3 years old with about 21K miles on it.  It was in mint condition (and since I don't use it much, it still is and has only 32K miles on it, 5 years later).  The info on the car showed "silver, black leather, premium, etc", but there was no original window sticker.  I assumed because it had the premium pack, with wood and memory seats and all that, the seats were leather.  I checked my old brochure, and leather was an option on top of the premium package.  I didn't expect the leather to be soft like that of a 7-Series, and it's not.  But a few years into having the car, I started to think, "hey, these ain't leather!".  The truth is, I'm still not even sure, but I don't really care, and the seats will probably hold up better if they're not.

The point is, the base leather in these things isn't that great, and the leatherette is a pretty good simulation.  I think I know a decent bit about cars, so I do feel a little dopish.  Hmm, I wonder if I have any recourse against the BMW dealer where I bought the car! 

And for what it's worth, I can't really find a compelling reason to replace this car with anything else, including a new 3, although I definitely like the new F30 more than the E90. 

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 18, 2011, 10:28:02 AM
Leather is awesome.  I hate fabric seats.

NomisR

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

93JC

You should try velour seats. A guy I knew in high school inherited his parents' Buick Electra, complete with blue velour seats. Being in that car was like sitting on an old sofa my grandparents might have owned in the 1970s.

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
You should try velour seats. A guy I knew in high school inherited his parents' Buick Electra, complete with blue velour seats. Being in that car was like sitting on an old sofa my grandparents might have owned in the 1970s.

80s Velour luxury seats were AWESOME.  A friend of mine in high school had an early 80s Olds Cutlass coupe with the cushy velour bucket seats.  They had no bolstering, but they didn't need any because you just sunk into them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Yeah, this was one of the last Electras, from the '80s.

AltinD

Quote from: NomisR on October 18, 2011, 05:34:10 PM
Suede

Alcantara is NOT suede ... but yeah, alcantara s great for the seating surface, but NOT for the entire seat and ESPECIALLY not for the cabin and dash lining

omicron

Alcantara is ghastly in large quantities. The leather bolster/Alcantara centre I can live with, but the entire seat? The headlining? Ugh.

The seats in mid-'90s Caprices were rather nice - suede inserts at the shoulders and knees to prevent sliding about.

CJ

Quote from: AltinD on October 19, 2011, 04:48:15 AM
Alcantara is NOT suede ... but yeah, alcantara s great for the seating surface, but NOT for the entire seat and ESPECIALLY not for the cabin and dash lining

From 1998-2000, Volvo's V70R had real suede inserts in the seats, NOT Alcantara.  ACTUAL suede is quite nice.

NomisR

Quote from: CJ on October 19, 2011, 08:41:48 AM

From 1998-2000, Volvo's V70R had real suede inserts in the seats, NOT Alcantara.  ACTUAL suede is quite nice.

yeah, the thing is, they're more likely to wear out and more difficult to maintain. 

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

NomisR

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

NomisR

Galaxy

The picture of the blue one looks better, for some reason the nose does not seem to slope so much as with the red one posted earlier.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2011, 01:27:59 PM
So they're pulling a Porsche?
Or a Camry. It's a solid business plan. Esp w/so many 3 series leasees

SVT666

I really like it.  The headlights are much nicer than the ugly ass ones found on the current car. 

NomisR

What does the wagon look like?  Are they actually bringing it over?

2o6

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2011, 07:07:42 PM
What does the wagon look like?  Are they actually bringing it over?

They've only released the sedan, so far. They have confirmed the wagon for the US, but no pictures of the production coupe or wagon have surfaced yet.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 19, 2011, 07:45:39 PM
They've only released the sedan, so far. They have confirmed the wagon for the US, but no pictures of the production coupe or wagon have surfaced yet.

I hope it doesn't look like ass like the current 3, and they have more models than just the 328 or whatever they're going to call the lowest end model.

68_427

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2011, 08:00:23 PM
I hope it doesn't look like ass like the current 3, and they have more models than just the 328 or whatever they're going to call the lowest end model.

Considering the sedan look almost identical....
'racecar is die'
no

AltinD

Quote from: omicron on October 19, 2011, 07:02:23 AM
Alcantara is ghastly in large quantities. The leather bolster/Alcantara centre I can live with, but the entire seat? The headlining? Ugh.

That's what I also said

PS. I have the combo you mentioned in my car.

hotrodalex

Quote from: omicron on October 19, 2011, 07:02:23 AM

I wish they went back to the old school headliners. Those are so much better than the fuzzy crap glued to cardboard that come in cars now.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 20, 2011, 05:10:38 PM
I wish they went back to the old school headliners. Those are so much better than the fuzzy crap glued to cardboard that come in cars now.
The headliner could be made of human skin and I wouldn't even notice.  The last time I even looked (never mind felt) the headliner in any car was with my ass when I was pound.......

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 18, 2011, 10:28:02 AM

I like leather. The best combo I ever saw was on a Turbo Esprit. The bolsters were made of soft grey suede and the centers were blue leather
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

850CSi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 19, 2011, 02:02:41 PM
Or a Camry. It's a solid business plan. Esp w/so many 3 series leasees

Heh, my car will apparently be 12 years old before it looks outdated. :lol:

cawimmer430

I don't even know why I am posting this here since I planned on quitting Carspin for good last week...

Saw the new 3-Series three times today together with Colin.

WHAT A BORING CAR.  :zzz:

I felt absolutely nothing when I saw this bland car. The rear looks like a 5er. In fact both of us ignored this red new 3er in front of us because we thought it was a 5er! It was only until Colin thought that there was something "different" about this 5er that we began to take a closer look. The license plate certainly is a BMW company plate. Turns out the red car was the new 3er.

Yawn.  :zzz:

On the Autobahn to Dingolfing...

Nice "5-Series"!

The second 3er, spotted about 30 minutes after the ^first one^...

A pre-production 3er model at MERCEDES-BENZ MUNICH of all places with a Z1 (second one Colin and I saw today) next to it. No threat to the C-Class in terms of design at all.

Now this is hot. Not the new 3er.  :praise:

BUT HEY, IT'S RWD. THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS! PENILE ERECTION TIME!!!  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie