The next 3.....

Started by MexicoCityM3, September 30, 2011, 03:58:53 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 11, 2011, 06:01:13 PM
Why not something with a 2.0T or the 1.4 twincharge?

DIESEL - I need and want a diesel. Great gas mileage, battleship torque and FUN.

Again, I'm not interested in performance. This is a car purely for my business. The economical engine gives me range and allows me to visit clients further away at lower cost. With the 118i I constantly have to fill up...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 11, 2011, 03:22:21 PM
I understand the difference completely and I cannot relate to this "completely unreliable European POS car" talk at all. I've never experienced this in our cars and the cars of my friends or clients. Either our cars heading your way get some other electrical systems or you complain about little issues and make an elephant out of them.

Nikasil on engine cylinder linings + poor US fuel quality = that problem.  :huh:

The 1990s were a crap time for German cars. The word cost-cutting was practiced at these firms due to economic and competitive reasons. Naturally quality suffered.

But the quality they offer today is nothing like the quality from the mid-1990s. It's much, much, much better.

Lol, so your cars never experienced problems, but you admit the 1990s were a bad time for German cars quality wise. Cmon Wim

Not to mention, it's OK for you to abhor any kind of performance in a daily driver, but completely asinine for any American to not care about style or H&H in theirs. You don't make any sense

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 12, 2011, 03:59:18 AM
DIESEL - I need and want a diesel. Great gas mileage, battleship torque and FUN.

Again, I'm not interested in performance. This is a car purely for my business. The economical engine gives me range and allows me to visit clients further away at lower cost. With the 118i I constantly have to fill up...

Golf GTD.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 11, 2011, 05:41:21 PM
It is. A truly great car built on the VW Passat platform.

I need help financing it but I'm pretty much set on getting a used model beginning next year (January/February). I'm looking for a Combi with the 140-hp 2.0 TDI engine, FWD/AWD and DSG transmission. Elegance trim would be great (wood interior etc.).

This would be my dream Superb Combi - those rims, that color and that interior trim (sans the leather seats, I hate leather seats).

But this is the most important part - SPACE!

Here's a BMW 1-Series trunk.  :facepalm:

We have a Superb in the family, it's a 1.9 TDI SE saloon.  Believe it or not we didn't think there was significantly more luggage space in the estate to make it worth while, especially given the twindoor opening system on the saloon that can also open like a hatch.

2.0 TDI will be fine in this car.  I think the hp figures quoted by VW are usually conservative.  The Elegance is nice but has larger alloys so the ride would be poorer.  SE has good spec including alacantra and a great stereo.  I wouldn't pay more for an Elegance.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2011, 06:45:42 AM
Golf GTD.

Expensive, you can get the equivalent Audi A3 TDI 170 for less here in the UK anyway.

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 11, 2011, 05:49:12 PMThe 140-hp TDI has 320 Nm of torque.

And that's exactly the amount of torque my 250 HP Passat VR6 (3.2 petrol) has.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

mzziaz

I'd probably take the C5 over the Superb.
Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Quote from: mzziaz on October 12, 2011, 07:21:32 AM
I'd probably take the C5 over the Superb.

You would, Frenchie.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AltinD on October 12, 2011, 07:16:02 AM
And that's exactly the amount of torque my 250 HP Passat VR6 (3.2 petrol) has.
:huh:

68_427

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 12, 2011, 06:56:40 AM
We have a Superb in the family, it's a 1.9 TDI SE saloon.  Believe it or not we didn't think there was significantly more luggage space in the estate to make it worth while, especially given the twindoor opening system on the saloon that can also open like a hatch.

2.0 TDI will be fine in this car.  I think the hp figures quoted by VW are usually conservative.  The Elegance is nice but has larger alloys so the ride would be poorer.  SE has good spec including alacantra and a great stereo.  I wouldn't pay more for an Elegance.

Wimmer probably has some things he'd rather not have to collapse.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on October 12, 2011, 08:46:23 AM

Yeah, but blow up dolls ride fine in the passenger cabin and allow you to use the carpool lane. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2011, 06:45:42 AM
Golf GTD.

Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI 170 HP DSG Acceleration 0-140 km/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxckT5ZLkUc

The 140-hp TDI version should be just fine.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 06:24:59 AM
Lol, so your cars never experienced problems, but you admit the 1990s were a bad time for German cars quality wise. Cmon Wim

Yep. The cars weren't as well built or tested as previous models.

They were still decent and better than people make them out to be. The cars produced today are much better.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 06:24:59 AMNot to mention, it's OK for you to abhor any kind of performance in a daily driver, but completely asinine for any American to not care about style or H&H in theirs. You don't make any sense

Why do I need performance? Performance is relative. Hell, I'm happy with the basic performance of an automatic 143-hp BMW 118i. Nowhere in my daily driving do I depend on ultra low 0-60 times or the 1/4 mile performance. Why should I buy a fast car for those few times where I desire some sport or something? Most of the driving I do is driving directly to my clients within our out of the city. I also do long-range driving. I require gas mileage and range and not serious performance. A car that does 0-100 km/h in under 10 seconds is completely ok in my book. That's about the time the 118i takes from 0-100 km/h and I've NEVER had any problems overtaking on tight country roads or on the highways.

What doesn't make sense to me is all the people out there slamming a 6 second 0-100 km/h car because it is "slow", but a 5.5 second car is ok. And all that bullshit "For $ 12,000 I expect a 895875878954754789577747487-hp V8 in this car!" crap. I get the impression all those "car enthusiasts" out there really don't know how to drive for shit if they need on low 0-60 times to overtake and feel safe. They also seem to drive their cars HARD ALL DAY mashing the pedal at every opportunity. Sorry, but that's not driving - that's racing. Hell, maybe I should take a video of me driving somewhere in a lowly 118i showing how easy it is to overtake long convoys of trucks and use the power this car has to offer in daily driving. It's called INTELLIGENT DRIVING.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 12, 2011, 06:56:40 AM

I do need the station wagon because of my softboxes - the wagon offers just a bit more space as a whole than the sedan. It's just more practical for me overall.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 12, 2011, 06:56:40 AM2.0 TDI will be fine in this car.  I think the hp figures quoted by VW are usually conservative.  The Elegance is nice but has larger alloys so the ride would be poorer.  SE has good spec including alacantra and a great stereo.  I wouldn't pay more for an Elegance.

I'm buying it used, so I am really just looking for an Elegance trim model with the 140-hp TDI engine and the DSG. Ultimately the engine/transmission combination is more important to me and I wouldn't mind the Comfort/Ambition trim levels either.

Thanks for the info though.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 68_427 on October 12, 2011, 08:46:23 AM

Exactly - softboxes. They're hard to setup on location since it takes awhile to set them up. I'd rather have them already set up inside the car!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 12, 2011, 01:10:14 PM
Why do I need performance? Performance is relative. Hell, I'm happy with the basic performance of an automatic 143-hp BMW 118i. Nowhere in my daily driving do I depend on ultra low 0-60 times or the 1/4 mile performance. Why should I buy a fast car for those few times where I desire some sport or something? Most of the driving I do is driving directly to my clients within our out of the city. I also do long-range driving. I require gas mileage and range and not serious performance. A car that does 0-100 km/h in under 10 seconds is completely ok in my book. That's about the time the 118i takes from 0-100 km/h and I've NEVER had any problems overtaking on tight country roads or on the highways.

What doesn't make sense to me is all the people out there slamming a 6 second 0-100 km/h car because it is "slow", but a 5.5 second car is ok. And all that bullshit "For $ 12,000 I expect a 895875878954754789577747487-hp V8 in this car!" crap. I get the impression all those "car enthusiasts" out there really don't know how to drive for shit if they need on low 0-60 times to overtake and feel safe. They also seem to drive their cars HARD ALL DAY mashing the pedal at every opportunity. Sorry, but that's not driving - that's racing. Hell, maybe I should take a video of me driving somewhere in a lowly 118i showing how easy it is to overtake long convoys of trucks and use the power this car has to offer in daily driving. It's called INTELLIGENT DRIVING.

Why do I need H&H? I have a fancy badge on my car, but that's not what makes my drive enjoyable. What does is the generous torque and power, thoughtful suspension tuning and chassis design, and solid construction quality. None of that stuff requires H&H or a fancy badge; you can get all that stuff in a Hyundai, and it'll be just as enjoyable to drive as an entry-level Caddy or C-class.

I don't doubt that a 143-hp BMW 1-series is perfectly adequate for daily driving; hoardes of people poke around with less power in Corollas and Priuses all the time. But something has to justify the higher price tag BESIDES a fancy badge and H&H. It doesn't necessarily have to be more power, but it has to be something that quantifiably enhances the driver's experience. For example, one might choose a BMW 128i over a cheaper and more powerful V6 Mustang or Camaro because they value sharper and more nimble handling. But what exactly does H&H add to the driving experience?

Laconian

Wrong question. It should be, "what does H&H add to my sex appeal?"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 12, 2011, 01:10:14 PM
Yep. The cars weren't as well built or tested as previous models.

They were still decent and better than people make them out to be. The cars produced today are much better.

You're making shit up/exaggerating.

My point was and still is, you can't get angry when people question your choices in cars while you do the same to others. If you want to pay more for a BMW with the performance + functionality of a Corolla because of it's roundel, fine. But don't bash someone who doesn't care about that horseshit for buying the Corolla.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Laconian on October 12, 2011, 01:48:07 PM
Wrong question. It should be, "what does H&H add to my sex appeal?"

Hah! Good point. But F my life if I'm driving a 1-series or A/B-class because I'm hoping to get hot and heavy in the leatherette-clad back seat.

AltinD

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 01:49:59 PM
You're making shit up/exaggerating.

My point was and still is, you can't get angry when people question your choices in cars while you do the same to others. If you want to pay more for a BMW with the performance + functionality of a Corolla because of it's roundel, fine. But don't bash someone who doesn't care about that horseshit for buying the Corolla.

You should drive that BMW and Corolla back-to-back. Even you would be able to understand then.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Galaxy

Well apparently car thieves in Germany do not care about H&H. The most stolen car in Germany is the Lexus RX 400h.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AltinD on October 13, 2011, 04:24:29 AM

You should drive that BMW and Corolla back-to-back. Even you would be able to understand then.
Actually last week I DID drive a 650i & a Corolla back to back. The 650i was nice for sure, but I didn't get that sinking feeling I used to when jumping from a nice car to a "wack" one. Are you guys so dumb you seriously can't understand that not everyone thinks like you? Most people just want basic transportation and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

CJ

If you can afford to get a Corolla or the like, then you probably can't afford to get a 3-Series.  Just saying.  In Germany, you can get a BMW for the price of a Corolla, but you just can't do that here.

sportyaccordy

Is a BMW in the Corolla's price bracket that much better?

Wimmer's 118i doesn't sound all that great, all he does is complain about it. He prob would have been better served by a Matrix (if they sold it there)

CALL_911

Quote from: AltinD on October 13, 2011, 04:24:29 AM

You should also try paying for that BMW and that Corolla back-to-back. Unless you use the same reasoning you tend to use on this board, you'd see the value proposition in the Corolla.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on October 13, 2011, 10:28:43 AM
In Germany, you can get a BMW for the price of a Corolla, but you just can't do that here.

I doubt that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 13, 2011, 10:48:06 AM
I doubt that.

I'm sure there's a BMW you can buy for the price of a Corolla.  A completely stripped base model with no power features BMW for the price of a well equipped Corolla.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on October 13, 2011, 09:26:21 PM

I'm sure there's a BMW you can buy for the price of a Corolla.  A completely stripped base model with no power features BMW for the price of a well equipped Corolla.

A basic 1-series with no options, versus an Auris with all the boxes checked and the biggest diesel offered.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 13, 2011, 10:42:36 AM
Is a BMW in the Corolla's price bracket that much better?

Wimmer's 118i doesn't sound all that great, all he does is complain about it. He prob would have been better served by a Matrix (if they sold it there)

They sell the Auris, which is mechanically very similar to our Corolla.