How not to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo

Started by GoCougs, October 02, 2011, 02:42:41 PM

2o6

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all, especially since we've all been messed over by mechanics at one point in time. Just because he calls himself a mechanic doesn't make him automatically better than you.

Rupert

On the other hand, just because you think you can do something doesn't mean you can do it well.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

I've got to be honest, this thread has me shopping 911 Turbos.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on October 15, 2011, 08:32:33 AM
Doing exhaust requires no special tools Cougs.  In fact, putting an exhaust system on is one of the easier things to do.  With regards to the wheel bearing, if he reassembles everything properly, I also don't see why the repair can't be done properly.

Welder.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on October 16, 2011, 12:35:14 AM
On the other hand, just because you think you can do something doesn't mean you can do it well.

I'm mostly leading with the fact that this is almost an exotic car. A differential replacement on the most basic of vehicles is a fairly big task.

Unless he uses a hub puller, bearing spreader and a hydraulic press, he's going to screw up the wheel bearings.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on October 16, 2011, 08:18:03 AM
Welder.

5 minutes of research shows all of the bolt on replacement exhausted are flanged... Meaning the OEM system is also flanged

...meaning no welder...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on October 16, 2011, 08:31:06 AM
I'm mostly leading with the fact that this is almost an exotic car. A differential replacement on the most basic of vehicles is a fairly big task.

Unless he uses a hub puller, bearing spreader and a hydraulic press, he's going to screw up the wheel bearings.

Im not sure if you're being serious here. Using those tools is the only way to fix this on most any modern car...

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: GoCougs on October 15, 2011, 07:22:48 AM
Update; my friend is back in town and called me yesterday.

A little more info on the car. It's actually an '01 and not an '04. He had the inspection done by the largest Porsche dealer in Dallas. He fought with them but finally got his $200 inspection fee back.

As to the front diff problem, he has taken apart the front end of the car and is convinced it's only a wheel bearing. He says Porsche will not sell parts for the front end of this car (purposefully leave part numbers of the shop manual so he is left with taking things apart and trying to decipher which replacement bearings to buy). Sounds like a scam but he says he's checked with dealers and Innertard forums and this is what he's found. It's probably going to be a half-baked if not make it worse as many home-grown repairs typically go. He also bought a spare front diff online for $1,000 just in case.

As to the oil pressure problem, it's the gauge. With this car if the oil pressure actually does drop it throws a must-reset check engine light. Hasn't happened, plus more often than not the gauge reads 0 psi and the car still runs fine so it does appear to be the gauge.

The car also has a custom exhaust that is basically open pipes. He bought a stock exhaust also online and will install it himself as well.

Note to the world, this is how cars get turned into POSs - half-baked/home-grown repairs that aren't done 100%. He simply doesn't have the right tools to do wheel bearings and exhaust and though the "repair" will make things better it will fall well short of actually Doing it Right. I have to admit I'd don't more than a few POS repairs but those days are long over. It's really hard to do a repair 100% right, and why I'll never buy a car again that has been wrenched on by the former owner.

Sounds like when he's done fixing it, he should sell it and start back at square 1.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on October 15, 2011, 07:22:48 AM
Update; my friend is back in town and called me yesterday.

A little more info on the car. It's actually an '01 and not an '04. He had the inspection done by the largest Porsche dealer in Dallas. He fought with them but finally got his $200 inspection fee back.

As to the front diff problem, he has taken apart the front end of the car and is convinced it's only a wheel bearing. He says Porsche will not sell parts for the front end of this car (purposefully leave part numbers of the shop manual so he is left with taking things apart and trying to decipher which replacement bearings to buy). Sounds like a scam but he says he's checked with dealers and Innertard forums and this is what he's found. It's probably going to be a half-baked if not make it worse as many home-grown repairs typically go. He also bought a spare front diff online for $1,000 just in case.

As to the oil pressure problem, it's the gauge. With this car if the oil pressure actually does drop it throws a must-reset check engine light. Hasn't happened, plus more often than not the gauge reads 0 psi and the car still runs fine so it does appear to be the gauge.

The car also has a custom exhaust that is basically open pipes. He bought a stock exhaust also online and will install it himself as well.

Note to the world, this is how cars get turned into POSs - half-baked/home-grown repairs that aren't done 100%. He simply doesn't have the right tools to do wheel bearings and exhaust and though the "repair" will make things better it will fall well short of actually Doing it Right. I have to admit I'd don't more than a few POS repairs but those days are long over. It's really hard to do a repair 100% right, and why I'll never buy a car again that has been wrenched on by the former owner.

Huh....what....

I found a front wheel bearing for a 2001 porsche 996 turbo on Pelican Parts in 30 seconds. It's even the OEM FAG brand and it's only 50 dollars(so much for expensive german parts, that's OEM Brand for chinese napa prices).
Is your friend one of those people that tells you the opposite of something you know to be true and swears up and down that he's right?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/996J/POR_996J_SUSaxl_pg3.htm#item13

You: That doesn't sound right
Him: no man I checked it, thats how it is.
You: you sure, because I've seen it before and pretty sure you can do that
Him: no, I looked, everyone knows you cant do that. You CANT do that, I know, I checked.

I know people like that, just nod your head and move on.

GoCougs

Ha! That's exactly how the convo went down except for "everyone knows" he used "dealers said." Perhaps he was feeding me a line of bull to somehow save face or not take it to the dealer like he knows he should. I dunno. He's a solid dude so we're kosher. He's got the front end torn apart now and is well on his way. I wish him the best if but for nothing else the opportunity to drive it.

GoCougs

Was finally able to see and ride in it today. He fixed the the wheel bearing problem. It has an aftermarket exhaust which is almost open pipes. He'll soon be putting on stock exhaust. We drove around in it today. Wet and rainy as hell but still saw extra legal speeds. Decent ride too.

CJ

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

AutobahnSHO

I'd forgive him for blowing all his money like a dummy if he let me drive it.   :lol:
Will

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: omicron on November 13, 2011, 04:42:25 AM
Did it fall to bits?

He bought it with a bad front wheel bearing (dealer originally told him it was a bad front differential).

GoCougs

Couple of things...

First, it obviously came with 996 Turbo wheels. Problem here is the ratio of front to rear radius of the wheel/tire combo doesn't match the original wheels, so the center differential is getting FUBAR'd a bit the more he drives it. I have to imagine in also affects driveability too.

Second, it's cool and gets all sort of attention but it's just too much car for public roads. He was barely uncorking it and we'd hit 120 in no time.

2o6

Yeah, I think an Accord would have been a more practical choice.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on October 15, 2011, 08:32:33 AM
Doing exhaust requires no special tools Cougs.  In fact, putting an exhaust system on is one of the easier things to do.  With regards to the wheel bearing, if he reassembles everything properly, I also don't see why the repair can't be done properly.
Well, most things now should be torqued down to manufacturer's specifications with tools that most people don't have. You wouldn't believe how anal some of this shit is these days. It's not like the good ol' days when you could just go at it. Lots of this stuff calls for new bolts or nuts even if theres nothing wrong with the ones you take off.

That said, most people don't know or follow this stuff. Even the guys who work on them. Even I think some of it is shit.

Cookie Monster

Tell him to sell those wheels and replace them with these:

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on November 13, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
Couple of things...

Second, it's cool and gets all sort of attention but it's just too much car for public roads. He was barely uncorking it and we'd hit 120 in no time.
I love cars like this and would like to have some. But this is probably true for most drives. Even a car like a 350Z or RX-8 can't be used much past 1-2 gear without getting you into trouble fast. A car like this would be 100 times more painful to keep from going nuts.
This is why I like slow cars that make you feel like you're doing more then what you are.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 13, 2011, 10:36:29 PM
Yeah, I think an Accord would have been a more practical choice.

Agreed. It's faster if you average in all the time the 911 is down for service. So what true enthusiast would buy anything else?

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on November 13, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
Couple of things...

First, it obviously came with 996 Turbo wheels. Problem here is the ratio of front to rear radius of the wheel/tire combo doesn't match the original wheels, so the center differential is getting FUBAR'd a bit the more he drives it. I have to imagine in also affects driveability too.

Even the standard model is a little too much. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Yea I would be fine with a lightly modded C2S

When you can't even come close to opening a car up on a regular basis it really loses its appeal

My bike is an absolute blast up to about 80 and then not really worth pushing above that... I wouldn't mind a car like that... but cars like this seem to come into their element at like 100

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: ifcar on November 14, 2011, 06:06:27 AM
Agreed. It's faster if you average in all the time the 911 is down for service. So what true enthusiast would buy anything else?
:clap:  :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide