2013 Cadillac XTS: Cadillac Aims for Import Conquest Sales. Lofty Goal?

Started by Atomic, October 12, 2011, 04:32:02 PM

Schadenfreude

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 17, 2011, 03:56:54 PM
I think it has AWD standard. And I'll be honest, I really hope they don't make a V version.

A V-series model hasn't been decided on yet. Regardless, if they made one, it would almost certainly be AWD only.

68_427

I believe the weight it supposed to be around 3995lbs for the FWD model.  Not that bad IMO.  Considering it has more rear legroom than a 7.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Catman

I doubt the sales would be better if this was RWD.  We will see.

68_427

Quote from: Catman on November 18, 2011, 05:27:50 AM
I doubt the sales would be better if this was RWD.  We will see.

They wouldn't.  The target buyer really doesn't give a rats ass.
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Quote from: Schadenfreude on November 17, 2011, 09:53:54 PM
A V-series model hasn't been decided on yet. Regardless, if they made one, it would almost certainly be AWD only.
a v-series would be interesting, but cannot image what it would look like being so large. however, the audi S8, mercedes-benz AMG series and BMW M-badged vehicles ALL look fantastic!

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on November 18, 2011, 08:19:27 AM

+billion.

Hit the nail on the head.  Cadillac finally realizes they aren't going to steal S63 AMG buyers away, so they are targeting their usual blue hairs that are the life blood of the brand.  They can try tackle the M's and AMG's of the world with the CTS and ATS.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

IIRC, the post-bailout rationalization is that Cadillac is the sporty brand and Buick is the geriatric brand. Now Caddy is releasing this and Buick is remaking the Regal with slashes, swoops, and turbo fours???!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2011, 01:46:40 PM
IIRC, the post-bailout rationalization is that Cadillac is the sporty brand and Buick is the geriatric brand. Now Caddy is releasing this and Buick is remaking the Regal with slashes, swoops, and turbo fours???!

According to Cadillac this car isn't supposed to stay around long at all.  Kind of just a quick solution to replace a couple slow selling cars.  But I'm sure it'll be a great car.
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on November 20, 2011, 01:49:07 PM
According to Cadillac this car isn't supposed to stay around long at all.  Kind of just a quick solution to replace a couple slow selling cars.  But I'm sure it'll be a great car.
not certain if this will happen considering development costs, marketing expenses and the brand's reputation, especially if the car starts selling well. if AWD is not standard and FWD offered, i could see a switch to a RWD/AWD platform to better compete with lexus, BMW, mercedes-benz... GM's lofty goal. now this could lead to a short lifespan.

Colin

Cadillac were being a alittle coy on the stand at the LA Auto Show, but they did say that there will not be a V model per se.... however, they do expect that there will be a performance version of some sort.

It is an oddly proportioned car, as there is next to no rear overhang, though the same guy was at pains to point out that the trunk is big........ though not as big as in the STS or DTS, but then he kept saying that the whole car is deliberately smaller than either of those.

A lot of his speech was given over to CUE, the Cadillac User Experience, which sounds like their answer for Ford's sync My Touch overly complex set up.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on November 20, 2011, 01:49:07 PM

If this is just a stop-gap, then they could totally have just made this a LWB Zeta car

68_427

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 22, 2011, 09:41:54 AM
If this is just a stop-gap, then they could totally have just made this a LWB Zeta car

I'm sure that would have been expensive.  This cars platform underpins a car that starts under $30k.
'racecar is die'
no

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2011, 01:46:40 PM

Management working its wonders!

:hammerhead:

Although, in reality I think it will be profitable as a replacement for the Town Car.

93JC

Quote from: Colin on November 22, 2011, 09:13:21 AM
It is an oddly proportioned car, as there is next to no rear overhang,

:confused:

Looks pretty damned sizeable to me!

2o6

93JC

If anything it's oddly proportioned BECAUSE it has a long rear overhang.

Schadenfreude

To be honest, there's going to be a larger Cadillac that slots in above this car. The aim of this particular vehicle is targeted towards those who would be looking at purchasing a DTS or similiar vehicles.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

68_427

QuoteA non-Platinum Edition is on display at the San Francisco International Auto Show.  Personally, I was quite surprised to see it.  But hey, who was I to complain?
The car is big.  Quite big.  I didn't like the color.  But that's ok.  XTS finally fixes the alignments of the headlamps that I always found so disjointed with prior Cadillacs.  The light blades are a nice touch.  Glad to see them in non-Platinum cars.  
They weren't letting people sit inside, but from what you can see, it looks much nicer than any Cadillac thus far.  It's good to see them finally raise the bar.

It's a step forward for Cadillac.  But it's still quite a long haul for them.

I took a full video of the presentation from the Cadillac rep.  It's about 12 minutes long.  So check it out.  I've uploaded it to YouTube.  It was taken in 1080p on iPhone 4S, but uploaded up to 720p only.  1080p was a 2GB upload, and I wasn't waiting all night for it to upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J7rrVHIxNU

Here are a few pics:

I think it looks really good.
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Vinsanity

Seems like more of a successor to the 98-04 Seville, than anything made more recently

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on November 24, 2011, 11:57:27 AM
I really wish GM would stop confusing chrome with style.

The non-Platinum version that Cale posted looks pretty classy.

Payman

Quote from: MrH on November 24, 2011, 11:57:27 AM
I really wish GM would stop confusing chrome with style.

What chrome? I see brushed aluminum. In any case, chrome trim is not out of place on a Cadillac.

68_427

Quote from: Rockraven on November 24, 2011, 11:10:16 PM
What chrome? I see brushed aluminum. In any case, chrome trim is not out of place on a Cadillac.

It's supposedly real metal as well, not just plated plastic.
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Atomic

Quote from: Submariner on November 24, 2011, 11:52:16 PM
The proportions are just...weird. 
agreed, but holding final judgement until seeing several in the flesh, thinking the color might matter as well as doing a walk-around.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

Quote from: 68_427 on November 18, 2011, 08:19:27 AM

The target buyer probably won't still be alive by the time the factory warranty is up.