Wimmer's next car update!

Started by cawimmer430, October 14, 2011, 10:02:47 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on October 14, 2011, 01:12:02 PM
Golf Plus? A 1.4TSI or some sort of diesel Golf Plus sounds like a good idea.

I want a station wagon because of its "car-like driving qualities". Plus the Golf Plus isn't that large inside in terms of cargo space. I need something where I can fit my two large light suitcases and batteries plus my four 50 x 50 cm softboxes and other equipment and also have space for rear passengers in emergencies. That's not possible with a Golf Plus because I'd have to enlarge the cargo space by folding down the rear seats. The Superb gives me leeway in this regard since its cargo space is huge and there's still space for rear passengers.

The 1.4 TSI is a great engine but I'm opting for a diesel because of the great combination of performance and gas mileage. The 140-hp 2.0 TDI with common-rail (not unit-injector) is the engine to have IMO.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: mzziaz on October 14, 2011, 01:18:46 PM
Get the C5

Second on my list!  :praise:

Been reading the Citroen forums and people are generally happy with them. Reliable, extremely comfortable and good diesel engines to. Cargo space isn't as large as the Superb though. I actually may end up slotting the Passat above it due to its larger cargo space.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on October 14, 2011, 04:58:16 PM
Last generation diesel E-estate?

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 14, 2011, 06:23:55 PM
Get an old E-Class diesel wagon and make your wet dreams come true.

I wouldn't mind an E-Class diesel estate but I have to be careful. SOZIALNEID (social jealousy) - it's shitty that we have this problem in Germany. If I arrive at clients with a newer Mercedes E-Class (S211/S212) they might form negative opinions about me. Also, I am still young and that doesn't mix to well with a high-end Mercedes, which the E-Class is in Europe.

If I do opt for an E-Class, it should be a classic S123.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 14, 2011, 07:29:20 PM
How about a used VW Touran? They (& MPVs in general) have a bit more vertical space than estate cars.

No MPVs.  ;)

I rode in a Volkswagen Touran recently and wasn't impressed. The ride is hard and harsh. the Cross Touran (AWD) is even worse according to the owner of the Touran, who was looking at one before settling on the regular Touran.

The Superb is just the best choice. Large cargo space even without folding down the rear seats.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2011, 08:40:43 PM
Wimmer, if you get anything other than an uber H&H car, complete with documented crappy CR reviews, then you are required to STFU about H&H and CR.

Forever, or until you put your money where your mouth is. Seriously.

:rolleyes:

I am buying a car based on my BUSINESS NEEDS, not PERSONAL.

My business needs dictate lots of interior space for my equipment and extra space for passengers and a FWD Skoda Superb Combi is that car. And it's also great value for money, which is important to me at the moment.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on October 15, 2011, 12:22:34 AM
Good luck trying to find a Superb Estate........... there are certainly very few available in the UK. I have a friend who ordered a new one back in February and he is still waiting for his!

They're in high demand here to. It'll be hard finding a good used one with the 140-hp TDI and the color I want: Capuccino Beige Metallic (fits in with my upcoming revised website colors!).

Quote from: Colin on October 15, 2011, 12:22:34 AMIs an Octavia really not big enough inside? There should be far more of those available, and the ones I have driven have really impressed me.........

They had an Octavia at the dealership. It's to small for my needs, honest. The Superb Combi is where it's at.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: Colin on October 15, 2011, 12:22:34 AMI'd be wary of the Passat. The very latest ones (since late 2010) whilst quite competent are particularly utterly dull. Earlier ones with the 2.0 TDI engine were as rough as hell, and I know far too many people who had expensive engine failures (though maybe these have been fixed now).

I actually like the new Passat from a styling POV. It's nothing exciting but it's elegant and handsome in an extremely conservative sort of way.

The early 2.0 TDI engines used unit-injector technology. The new 2.0 TDI uses common-rail which is much smoother, quieter and more agile as well.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: Colin on October 15, 2011, 12:22:34 AMI'd look seriously at leasing........ paying a fixed cost per month for the use of a depreciating asset seems like not such a bad deal to me! 

Like I said, if I can't find a good used one, then leasing is the answer!  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Oh, and Skoda has H&H.  :devil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Auto

They started out producing guns. I'm surprised you gun-crazy Americans don't know this fact.  :devil:

And they produced some interesting cars during the Communist times like the rear-engined 110R famous sports car (at least in Europe).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

THIS WOULD BE THE IDEAL STATION WAGON FOR ME (but with a more economical engine).  :praise:

Style? Check.
Class? You bet!
Cargo space? Loads!
Comfort! Yep!

And best of all, all the '80s cops and taxi drivers drove them! It's like an icon and symbol of the 1980s to me.  :praise:

And apparently they were officially sold in Germany at one point. I have an Autobild Klassik magazine in front of me right now that claims this, but I can't find any information online that backs up this claim.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2011, 01:21:53 AM

My business needs dictate lots of interior space for my equipment and extra space for passengers and a FWD Skoda Superb Combi is that car. And it's also great value for money, which is important to me at the moment.

LOL. THEN STFU ABOUT H&h AND CR IF YOU CAN'T MAN UP AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN ADVICE
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2011, 03:08:38 AM
LOL. THEN STFU ABOUT H&h AND CR IF YOU CAN'T MAN UP AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN ADVICE

I'm looking for a normal station wagon with lots of cabin and trunk space that is also efficient and comfortable. The Superb fits that description and it happens to be great value to.

I'm not looking for a luxury car.  :rolleyes:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 14, 2011, 07:29:20 PM
How about a used VW Touran? They (& MPVs in general) have a bit more vertical space than estate cars.

The problem with most vans and SUVs is that they have less space then most wagons if the rear seats are up. Granted he could get something like a Chrysler Voyager and always leave out the rear bench.

ifcar

Gee, this sounds like the reason Americans buy Toyotas.

Cookie Monster

So, it's OK for you to buy a car without H&H because of your needs when you trash others for doing the same? :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Wimmer, I think you are definitely blowing any credibility you may have here with that "business needs, not personal" argument. It?s been years of talking luxury and H&H (arguments that I have some empathy with). So, now, it?s the time to man up. If you can afford a new Skoda, you can afford an old Merc.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2011, 01:16:40 AM
I wouldn't mind an E-Class diesel estate but I have to be careful. SOZIALNEID (social jealousy) - it's shitty that we have this problem in Germany. If I arrive at clients with a newer Mercedes E-Class (S211/S212) they might form negative opinions about me. Also, I am still young and that doesn't mix to well with a high-end Mercedes, which the E-Class is in Europe.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Between H&H and now, sozialneid (which actually appear to be two opposing mentalities), I'm actually kind of hoping that all these supposed issues are all just in your head. Because if they're true, then not only is Germany a really shitty place to own a car, but there are some really fucked up socioeconomic mentality issues lurking in people's minds over there.

2o6

You buy Japanese? You have no soul. Do you not know what your country has done for you?

You buy German? You better buy upscale, those lower cars are for poor people.

You buy a Mercedes, BMW or Audi? Do you think you're better than me or something? I don't want your services.

Any other car from Europe? Don't drive so much, they'll break. If they break, you drove too much and it's your fault.

Don't even consider the Koreans, they are inferior to everyone in every way.

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2011, 03:43:23 AM
I'm looking for a normal station wagon with lots of cabin and trunk space that is also efficient and comfortable. The Superb fits that description and it happens to be great value to.

I'm not looking for a luxury car.  :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter. Any shred of credibility you had is now gone. Any further discussions of H&H or Consumer Reports are 100% trolling on your part, so don't fucking do it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 15, 2011, 10:23:54 AM
Wimmer, I think you are definitely blowing any credibility you may have here with that "business needs, not personal" argument. It?s been years of talking luxury and H&H (arguments that I have some empathy with). So, now, it?s the time to man up. If you can afford a new Skoda, you can afford an old Merc.

:hesaid:

Morris Minor

Think about security; you have expensive, hard to replace gear, on which your livelihood depends. Having it on display in a four-door estate car would be tempting for thieves. You might want to think about a cargo cover, or tinting the windows, or a locked van.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 17, 2011, 07:38:37 AM
Think about security; you have expensive, hard to replace gear, on which your livelihood depends. Having it on display in a four-door estate car would be tempting for thieves. You might want to think about a cargo cover, or tinting the windows, or a locked van.

The Superb wagon has a cargo cover in all but the most basic (Active) trim level.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 17, 2011, 09:17:34 AM
Why no manual, Wimsy?

An automatic is just more comfortable. I've gotten lazy over the years and since most of my driving takes place in the city (and some long distance driving) an automatic is just far more appealing.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 15, 2011, 10:56:28 AM
Oh, for fuck's sake. Between H&H and now, sozialneid (which actually appear to be two opposing mentalities), I'm actually kind of hoping that all these supposed issues are all just in your head. Because if they're true, then not only is Germany a really shitty place to own a car, but there are some really fucked up socioeconomic mentality issues lurking in people's minds over there.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

We saw this car in the Mercedes dealer in Munich on Saturday... I assume that they will have mopped up all the drool around it by now!

I was rather taken by the SLS pairing of coupe and convertible, though neither was in my preferred choice of colour! (and no, I can't afford either, let alone both!).

CJ

I think the Superb is an excellent choice.  Good quality, good reliability, and lots of usable space.  Good choice, however I think a pre-owned W211 E-Class would be a better choice.  Good diesel engines, lots of space, and excellent looks.

AltinD

I've also seen the new C-class. It really looked great!

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on October 24, 2011, 08:53:14 AM
I think the Superb is an excellent choice.  Good quality, good reliability, and lots of usable space.  Good choice, however I think a pre-owned W211 E-Class would be a better choice.  Good diesel engines, lots of space, and excellent looks.

Exactly.

But the problem is their availability. Buying new means a long waiting time (more demand than supply/production capabilities). Hardly any on the used car market. Another problem is their size. They're huge cars and they sadly won't fit into my little parking space considering I have neighbors who also park next to me.

I might have to downsize to a Skoda Octavia Combi or Volkswagen Passat Variant, also with the 140-hp TDI and DSG transmission. Right now the BMW is still my ride for a few months to come - and it's barely coping. Shot two models on Sunday who rode with me in the car. Trunk was full and the rear space behind me had my third light suitcase on it. The models barely had space for their own bags containing their clothes. I really need a bigger car!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Oh, Wimmer, just one more poseur.