"Infotainment"... good or bad?

Started by sportyaccordy, October 16, 2011, 06:25:47 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Laconian on October 19, 2011, 11:07:39 AM
He forgot the ;), because it was a pretty funny joke.
People need to give me credit. Even a broken clock is right at least twice a day.

AutobahnSHO

I'd take it seriously- who uses Blackberrys anymore???    :lol:

Seriously though, with the ban on texting while driving people are actually becoming MORE DANGEROUS, because they hide the phone down low and have to keep looking down, instead of having it up high and looking at it and traffic at the same time.

Oh and studies have proven time and time again, handsfree or phone to the ear, it's the Same Distraction Level to phonecall while driving. I have no issues with it on the interstate, but anywhere there is cross-traffic is a bad idea.
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 20, 2011, 07:22:05 AM
I'd take it seriously- who uses Blackberrys anymore???    :lol:

Seriously though, with the ban on texting while driving people are actually becoming MORE DANGEROUS, because they hide the phone down low and have to keep looking down, instead of having it up high and looking at it and traffic at the same time.

Oh and studies have proven time and time again, handsfree or phone to the ear, it's the Same Distraction Level to phonecall while driving. I have no issues with it on the interstate, but anywhere there is cross-traffic is a bad idea.

I'd be quite happy with those dumb enough to text while driving or otherwise being distracted while driving killing themselves on the road if it wasn't for the fact that they will take a certain number of innocents with them.

The company I work for takes this seriously enough that they have fired people for using their company electronic devices while driving during working hours.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 16, 2011, 06:32:35 PM
Bad idea.  On one hand, you've got many states banning the use of cell phones for talking/texting/surfing the web to try to reduce distracted driving and on the other you've got carmakers building these features into their cars.

If you're behind the wheel, you should be driving.  Not texting, emailing, surfing the web or watching videos.  If you want to do that stuff, get a smart phone and take a bus/cab/train.

Agreed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

FWIW, it's pretty much impossible to have infotainment on motorcycles. I'm just saying

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 24, 2011, 07:18:54 PM
FWIW, it's pretty much impossible to have infotainment on motorcycles. I'm just saying

I've seen bikes with navigation systems and they have Bluetooth helmets so you can make phones calls while riding.  It's coming. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2011, 11:50:40 AM
I've seen bikes with navigation systems and they have Bluetooth helmets so you can make phones calls while riding.  It's coming. 
I have to wear earplugs on the highway. Even at pretty high street speeds it's not realistic. I mean they sell em, but they don't work.

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 25, 2011, 02:37:00 PM
I have to wear earplugs on the highway. Even at pretty high street speeds it's not realistic. I mean they sell em, but they don't work.

I heard the radio on a bike the other day that was so loud the rider would have heard it if he was going 100 MPH on his POS Harley.

Raza

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 25, 2011, 02:46:18 PM
I heard the radio on a bike the other day that was so loud the rider would have heard it if he was going 100 MPH on his POS Harley.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I heard a bike (I think it was a Hayabusa) that had a pretty wicked sound system when I was in Memphis.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Northlands

I'm not a fan of having them integrated. So long as they exist as an option that I can skip, fine for me. I'm also not of the opinion that humans can truly "multi-task".

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2011, 11:50:40 AM
And they broadcast MP3s through bluetooth.
Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 25, 2011, 02:37:00 PM
Yes they do.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide