Who do you root for?

Undead Horde
0 (0%)
Survivors
9 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2011, 08:55:57 PM
What if the Zombie is the one in the M1?

Hopefully, he's a bad driver.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

That's cool. They ain't smart enough to get out. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Well I'd try and make it to the beach and go out on our boat. I don't think Zombies could swim all that well. The problem is at the speeds I'd be driving the RX-8 would need to be filled up about 2 times on the way to the ocean. So I'd need all my guns with me for that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2011, 09:03:42 PM
Well I'd try and make it to the beach and go out on our boat. I don't think Zombies could swim all that well. The problem is at the speeds I'd be driving the RX-8 would need to be filled up about 2 times on the way to the ocean. So I'd need all my guns with me for that.

According to the internet, movies and of course, Max Brooks, zombies sink.

Because ther lungs fill with water, they sink; but because they don't need to breathe, they just keep walking around on the bottom. So, you need to get out into at least 10-12 feet of water to be in safe territory.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

If dead people are walking around I'd run out past 12 feet of water without a boat.

FlatBlackCaddy

I think a boat would be bad. Sure you would be isolated from the hoard but from food/fuel and ammo supplies. Now, one thing that wouldn't be bad is the beach or more specifically a area covered on 3 sides by water. I think the first thing to do is develop a stronghold and take a defensive position. Someplace that is fortified(either man made like walls or natural) would be best. Once that is developed and a defensible position has been created. It would then be time to gather supplies and weapons for either an expansion of the position or to move to a larger stronghold occupied by a larger force.

Soup DeVille

I think getting to an island that's reasonably isolated would at least give you a fixed and manageable number of zombies to work with, as opposed to being on the mainland and never knowing when any of the 300 million or so out there will wander by looking for a snack.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 09:16:16 PM
I think getting to an island that's reasonably isolated would at least give you a fixed and manageable number of zombies to work with, as opposed to being on the mainland and never knowing when any of the 300 million or so out there will wander by looking for a snack.

But resources(food mainly) would be finite on an island. Granted you could travel to the mainland to find supplies but it would be totally unsecured.

I'd imagine areas like prisons would be a pretty good accessible haven given the reinforced walls and singular entrance. Should be easy to defend and large enough to house plenty of people and supplies. Also a good deal of supplies would be on hand at the facility.

Onslaught

Yea, on an Island you can probably get enough food to live off of without looking over your back for a dead people. I know of an island full of fish, deer and crabs.  And if the dead guy is just coming out of the water he's going to be even slower with his lungs full of water weight.
You could also see the foot prints in the sand to know if someone is there. We all know one foot would drag like in the movies so you could tell if it's friend or foe.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 09:19:30 PM
But resources(food mainly) would be finite on an island. Granted you could travel to the mainland to find supplies but it would be totally unsecured.

I'd imagine areas like prisons would be a pretty good accessible haven given the reinforced walls and singular entrance. Should be easy to defend and large enough to house plenty of people and supplies. Also a good deal of supplies would be on hand at the facility.

Finite, but as long as the survivor group isn't too large, it should be doable. If I'm given the choice between eating rats and strange plants and being eaten, I know what choice I'm making.

I'm also afraid the prison will be full of prisoners: whether living, dead, or undead, that's the question.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2011, 09:22:19 PM
Yea, on an Island you can probably get enough food to live off of without looking over your back for a dead people. I know of an island full of fish, deer and crabs.  And if the dead guy is just coming out of the water he's going to be even slower with his lungs full of water weight.
You could also see the foot prints in the sand to know if someone is there. We all know one foot would drag like in the movies so you could tell if it's friend or foe.

Orrr you could put signs that say "warning, zombie boobie traps. If you can read this follow the green path". Dead ones and dumb people blow up and ones that can read make it to the "sanctuary".

Maybe throw a number on the green path too for the color blind.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 09:23:36 PM
Finite, but as long as the survivor group isn't too large, it should be doable. If I'm given the choice between eating rats and strange plants and being eaten, I know what choice I'm making.

I'm also afraid the prison will be full of prisoners: whether living, dead, or undead, that's the question.

First, I'd think the "end goal" would be the retaking of the country and re population of the country. That means that you should be accumulating survivors while removing the zombies.

Second, it's a new world. Just off the prisoners if they step even a hair out of line. I wouldn't be putting up with non of that shit.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 09:26:41 PM
First, I'd think the "end goal" would be the retaking of the country and re population of the country. That means that you should be accumulating survivors while removing the zombies.

Second, it's a new world. Just off the prisoners if they step even a hair out of line. I wouldn't be putting up with non of that shit.

Sure, but first step is surviving. Do, that, get yourself secure, and then start repopulating. Also, hope the females in your group are smoking hot (this too, is supported by most of the movies as a likely scenario)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
Sure, but first step is surviving. Do, that, get yourself secure, and then start repopulating. Also, hope the females in your group are smoking hot (this too, is supported by most of the movies as a likely scenario)

Hence the initial defensive position I mentioned. You have to secure something and move on from there. I'm guessing supermodels won't last long, they aren't that sharp. However liquor will be a easily scavenged item and re population would not doubt result from that.

Rupert

I would rather defend walls where you could see the zombies coming than an island where they would just show up out of the water. Both is best. Deep fucking moat and tall fucking walls.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on October 26, 2011, 09:42:07 PM
I would rather defend walls where you could see the zombies coming than an island where they would just show up out of the water. Both is best. Deep fucking moat and tall fucking walls.

Agreed, while a prison isn't warm and cozy. It provides high reinforced walls with a open field of view around the compound. A very good defensive position.

Onslaught

You still have your boat on the Island. If they surround your wall then where do you go?

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 09:47:25 PM
Agreed, while a prison isn't warm and cozy. It provides high reinforced walls with a open field of view around the compound. A very good defensive position.
But it's full of people who want to fuck you in the ass. I'd take a zombie over that any day.

FlatBlackCaddy

Back on the firearms front, i've been thinking of getting a new rifle. I'm thinking of getting a long range high precision rifle.

Kind of like this, and I'm liking what I read about the lapua.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 09:50:38 PM
Back on the firearms front, i've been thinking of getting a new rifle. I'm thinking of getting a long range high precision rifle.

Kind of like this, and I'm liking what I read about the lapua.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I have an older 110 in .308 and its a great gun. I'd imagine the .338 Lapua Magnum would be stellar. I have nothing but good things to say about Savage in general.  However, I will not own anything made by HS Precision, ever.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3149472

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 09:54:54 PM
I have an older 110 in .308 and its a great gun. I'd imagine the .338 Lapua Magnum would be stellar. I have nothing but good things to say about Savage in general.  However, I will not own anything made by HS Precision, ever.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3149472

Link is a bit confusing, though I didn't read all of it and don't know the background of the discussion.

Is the hs precision a modification made to the savage by a outside firm?

I'm also looking at the savage 10 fcp mcmillen or 10 fr-sr both in 308

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 26, 2011, 09:59:27 PM
Link is a bit confusing, though I didn't read all of it and don't know the background of the discussion.

Is the hs precision a modification made to the savage by a outside firm?

I'm also looking at the savage 10 fcp mcmillen or 10 fr-sr both in 308

HS precision is the maker of that particular stock. They also picked in 2008 a fellow named Lon Horiuchi as a spokesperson, and featured him on several full-page ads. This is the man who was tried for shooting Vicki Weaver in the face while she was cradling her child. He was a lead sniper at Waco, and was investigated for misconduct there as well.

Simple rule of mine: If you glorify murdering thugs, I don't buy your product.

The McMillan would be a good choice. Bell and Carlson also make great tactical stocks, although I don't know if savage offers them directly.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 10:03:39 PM
HS precision is the maker of that particular stock. They also picked in 2008 a fellow named Lon Horiuchi as a spokesperson, and featured him on several full-page ads. This is the man who was tried for shooting Vicki Weaver in the face while she was cradling her child. He was a lead sniper at Waco, and was investigated for misconduct there as well.

Simple rule of mine: If you glorify murdering thugs, I don't buy your product.

The McMillan would be a good choice. Bell and Carlson also make great tactical stocks, although I don't know if savage offers them directly.

Yeah, I did some more reading. Seems really sleezy. No matter what position you take or what you believe to be true, staying far away from the situation is the best bet. Especially when it comes to PR and company association. Someone really has their head up their ass on that one.

I like the 10 FCP with the mcmillan stock and 308 is a good all around caliber with alot of options and good availability. Probably move that one to the top of the list.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2011, 08:41:03 PM
Oh, .308 is my favorite all around cartridge. Period.

But, for zombies, you don't need the range, and damage to the body is irrelevant. But, the ability to empty the cranial cavity at under 100 yards is paramount, as is carrying a high number of rounds, and as I'm sure you know; carrying lots of .308 ammo adds up the weight and bulk fast. Keeping yourself to 20 kg, that means about 220 rounds of .308, but about 580 of 5.45.

For zombie killing, like you said, there isn't much to the extra power of a large round.  Give me a Beretta CX4 Storm and I'll pick zombies off all day with that thing at short to medium range.  Add to that an AA12, a Glock 17 select fire (do they actually make them with 3 shot burst or was that just in CounterStrike?), and a .40 Walther PPS, I think I'll be in good shape. 

That said, I have none of those things. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2011, 08:55:57 PM
What if the Zombie is the one in the M1?

As TWD taught me, firing a gun inside a closed tank is like holding a flashbang in your mouth when it goes off. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25986.msg1603441#msg1603441 date=1319729969
For zombie killing, like you said, there isn't much to the extra power of a large round.  Give me a Beretta CX4 Storm and I'll pick zombies off all day with that thing at short to medium range.  Add to that an AA12, a Glock 17 select fire (do they actually make them with 3 shot burst or was that just in CounterStrike?), and a .40 Walther PPS, I think I'll be in good shape.  

That said, I have none of those things.  

The Glock 18 is the select fire model. There are 18 of them in the country, only three of which are transferable to a civilian, and one of which is unaccounted for. The rest are owned by the military or law enforcement.

The CX4 wouldn't be a bad choice, but there's a reason no military has ever adopted the AA-12: Carrying enough shotgun shells to feed a full auto shotgun is iffy at best.

The PPS might be a good choice too, but go with 9mm. That'll give you a 9mm carbine and a 9mm sidearm, negating the need to have two different rounds.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 27, 2011, 09:57:26 AM
As TWD taught me, firing a gun inside a closed tank is like holding a flashbang in your mouth when it goes off. 

Holding a Colt Python (in what I assume to be .45 Colt) that close to your head in any situation would be horrendously loud.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on October 27, 2011, 09:57:26 AM

Lol that was funny.  I was like he'd not going to do th... oh shit lololol
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

So, do you guys think my .22LR would be completely useless against zombies? Even if I could pull off headshots?
I really need to think about this. I don't have a lot of money, but I want to be prepared. What is the cheapest round that I could shoot from a rifle and stop a zombie? I could get a bunch of old Soviet 7.62x54's, but wouldn't I want hollow points?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 27, 2011, 08:26:45 PM
So, do you guys think my .22LR would be completely useless against zombies? Even if I could pull off headshots?
I really need to think about this. I don't have a lot of money, but I want to be prepared. What is the cheapest round that I could shoot from a rifle and stop a zombie? I could get a bunch of old Soviet 7.62x54's, but wouldn't I want hollow points?

No, not completely useless. In fact a .22 may be great in a lot of situations. Not a lot of "safety factor" there though: You either hit the zombie smack dab in the medulla oblongata, or you may as well miss.

The cheapest step-up would be the 5.45 x 39 AK74 round, but you're looking at at least 500 dollars for the gun that'll shoot it.

You nazi-killing smokepole will dispatch zombies just fine with that surplus spam can ammo, but your firing rate is miserable, and upgrading to something semi-auto in the same caliber  (SVT38/40, semi-auto PKM, PSL-1, SVD Dragunov) is a high dollar option.

a nice "next-best" option might be a .22WMR Remington 597. Still less than $200 to get into one, and cheap, lightweight ammo with a lot more power than the .22LR.