MSP Police Car Testing

Started by Catman, October 03, 2005, 06:43:28 PM

Catman

Got these from a post on Autoweek.  Sorry for the crappy format.:(

,,,,,,,,,,,Charger 3.5,,,,,Charger Hemi,,,,,Impala,,,,,Ford (3.27 ratio),,,,,,Ford (3.55 ratio)
0-60.........8.9....................6.5................8.8.................8.9..........................8.6
0-80........14.6..................10.8..............14.3................14.4........................14.2
0-100......24.6..................16.5..............23.6................24.1.........................23.4
Top Spd
...............135...................150...............142.................130.........................120
60-0
...............130...................131...............151.................143.........................143

giant_mtb

I'm having trouble sorting it out.  :(  :ph34r:  

Catman

QuoteI'm having trouble sorting it out.  :(  :ph34r:
Dumbass. :P  

Raghavan

QuoteI'm having trouble sorting it out.  :(  :ph34r:
lmao.
Pretty wierd though. A 500 with a different gear ratio is faster than a charger 3.5...

Catman

QuoteI'm having trouble sorting it out.? :(? :ph34r:
lmao.
Pretty wierd though. A 500 with a different gear ratio is faster than a charger 3.5...
You're even a bigger dumbass, there's no 500 in there. :rolleyes:  :D

I dressed it up a bit, now it's easier to read.

giant_mtb

Thanks for calling me a dumbass and being kind enough to sort it out for me.  ;)  

Raghavan

QuoteI'm having trouble sorting it out.? :(? :ph34r:
lmao.
You're even a bigger dumbass, there's no 500 in there. :rolleyes:  :D

I dressed it up a bit, now it's easier to read.
i swear i saw it... oh well, i'm a dumbass. :lol:  

Catman

BTW, the 3.55 ration is a lower gear which provides better acceleration and a lower top speed.  Seems like the Hemi trounces the competition handily, wonder what real world MPG is going to be?

Raghavan

QuoteBTW, the 3.55 ration is a lower gear which provides better acceleration and a lower top speed.  Seems like the Hemi trounces the competition handily, wonder what real world MPG is going to be?
The hemi is sweet. will you guys be getting tyhese as new carsa?

Catman

QuoteBTW, the 3.55 ration is a lower gear which provides better acceleration and a lower top speed.? Seems like the Hemi trounces the competition handily, wonder what real world MPG is going to be?
The hemi is sweet. will you guys be getting tyhese as new carsa?
Probably not for while, if at all.

ifcar

05 or 06 Impala? Which engine? Which Ford?

Catman

Quote05 or 06 Impala? Which engine? Which Ford?
They should all be 06's.  The Impala Police package is not available with a V8 (dumb) so it's the V6.  The Fords are CVPI's.  

Raghavan

They should all be 06's.  The Impala Police package is not available with a V8 (dumb) so it's the V6.  The Fords are CVPI's.
Umm... That was dumb on GM's part...

MX793

Were all cars equipped with light bars and other added hardware?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

I don't have any other info but the test should be published soon.  When it is I'll post it.  In the past none of the test cars had lightbars.

ifcar

The 06 Impala has two V6s, the 3.5-liter and the 3.9-liter. I would assume it's at least the 3.9?

Catman

The 06 Impala has two V6s, the 3.5-liter and the 3.9-liter. I would assume it's at least the 3.9?
The 3.9L is standard in the police version.

TBR

No surprises there, the 3.5l Charger is slightly slower than the CVPI and the Hemi blows its doors off.

ciciusss

IFCAR,

You are correct. The 3.9 V6 was the one tested for the Impala. Also the Magnum was a part of this test. The 5.7 Magnum posted mid 6 times on it's 0-60 mph sprints. The preliminary results for the 5.7 hemi Magnum and Charger showed them performing quite well in these MSP tests. The final results will be released in a few weeks.

ciciusss

QuoteI don't have any other info but the test should be published soon.  When it is I'll post it.  In the past none of the test cars had lightbars.
Catman,

I forgot to add in my post to IFCAR that also, the Magnum (5.7) and Charger (5.7) turned in the best braking performances.  

Andrewsky

Won't the Hemi get pretty decent mileage with its DOD?

How about some Highs and Lows and a Verdict on the Crown Vic PI?
Jet Black 2005 Mini Cooper S

Catman

QuoteWon't the Hemi get pretty decent mileage with its DOD?

How about some Highs and Lows and a Verdict on the Crown Vic PI?
I don't think the DOD will benefit many agencies except highway patrols/state police.  It doesn't work at idle either.

I should add here that my chief actually is open to trying one of the Dodges out, so I told him I'd make some inquiries.  Well, it appears that Dodge has their head up their butt regarding the roll out.  I did find a dealer who handles fleet sales.  That was mid week and I still don't have prices or availability.  I also talked to Dodge Fleet and they told me to contact a dealer. :rolleyes:  The guy at fleet did tell me that the purchase of four or less cars comes with a $2000 discount and goes up after that.  Not sure how that plays out and compares to the $25K avg we're paying for CVPI's.  To be fair comparisons to the CVPI should be reserved for the 3.5L Dodge as performance is very similiar.  The Hemi is obviously in a different league.  If the 3.5L belts out some good mileage figures it will sell well.  

Currently we get all our CVPI's here MHQ.  They've had a Charger sitting in their showroom for weeks.  I guess Chrysler put it in there, but no one knows anything about pricing, availability or even if their going to sell them :rolleyes: Curiously, I've become suspicious of their situation as they were telling people that the MA State Police have been testing a bunch of Chargers with poor reliability results.  I called state fleet to confirm this and was told by one of the troopers that work there that they haven't had one Dodge to test and the most they did was spec out their requirements. <_<    Then, when I asked one of the sales guys about pricing he answered, "We don't know yet, but they'll be more than a CVPI". <_<   So, he doesn't know pricing but he knows they'll be more?  Why would Dodge come out with an unproven vehicle and attempt to break into the market and not price it accordingly?  Something smells odd over there.  Nevertheless, we like MHQ because it's a fleet dealer which offers one-stop shopping.  Bring the old car in and they change over everything to the new one all under one roof.  Everything we need is right there, from lights to paint graphics.

Hopefully, I'll have pricing early next week.

Catman

QuoteHow about some Highs and Lows and a Verdict on the Crown Vic PI?
The CVPI is obvious an aging platform, but it's reliable (not great the last year).  The CV has a good amount of room and is easy and relatively inexpensive to repair after accidents.  Performance is acceptable for municipal agencies but lacking for highway patrols.  The biggest thing about the CVPI is that it is very affordable at about $25K.  My chief was asked last week at town meeting if we would consider a cheaper patrol car.  He explained that he had but when you actually consider the cost of preparing a vehicle to handle police service the price would increase to more than a CVPI.  The Ford comes equipped (as does the Dodge) ready to go, with all the wiring, suspension and cooling mods necessary.  When you think about it $25K is pretty cheap.  Anything works well for me since I only drive one when I go to lunch. ;)  

Catman

Check out the new Dodge transport van. :rockon: 25 MPG!

giant_mtb

QuoteCheck out the new Dodge transport van. :rockon: 25 MPG!

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

:(  

Catman

QuoteCheck out the new Dodge transport van. :rockon: 25 MPG!

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

:(
I was going to post the Dodge Fleet site but the server is always down. :(   It's worse than C&D. ;)  

JYODER240

Those times look rather conservative. Either someone doesn't know how to drive, or police cars weigh a lot more. I expected the Charger Hemi to a sub 6s to 60. <_<  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Catman

QuoteThose times look rather conservative. Either someone doesn't know how to drive, or police cars weigh a lot more. I expected the Charger Hemi to a sub 6s to 60. <_<
They are over 4000lbs.  Plus, these are real world numbers, not magazine testing.

TurboDan

Seems like the 3.5 stacks up pretty well.  The 0-60 is more or less comparable to the CVPI, but it has a better top speed and better braking distance as well.  The HEMI really isn't necessary for most local PDs, but the 3.5 looks (from the numbers) that it will be a worthy competitor, provided that reliability is decent.

How does it compare as far as room/storage goes?  It has to have more than the Impala, at least!

Catman

QuoteSeems like the 3.5 stacks up pretty well.  The 0-60 is more or less comparable to the CVPI, but it has a better top speed and better braking distance as well.  The HEMI really isn't necessary for most local PDs, but the 3.5 looks (from the numbers) that it will be a worthy competitor, provided that reliability is decent.

How does it compare as far as room/storage goes?  It has to have more than the Impala, at least!
The new Impala is actually pretty roomy (FWD though).  The Charger is slightly smaller up front but the rear seat is even worse than the CV with the low roofline hindering access.