MSP Police Car Testing

Started by Catman, October 03, 2005, 06:43:28 PM

Raza

Hey, Cat, have you seen anything on police Durangoes (the new model).  I saw two from Ewing cops with marked Durangoes.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

QuoteHey, Cat, have you seen anything on police Durangoes (the new model).  I saw two from Ewing cops with marked Durangoes.
Surprisingly, Dodge doesn't list the Durango as an LE vehicle.  Just the Charger, Magnum and Sprinter van. :blink:  So I don't know.

TurboDan

I've seen the new Durango model being used by Police as well.  Looks pretty good, actually.

Catman

JYODER240

QuoteSeems like the 3.5 stacks up pretty well.  The 0-60 is more or less comparable to the CVPI, but it has a better top speed and better braking distance as well.  The HEMI really isn't necessary for most local PDs, but the 3.5 looks (from the numbers) that it will be a worthy competitor, provided that reliability is decent.

How does it compare as far as room/storage goes?  It has to have more than the Impala, at least!
The new Impala is actually pretty roomy (FWD though).  The Charger is slightly smaller up front but the rear seat is even worse than the CV with the low roofline hindering access.
i dont think rear seat comfort is a big priority  ;)  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

QuoteSeems like the 3.5 stacks up pretty well.? The 0-60 is more or less comparable to the CVPI, but it has a better top speed and better braking distance as well.? The HEMI really isn't necessary for most local PDs, but the 3.5 looks (from the numbers) that it will be a worthy competitor, provided that reliability is decent.

How does it compare as far as room/storage goes?? It has to have more than the Impala, at least!
The new Impala is actually pretty roomy (FWD though).  The Charger is slightly smaller up front but the rear seat is even worse than the CV with the low roofline hindering access.
:lol:

" Get in the car!"

"owwww!"

"Oh, watch your head!"

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteSeems like the 3.5 stacks up pretty well.? The 0-60 is more or less comparable to the CVPI, but it has a better top speed and better braking distance as well.? The HEMI really isn't necessary for most local PDs, but the 3.5 looks (from the numbers) that it will be a worthy competitor, provided that reliability is decent.

How does it compare as far as room/storage goes?? It has to have more than the Impala, at least!
Yeah, why would anyone worry aboot criminals comfort?

TBR

But entry is and that is a major problem with the Charger. That is part of the reason I think the Magnum would make a better cop car.

Raghavan

QuoteBut entry is and that is a major problem with the Charger. That is part of the reason I think the Magnum would make a better cop car.
The magnum's rear seats aren't any better.

BMWDave

QuoteBut entry is and that is a major problem with the Charger. That is part of the reason I think the Magnum would make a better cop car.
The magnum's rear seats aren't any better.
Entry and egress to the car is better.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Exactly, the Magnum obviously doesn't have a coupe like roofline as the Charger does.

Catman

QuoteExactly, the Magnum obviously doesn't have a coupe like roofline as the Charger does.
I agree.  Comfort isn't the issue, but getting someone in there without delay is.  I don't want to fool around trying to "assist" someone in there.  Having to grab someones feet to get them in will get you kicked on occasion.

Andrewsky

Hey, Catman, was it you I saw on "Cops" last night? :lol:  
Jet Black 2005 Mini Cooper S

thewizard16

The Charger Hemi is much faster, so I'm assuming it will also be much more expensive, won't it?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

thewizard16

QuoteI've seen the new Durango model being used by Police as well.  Looks pretty good, actually.
I saw an older (mid 90s) Caprice Wagon cop car in some little town I was driving through yesterday.  :blink:  The departments here and the departments in Mountain Home both use Expeditions and Explorers for their SUV models. The normal cars are a mix of Impalas, Crown Vics, and Intrepids. The only unusual vehicles are the Sherrif has a Firebird, and the State Trooper has a Camaro.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

Other than the K9 unit (an Expedition) our department uses only CVPIs. The State Troopers do use some F-150s but most of their vehicles are also CVPIs.  

Catman

If cruisers do get much smaller I think the wise thing to do would be to remove the front passenger seat.  With the seat gone you can install a desk of sorts with plenty of storage, gun racks, laptop and medical supplies, etc.  I think many departments will utilize a van for transporting as the new cars are getting to tight with the cage installed.

Raza

Newtown cops are moving to Impalas.  They recently got some new ones added to their fleet.  

My locals still stick with Yukons and Tahoes, though. One Grand Marquis and one Impala, both unmarked, as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Andrewsky

They use all kinds of unmarked cars here.  I once saw a silver two door Grand Prix pull some one over on the freeway.
Jet Black 2005 Mini Cooper S

thewizard16

QuoteThey use all kinds of unmarked cars here.  I once saw a silver two door Grand Prix pull some one over on the freeway.
Our unmarked cars are normally pretty obvious. A black or silver Crown vic. However when they throw in an unmarked navy Impala (sherriff) that messes with me, because Impalas are far more common as normal people's cars than Crown Vics.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

ciciusss

QuoteThe Charger Hemi is much faster, so I'm assuming it will also be much more expensive, won't it?
The hemi equipped Charger will be more expensive, but not by as much as some might think. The agencies who sent representatives to the MPS testing were impressed with the hemi equipped Charger and Magnum. Catman, if you see this I am sending you a PM.

J86

My town wont have the budget for those bad boys (thank god) as well as not too many roads to wring them out on.

thewizard16

QuoteMy town wont have the budget for those bad boys (thank god) as well as not too many roads to wring them out on.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mountain Home department get one. Or more. They'd more than certainly get into accidents with them though. They have a couple people that seem to be exceptionally good at getting into accidents.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

280Z Turbo

QuoteThey use all kinds of unmarked cars here.  I once saw a silver two door Grand Prix pull some one over on the freeway.
How would someone know whether or not they are impersonating an officer or not?

J86

QuoteMy town wont have the budget for those bad boys (thank god) as well as not too many roads to wring them out on.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mountain Home department get one. Or more. They'd more than certainly get into accidents with them though. They have a couple people that seem to be exceptionally good at getting into accidents.
fortunately i got no mountains where i live!!  Highest bit of land in the state is the landfill...

The Bartender

QuoteSeems like the 3.5 stacks up pretty well.  The 0-60 is more or less comparable to the CVPI, but it has a better top speed and better braking distance as well.  The HEMI really isn't necessary for most local PDs, but the 3.5 looks (from the numbers) that it will be a worthy competitor, provided that reliability is decent.

How does it compare as far as room/storage goes?  It has to have more than the Impala, at least!
That's an observation I had when talking about the new RWD ChryCo cars with my father.  The interior room is on the tight side, and front seat room especially so, when you factor in a 200+ lb officer with gun belt and vest on, plus a center row of radios and other other equipment.

The Crown Vic has a good amount of room, even if the performance is lacking, so many agencies will continue to use them.

Catman: I get the sense from what you said, and what I have heard from Dodge people, that they don't really want to sell the Charger as a police car as long as it is selling well for retail use.  Why sell at fleet level profits if you are making good money on retail sales?
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29