Hyundai Genesis Coupe power bump

Started by hotrodalex, November 14, 2011, 02:42:52 PM

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on November 14, 2011, 09:24:28 PM
And the RX8 is out of the equation now.
Hopefully the Toyobaru doesn't suffer the same fate.  Mazda really f'd up with the RX-8.  The car didn't really change much in 8 years.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on November 14, 2011, 09:27:16 PM
I never said the enthusiast would pick the Toyobaru.  I said it will attract a different driver.  I would probably pick the Gen Coupe because it handles very well, but it has got that kick the Toyobaru simply won't have with 200 hp.  It will be plenty quick (probably a 6.0-6.2 second car), but it won't be a 4.9-5.0 second car like the Gen Coupe will be.  Each car will attract a different type of driver.

I am talking general public buyer here.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on November 14, 2011, 09:28:47 PM
Hopefully the Toyobaru doesn't suffer the same fate.  Mazda really f'd up with the RX-8.  The car didn't really change much in 8 years.

Yeah, same as Acura with the NSX.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on November 14, 2011, 09:30:30 PM
I am talking general public buyer here.
Enthusiast or not, it will appeal to a different kind of driver.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on November 14, 2011, 10:13:02 PM
Enthusiast or not, it will appeal to a different kind of driver.

I'm really not following you. They are both RWD 4 cyl sport coupes, after all.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2011, 12:22:06 AM
I'm really not following you. They are both RWD 4 cyl sport coupes, after all.

:hesaid:

I think the Hyundai will be one of the Toybaru's largest competitors. They're quite similar, the Toybaru just weighs less and apparently handles like a dream, while the Hyundai has more weight and thus slightly less handling (but still very good), but a cheaper price and more power.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 14, 2011, 09:28:47 PM

Quote from: Rockraven on November 14, 2011, 09:32:09 PM
Yeah, same as Acura with the NSX.

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 14, 2011, 10:48:50 PM
S2000 also.

And yet, all these cars managed unusually long lives.  Honda, the king of the half hour product cycle, left the NSX mostly unchanged from 1989 to 2002 (2003?).  The S2000 still has a strong following.  The RX-8 may not have been a sales leader, but if it were a failure, they'd have put a pink slip in its locker years ago. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2011, 04:06:41 AM
And yet, all these cars managed unusually long lives.  Honda, the king of the half hour product cycle, left the NSX mostly unchanged from 1989 to 2002 (2003?).  The S2000 still has a strong following.  The RX-8 may not have been a sales leader, but if it were a failure, they'd have put a pink slip in its locker years ago. 

The key is production numbers. The more you see a car on the road, the faster it seems to age. That's part of the reason the Sonata already seems like it's halfway through its design cycle. Nissan sold a lot more Z's than Mazda sold RX-8's, which called for a more timely change in design. I'd venture to guess that if the 350Z sold at the same pace as the RX-8, the original design would have the a similar fate as well.

S204STi

This is why Toyobaru should have gone with the turbo.  Just sayin'.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2011, 04:06:41 AM
Well you know the avg enthusiast is a spec sheet junkie. Cars like the S2K, NSX etc require work to come into their element. Something like a Genesis Coupe is in its element being floored merging onto a highway or in a stoplight battle. And that, not how well a car dances at its limits, is what matters to most enthusiasts. People would rather have a car be a beast at 5/10ths than 10/10ths.

So more power is good, even if Hyundai doesn't address the Genesis' dynamic shortcomings. People would rather have more power than less weight.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on November 15, 2011, 10:57:13 AM
This is why Toyobaru should have gone with the turbo.  Just sayin'.
We don't even know how it drives yet. Again not everyone needs to have the fastest car at a stoplight to feel satisfied with their purchase. Plus in any case again Hyundai's horses are lazy, and the turbo Genesis prob won't be much faster than the Toyobaru. But the Toyobaru will def be better dynamically just by its significantly lower weight & dedicated chassis.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2011, 11:08:52 AM
Well you know the avg enthusiast is a spec sheet junkie. Cars like the S2K, NSX etc require work to come into their element. Something like a Genesis Coupe is in its element being floored merging onto a highway or in a stoplight battle. And that, not how well a car dances at its limits, is what matters to most enthusiasts. People would rather have a car be a beast at 5/10ths than 10/10ths.

So more power is good, even if Hyundai doesn't address the Genesis' dynamic shortcomings. People would rather have more power than less weight.
Have you driven a Gen Coupe, or even read a review of the Gen Coupe?  It's a formidable car when the road gets twisty.

FlatBlackCaddy

Has the official weight of the toyota/subie sports car been released?

I read the thread from a few weeks ago and it started at 2900(page 1), moved down to 2800 after a few pages and now I see it "weights 800 lbs less" than a ~3400 lbs genesis.

I have a feeling if I wait long enough it will weigh less than a ariel atom.

FlatBlackCaddy

As for the geni, I like it(the drivetrains). Hyundai keeps up with the steady improvement and these new mills look great. Good for them.

2o6

I think it looks like crap up front.

S204STi

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 18, 2011, 09:32:18 PM
Has the official weight of the toyota/subie sports car been released?

I read the thread from a few weeks ago and it started at 2900(page 1), moved down to 2800 after a few pages and now I see it "weights 800 lbs less" than a ~3400 lbs genesis.

I have a feeling if I wait long enough it will weigh less than a ariel atom.

It'll weight less than a feather and handle like your favorite car from GT5.  Also, all 150ft/lbs of torque will equate to amazing throttle response.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 18, 2011, 09:40:15 PM
I think it looks like crap up front.

Yes, yes... we're all aware of your eye for good design.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on November 18, 2011, 10:33:16 PM
Yes, yes... we're all aware of your eye for good design.

It looks tacked on and doesn't match the rest of the body.

Looks like crap.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on November 18, 2011, 09:49:29 PM
It'll weight less than a feather and handle like your favorite car from GT5.  Also, all 150ft/lbs of torque will equate to amazing throttle response.
So you don't think things like aspiration & body weight play a role in throttle response?

I.e., do you think a 3300lb Genesis 2.0T will have the same throttle response as a 2700-2800lb FT-86?

You don't think things like compression ratio plays a part?

Lol.

S204STi

That and the size of the dump you took that morning.

Vinsanity

Alls I know is Toyobaru better aspire pretty hard to outpace a V6 Camstang

sportyaccordy

Shit man, you ride a motorcycle. Is the throttle in your WRX (which by now prob has about the same power/weight ratio as the bike) as direct as the throttle on your bike?

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 19, 2011, 09:54:49 AM
Shit man, you ride a motorcycle. Is the throttle in your WRX (which by now prob has about the same power/weight ratio as the bike) as direct as the throttle on your bike?

I think you're confusing throttle response with acceleration.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 19, 2011, 07:06:19 PM
Naw.

The weight of the vehicle has no bearing on throttle response.  It does have a bearing on acceleration, which is what you feel through the seat of your pants when you jab the throttle.  Same can be said for gearing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2011, 08:49:20 PM
The weight of the vehicle has no bearing on throttle response.  It does have a bearing on acceleration, which is what you feel through the seat of your pants when you jab the throttle.  Same can be said for gearing.

If I wanted to be a stick in the mud, I could say the weight of the vehicle does include the weight of the rotating and reciprocating parts of the engine, which most definitely have a bearing on throttle response  :evildude:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2011, 08:49:20 PM
Naw man. I am not confusing the two. Which is why I mentioned the fact that his bike + cars have the same power/weight ratio (and thus neutralizing the effect of one being faster than the other)

I'm talking about throttle response. N/A motors don't have "off boost" problems or have to wait to "spool up".

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 19, 2011, 09:54:49 AM

Depends on the gear.  If I catch either one in the wrong one the throttle response is crap.  But if I keep either in the right gear, throttle response is immediate.