Your ideal personal fleet

Started by Byteme, November 17, 2011, 09:33:55 AM

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 17, 2011, 11:42:10 PM
If you want to call my wife imaginary, you'll have to do so to her face.

I, uh, but she's... Not real? :confused:

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Vinsanity

Quote from: Rupert on November 17, 2011, 11:37:46 PM
It cracks me up that you un-married dudes are imagining cars for your imaginary wives. ;) You could at least imagine letting your imaginary wife choose her own imaginary car!

LOL. Let's just say imaginary Mrs. wouldn't be the type to choose, say, a Prius over an Audi. I remember my ex liking the A7, so it could've been some kind of Freudian slip.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 17, 2011, 11:42:53 PM
About 9-10 then? That's about what I usually see them for in top condition.

Yeah, something in that area.  The main thing about them is that they appear authentic.  Still leaking oil and everything!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on November 17, 2011, 11:47:22 PM
Yeah, something in that area.  The main thing about them is that they appear authentic.  Still leaking oil and everything!

Yep. That sounds just about right.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Ok, so I also need a beater truck.
Let's go with a '95-ish F-150 4x4.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

I'm happy with the current Kia Sorento as a everyday/poor weather ride.

I'd just like to add:

BMW E39 M5 - functional fun car
Honda S2000 - summer car

Other than insurance, those two cars have depreciated enough that the average joe can own both I think.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Speed_Racer

Daily driver: TDI Sportwagen
Work truck/utility vehicle: Ram Power Wagon
Sport/track car: Lotus Elise (before they're gone)

AutobahnSHO

Wife:   Minivan of her choice, likely Toyota or Honda

My commuter car: WRX
Weekend in the woods:  Ford Ranger 4door with diesel engine (as seen in Afghanistan)
Weekend highway car: Panamera
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Currently
C6
Corolla
GSXR 750

I'd add a 2000-2004 Subaru Outback LL Bean edition (H6 has a timing chain instead of a belt) and a G8 GT to my stable since my Corolla will be goinb to my daughter by spring. And my work van can handle hauling duties since I sold my F150.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Hmm....I kept mine realistic to the next five years.  And I definitely won't be married by then. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Are we talking about realistic or dream? 

Dream?  Something like Jay Leno's garage is a good starter. 

Realistic? 

My current list is ok, but i want to upgrade or swap out

Wife's Car: RDX ---->  She wants a X3 so I'll go with that
Daily Driver: RSX-S  ------> Either a Mini Cooper Countryman or a 335d, if there's an Wagon, even better
Fun Car:  Elise  (no change)  maybe add a supercharger.

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on November 18, 2011, 11:37:58 AM
Are we talking about realistic or dream? 

My initial query was:  Considering purchase cost and cost of ownership what would you consider to be your ideal personal vehicle fleet?  So, yes, I'm looking for realistic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 18, 2011, 12:22:51 PM
My initial query was:  Considering purchase cost and cost of ownership what would you consider to be your ideal personal vehicle fleet?  So, yes, I'm looking for realistic.

Too bad, because everyone ruined the thread by listing all the exotic super cars they'll never buy.

93JC

Realistically I shouldn't have more than one vehicle. Assuming I was a little bit better off financially my ideal fleet would include:

- my current Mazda 3
- an old pickup truck
- an old sports car to restore or otherwise tinker with
- ... maybe a 1993 Jeep Cherokee...

68_427

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 18, 2011, 06:54:13 AM
Currently
C6
Corolla
GSXR 750

I'd add a 2000-2004 Subaru Outback LL Bean edition (H6 has a timing chain instead of a belt) and a G8 GT to my stable since my Corolla will be goinb to my daughter by spring. And my work van can handle hauling duties since I sold my F150.

My car went 140K+ miles on the timing belt, and the guy said it looked good for another 40-50K.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Being completely realistic -- if I wanted more than one car, I'd just keep the Caddy and get something fun after it's paid for. Anything from a convertible Mustang GT or Camaro SS, to a Mercedes SL or Porsche 997 convertible, and everything in between (BMW 335 vert, Boxster, Jag XK vert, 2011+ BMW 650...)

Speed_Racer

I didn't catch the realistic part. Darn.

So that narrows it down to one car:

Something very cheap, <10 years old, with more room than the MR2. The end.

Lebowski

2010 4runner
2006 Corvette Coupe

May eventually replace the corvette w/ something cooler (911?), but financially it's tough to justify. I still find the Vette a very fun car to drive, and it's only at about the 36k miles mark

Rich

If I could do it over I'd have a 1 yr old economy car and pick up a Factory Five Cobra replica.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

Realistic? Shee-it, I'm already livin' the dream, then.

Soup DeVille

I'm calling mine realistically optimistic...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Mine is fairly realistic. Already have one, the other ones should be less than $20k each when completely finished.

MaxPower

I've got it pretty good right now,
09 Legacy sedan
01 Tacoma
but if I were going for perfection I'd upgrade to a turbo Legacy for a little more fun

MrH

Yeah, if this was fantasy world, it'd get all sorts of things, probably 3 or 4 cars...

Realistically,  the miata for now. Considering a few things right now. First choice is the subaru brz sti. Also considering a second car to go with miata. Maybe a cx5 or optima or something. Third option is buy a house and get a kit car. Sell miata and get something more practical for the time being.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Maybe I could pick up a cheap Saturn L300 to lug me around when I need to give Accent a break.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2701065824.html

AutobahnSHO

Realistic??  :(

Keep the minivan at least 4more years, (bought it 2009)
Keep the Subaru until it dies, but get a STICK SHIFT fun/practical car in spring 2013. Under $5k, so it would likely be older. My son will be 15 in 2014, so it would be his learner/first car.
Will