Fiat 500 Abarth Commercial....sexy!

Started by SVT666, November 17, 2011, 05:43:12 PM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

TBR

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on November 20, 2011, 10:23:54 PM
Also, the Abarth is fucking awesome (and I am not a fan of the regular 500). Any word on price point?

According to most sources, it'll be  well equipped for $23k, which undercuts the base MINI Cooper S by almost  grand, and by nearly 5 grand when comparably equipped (except for no heated seats in the Abarth, as apparently the heated seat switch requires having the automatic trans, and the Abarth is only getting the manual, at least for a while).

I may have to check it out come springtime. The Mustang may have to go away to make room...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on November 22, 2011, 08:59:41 AM
According to most sources, it'll be  well equipped for $23k, which undercuts the base MINI Cooper S by almost  grand, and by nearly 5 grand when comparably equipped (except for no heated seats in the Abarth, as apparently the heated seat switch requires having the automatic trans, and the Abarth is only getting the manual, at least for a while).

I may have to check it out come springtime. The Mustang may have to go away to make room...
Really?  You would sell the Mustang already?

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on November 22, 2011, 08:59:41 AM

Why not the Cooper?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

My favorite comment is:

"This commercial would be correct if the girl was a midget with down syndrome!"

I don't get this whole retro craze.  The car looks like crap.  Plus the car is like 4 years ago already.

ChrisV

Quote from: SVT666 on November 22, 2011, 10:02:15 AM
Really?  You would sell the Mustang already?

it's only a thought. I like the Mustang, too, but the fuel use is ridiculous, even in comparison to the BMW (which will be back together by spring)

Quote from: Raza  on November 22, 2011, 11:14:25 AM
Why not the Cooper?

Leased and it's my wife's car. Can't go away until the lease is up.

If the Abarth was going to be available in convertible form, I'd really be digging on it (or at least big sunroof form).

As for the retro craze, there are a lot of us who like the looks and love the days when cars were styled by design not by regulation. And while it may look similar to an older car, it looks NOTHING like most new cars, which is a bonus in an era when everyting is starting to me at least to look like crap. Especially when small cars are looking like crap (yaris? Prius? Accent? Elantra? I don't like the looks of any of them. I kind of like the Sonic and Fiesta, but I like the MINI and 500 much more).

I also like this one:

SVT666

You don't buy a Mustang expecting good fuel economy.

NomisR

The Abarth was actually drawing quite a bit of attention, even from the older crowd at the LA Auto Show.

ChrisV

Quote from: SVT666 on November 22, 2011, 01:06:09 PM
You don't buy a Mustang expecting good fuel economy.

No, but I also didn't buy it to be my daily driver. My wife and I are commuting separately these days and it's actually kind of tiring to drive the Mustang as a commuter. Takes some of the specialness off of it.

2o6

You know what I don't get?

A year ago, everyone loved the 500 and 500 Abarth, and now that they're finally here, (and the 500 is doing well), everyone is avoiding them like the plague.

ChrisV

I still want one. I just can't own every car that I want. ;)

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 22, 2011, 02:21:39 PM

A year ago, everyone loved the 500 and 500 Abarth, and now that they're finally here, (and the 500 is doing well), everyone is avoiding them like the plague.

Huh?

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on November 22, 2011, 02:23:34 PM
I still want one. I just can't own every car that I want. ;)

I saw a chocolate brown one, and I fell in love.

Out of curiosity, I went to my Chrysler dealer to see about them, and they didn't have their Fiat setup up and running yet. Now they do, and I have been getting calls to come in and take a look.

Maybe I should take them up on it.

Quote from: Rockraven on November 22, 2011, 02:25:10 PM
Huh?

I meant to say "people are making up excuses not to like them, without even driving one first."

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 22, 2011, 02:26:07 PM
I saw a chocolate brown one, and I fell in love.

Out of curiosity, I went to my Chrysler dealer to see about them, and they didn't have their Fiat setup up and running yet. Now they do, and I have been getting calls to come in and take a look.

Maybe I should take them up on it.

I meant to say "people are making up excuses not to like them, without even driving one first."

Oh, yeah.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on November 22, 2011, 02:26:07 PM
I love the 500 Abarth and I would buy one right now if I didn't need a real back seat and a trunk.  If I could buy a car for every purpose the 500 Abarth would be my commuter car.

Payman

SVT666

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 565 on November 22, 2011, 11:50:56 AM
My favorite comment is:

"This commercial would be correct if the girl was a midget with down syndrome!"

I don't get this whole retro craze.  The car looks like crap.  Plus the car is like 4 years ago already.

There appear to be two crazes afoot these days in car design: The aforementioned retro look and the "inspired by anime and sci-fi and drawn up by kids with ADHD and depth perception problems" craze.

Guess which one I prefer?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

There's a whole Fiat dealership just down the street from me, where the Saturn dealership used to be. Huge lot full of 500s! I need to go test drive one sometime. 

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 22, 2011, 03:50:31 PM
There appear to be two crazes afoot these days in car design: The aforementioned retro look and the "inspired by anime and sci-fi and drawn up by kids with ADHD and depth perception problems" craze.

Guess which one I prefer?

I'll go with you on the former, 2o6 on the latter.

2o6

2o6

I think it's cool, yes.

And I also really like the 500, too.

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on November 21, 2011, 09:14:00 PM
Probably the troll.

Man, if I was an Audi fanboy like you we'd probably be best friends... :rolleyes:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

Quote from: 2o6 on November 22, 2011, 02:21:39 PM

I didn't. I didn't get them at all. And now that I've taken one for a spin I really don't get them.

I can't say anything about the Abarth because I've never been in one.