Welcome to Bland Land boys and girls.

Started by Byteme, November 18, 2011, 07:44:49 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Madman on November 20, 2011, 12:18:25 AM

Do you think this could be due to the "environmentally friendly" water-based paints used on today's cars?  I wonder because I've also noticed a lot of shitty paintwork on new cars but don't recall ever seeing these sort of problems back in the days of lacquer paint.

That's exactly what it is: It doesn't atomize the same way in the guns. In order to maintain line speed, they spray it on too thick.

Its not hard to make a water based paint look good, but plants don't want to slow down their lines.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Most body shops are going to water based paints. And then they use the same old clears we've always used. And the clears are what have all the bad shit in them. So in the end it's pointless.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on November 19, 2011, 10:30:45 PM
I wanted blue, settled for silver.

I think this is probably a more typical situation than someone prioritizing retail value. Dealers know that someone is more likely to reject a car because of a bright/unusual color than one of the more typical ones, and stock up accordingly.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

Raza

Three out of four of my cars have been black.  The other was gray. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

My wife's Escape is bright red and mine is chrome yellow.  My daughter says that the garage looks like a crayon box.  Her boyfriend just bought a '12 Focus.  She was trying to persuade him go get electric blue.  He said he liked the grey better :huh:.

The '50s paint schemes are still my favourite...baby blues, pinks, corals, aquas, reds, chartreuse, burgundy, shades of purple; any bright colour under the sun; usually in two or three different colour combinations.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

S204STi

FoMoJo

Quote from: R-inge on November 23, 2011, 10:39:31 AM
Chartreuse is a groovy color.
Can't say I've seen a lot of cars in that colour but I'm always reminded of some song lyrics when it's mentioned... :lol:

Well, we rolled up Interstate 44
Like a rocket sled on rails.
We tore up all of our swindle sheets,
And left 'em settin' on the scales.
By the time we hit that Chi-town,
Them bears was a-gettin' smart:
They'd brought up some reinforcements
From the Illinois National Guard.
There's armored cars, and tanks, and jeeps,
And rigs of ev'ry size.
Yeah, them chicken coops was full'a bears
And choppers filled the skies.