2012 BMW 550dx (AWD only)

Started by cawimmer430, November 22, 2011, 05:43:48 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2012, 01:00:08 PM
There was a lady in a 335i the other day that I legitimately felt sorry for. She had all seasons (like most of the drivers out there) and anytime she breathed on the throttle, here rear end broke loose. She couldn't go more than maybe 25MPH.

She must have turned the traction control off, then. My dad's 3er will cut the power if the wheels start spinning in bad weather, and it keeps the rear end in line if it starts to step out.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 03, 2012, 05:11:42 PM
She must have turned the traction control off, then. My dad's 3er will cut the power if the wheels start spinning in bad weather, and it keeps the rear end in line if it starts to step out.

You guys don't really get snow at all.

hounddog

This is probably the wrong thread, but, I have seriously been considering going to Germany and bringing back either one of the fully loaded X5d with the 2.0d, or, the 520d with the 2.0d.

50+ mpg in a BMW really interests me, enough in fact, to consider importing one. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

2o6

Quote from: hounddog on March 03, 2012, 08:28:46 PM
This is probably the wrong thread, but, I have seriously been considering going to Germany and bringing back either one of the fully loaded X5d with the 2.0d, or, the 520d with the 2.0d.

50+ mpg in a BMW really interests me, enough in fact, to consider importing one. 

Getting it federalized is nigh impssible.

hounddog

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on March 03, 2012, 08:21:34 PM
You guys don't really get snow at all.

Doesn't mean I haven't driven it in the snow or ice. No traction is no traction, doesn't matter how many inches of powder are on the ground.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 03, 2012, 10:27:34 PM
Doesn't mean I haven't driven it in the snow or ice. No traction is no traction, doesn't matter how many inches of powder are on the ground.

You guys get maybe an inch of snow at a time, it gets a little cold and all of a sudden the roads are "terrible".

In most of the northeast, especially where I live, the weather pattern is schizophrenic. It can start at 3 inches and 15 degreens, quickly warm up to above freezing, turning snow to rain, making a slick slushy mess. Then it'll cool down back to freezing over the roads with snow cover masking the slick roads.

Its totally different up north.

Raza

Aren't both of you from Ohio?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26148.msg1679486#msg1679486 date=1330848139
Aren't both of you from Ohio?

I'm near Cleveland, hes actually in northern KY, IIRC.

CJ

We had a good 16 inches of snow and 3 inches of sleet under the snow.  We had a legitimate blizzard warning, considering you couldn't see more than...well, past the hood.  The 850 was excellent.  Traction control worked as it should, and the transmission's winter mode worked great.  That car was excellent in the snow.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2012, 10:43:21 AM

We had a good 16 inches of snow and 3 inches of sleet under the snow.  We had a legitimate blizzard warning, considering you couldn't see more than...well, past the hood.  The 850 was excellent.  Traction control worked as it should, and the transmission's winter mode worked great.  That car was excellent in the snow.

FWD cars are so much easier in the snow.

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on March 04, 2012, 11:19:34 AM

FWD cars are so much easier in the snow.

No shit.  My 940's also perfectly fine, with its locking differential and excellent tires. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2012, 03:42:22 PM
No shit.  My 940's also perfectly fine, with its locking differential and excellent tires. 

u put a posseyi in that turd brick? :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

Eye of the Tiger

CJ

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 04, 2012, 03:48:21 PM
You mean limited slip, then, eh?

It's an Eaton G80 locking differential.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2012, 03:51:12 PM
It's an Eaton G80 locking differential.

Damn, that's hardcore.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on March 04, 2012, 12:15:28 AM

You guys get maybe an inch of snow at a time, it gets a little cold and all of a sudden the roads are "terrible".

In most of the northeast, especially where I live, the weather pattern is schizophrenic. It can start at 3 inches and 15 degreens, quickly warm up to above freezing, turning snow to rain, making a slick slushy mess. Then it'll cool down back to freezing over the roads with snow cover masking the slick roads.

Its totally different up north.

This is true. However on occasion we do get 5-6 inches. We also have ice problems at times. A month or two ago we had an ice storm that completely covered the roads in quarter inch of ice. A little bit of road salt cleared it up, but before the roads were treated it took excellent driving skills to get around. One parking lot I was in was impossible to drive in without traction control. But I kept it turned on and the car figured out how to keep moving. If I could still drive on what was basically an ice rink, that lady in the BMW shouldn't have been breaking loose unless she turned off the traction/stability control.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 04, 2012, 05:24:00 PM
What is snow?

Similar to cocaine, except snorting it would just give you frostbite.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 04, 2012, 05:44:43 PM
Similar to cocaine, except snorting it would just give you frostbite.

And cocaine is much safer, as it causes considerably fewer deaths and injuries than snow.