What automotive convinence option can you not live without?

Started by 2o6, November 25, 2011, 08:26:05 PM

2o6

Simple question.

For me? Cruise control. Give me manual locks, AM-FM stereo, manual windows, but I HAVE TO HAVE my Cruise Control. It's so satisfying to set the cruise to 5 over the speed limit, and crank up the tunes.

S204STi

Air con, and even that's not something I'm hugely attached to.  Everything else can go other than the parts that make the car go.

2o6

I've only used air conditioning maybe twice.

I think mine needs to be recharged or something, but I really don't care.

Vinsanity

definitely A/C. the A/C on my car crapped out this past summer, and it was only slightly less horrible than the $3,000 repair bill needed to make driving tolerable again.

If I had one, I might be inclined to say that an aux input would be the next must-have on the list. But somehow I manage without. Every time I call Sirius/XM to cancel, they give me another deal I can't refuse.

SVT666

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Adjustable driver's seat. Heat. Defroster.
Without those things, driving can be almost unbearable.
The rest of the options are just poppycock that jack up the price.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: 2o6 on November 25, 2011, 08:30:18 PM
I've only used air conditioning maybe twice.

I think mine needs to be recharged or something, but I really don't care.

Try living in the south with 100 degree temps and 100% humidity and you will beg for a/c

hotrodalex

I'm perfectly fine without cruise control, but I'm more likely to speed. Don't need power seats, door locks, or windows, but they're nice to have. I'll see if I can live without A/C in the next couple of summers, since my El Camino doesn't have it. The only times I really care about it is when I'm dressed up and definitely don't want to start sweating.

As of right now, I can't really think of something that I have to have.

edit: Guess I need a heater. Though I'm not sure what kind of crappy car doesn't come with that. Only cars I've ever seen that don't have one is my dad's Camaro and other show cars, which is only because they intentionally remove them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 25, 2011, 09:39:33 PM
Try living in the south with 100 degree temps and 100% humidity and you will beg for a/c

I once sweat so much in my car that my seat belt got soaked and stained my Air Force blues shirt. I got in trouble for that.  :banghead:

The worst part is hot rain. Then the windows fog up unless you put the defroster on, which makes it even hotter. That is when A/C saves the day, but vent shades on the windows can also help quite a bit.

Onslaught

I live in the south, so it's A/C for me. I'm not working in a building all day with no A/C and then getting into the car and driving home in the heat too.

But in this day and age I don't think of things like A/C, cruise or PWR windows or mirrors as convenience options. That's just standard shit unless I'm buying a track day car.
These days bluetooth phones and seat warmers are convenience stuff for me. 

Eye of the Tiger

Onslaught

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 25, 2011, 10:04:38 PM
OMG I LOVE HEATED SEATS :wub:
My brothers MX-5 has them and you can run with the top down and the heat on all year long. Not that I'd do that. But it is nice.

Vinsanity

If my old s2k had heated seats, the top would never have gone up. Except for when it rained, I guess.

CJ

68_427

Dunno.  Since I have leather I would not give up my heated seats.  I love my sunroof, it's open all the time.  I dig my stereo, it's really good for a stock system and I have a cassette deck.  :wub:

AWD is fun when it snows as well.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Speed_Racer

My car only has one convenience item: power mirrors. So that's my answer. The thing about manual mirrors is that you've got to reach way over to adjust the passenger side...then lean back to see if you got it right. Repeat 100 times until it's finally in the right spot.

Laconian

Cruise control. One of the rental cars I drove lacked it, and I missed it dearly.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

I don't think heat/defrost counts as a convenience option. Neither does a stereo.

Cruise control beats out A/C by a hair. I also like power mirrors and windows if there are more than two that go down.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on November 25, 2011, 08:29:00 PM
Air con, and even that's not something I'm hugely attached to.  Everything else can go other than the parts that make the car go.

^This. I certainly like having cruise control and power windows and so forth, but they're not essential. And although I went through D.C.'s hottest summer on record without a/c and wouldn't have turned it on too often even if it did work, it's something I can definitely appreciate having.

If I were picking just one other to keep, it would be the cruise, but I'd be fine without it.

omicron

Air-conditioning, by miles. I can't stand feeling all sweaty and hot (as distinct from hot, sweaty and how's your father).

MX793

Air Con.  I generally only run it for short durations in the summer to get the car cooled down when it's been parked outside or if I'm in stop-and-go, but it's on pretty much constantly in the winter to keep the windows from fogging.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Wow, you guys sure love using cruise control. I've never even used it one time in the Miata and think I turned it one one time in the RX-8. When I went to DC I rented a car and used it twice going up and back. So that's 3 times in 22 years of driving that I can recall using it. I personally don't care for it.

Also, you guys will have a wife one day. And just think of what they would be like without A/C in your hot car. A/C is way more important then cruise.

ifcar

Cruise control is handy to make sure you don't drift over whatever speed you'd like to go (when I use it, typically about 8 mph over whatever the limit happens to be), so you can concentrate on other aspects of driving rather than monitoring your speed.

Onslaught

I've never found monitoring my speed difficult. And with all the fucking cars on the roads these days I can never keep it at one speed anyway. Unless I'm traveling late at night.

Raza

If I can only choose one, it's air conditioning.  I hate being hot.  I hate the summer.  This past summer, we had about two weeks where every single day had highs of 100+ (topping at 117 registered on my car's thermometer) and very high humidity.  Stuck in traffic, baking in a car at that temperature, you'll not just be uncomfortable, you'll die. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on November 26, 2011, 07:53:41 AM
I've never found monitoring my speed difficult. And with all the fucking cars on the roads these days I can never keep it at one speed anyway. Unless I'm traveling late at night.

You get better gas mileage.  I use it a lot for long trips.  It also helps me not do 130 all the time when the roads are clear. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Cruise control is pretty useless in the Northeast. I've never used it up there.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26167.msg1621473#msg1621473 date=1322327509
You get better gas mileage.  I use it a lot for long trips.  It also helps me not do 130 all the time when the roads are clear.  
I can see why you'd need it. I can also see why you need a new job or move closer to it also. But for me it's pointless. I'f I'm driving to Atlanta, the Beach or whatever's near here the traffic will make cruise pointless.