Extended Warrnties/AAA Warranties

Started by TurboDan, November 27, 2011, 06:15:49 PM

TurboDan

Anyone have experience with any of this stuff? Think I'm probably going to end up with a used LR2, and even though I trust LR has resolved most of their issues from years past, well, ya know...

Opinions?

S204STi

Read the fine print carefully if you do go for something like this.  Typically it will cost you a couple grand, which you can earn back in a hurry if stuff starts to go south, or it could be a waste if what breaks isn't covered.  I've seen both happen in the industry.

cawimmer430

What car are you currently driving?

I am not a member of ADAC here in Germany so if my car should break down I have the option of calling BMW Mobile Service and they'll sound out a mechanic to try and fix my car up. If nothing can be done they'll pay for towing costs. This works only if the car is under warranty. My warranty runs out in June of 2012 and by then I hope to have sold the car and gotten a newer and bigger car for my business.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 28, 2011, 06:36:26 AM
What car are you currently driving?

I am not a member of ADAC here in Germany so if my car should break down I have the option of calling BMW Mobile Service and they'll sound out a mechanic to try and fix my car up. If nothing can be done they'll pay for towing costs. This works only if the car is under warranty. My warranty runs out in June of 2012 and by then I hope to have sold the car and gotten a newer and bigger car for my business.

I still have ye olde Passat. But it's up to 151K, and following a summer and fall of hurricanes and floods, I'm feeling like I should get an SUV of some sort. It was kind of scary when the hurricane was coming this summer and I had absolutely no way of getting my boat out of the water. It ended up being fine but... what if next time it isn't? Plus, we had a couple of huge flooding events (I live on a barrier island) and I'd rather have something capable of at least fording minor tidal floods.

I'm not too worried about the power train in the LR2. It's straight outta the Volvo S80, and it's bulletproof. But I'd like some kinda insurance against future gremlins. Extended warranties are a gamble, and obviously the house usually wins, so I'm kinda torn.

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on November 28, 2011, 09:10:06 AM

I'm not too worried about the power train in the LR2. It's straight outta the Volvo S80, and it's bulletproof. But I'd like some kinda insurance against future gremlins. Extended warranties are a gamble, and obviously the house usually wins, so I'm kinda torn.

As long as they don't charge you a fortune, just look at it as win-win: Either you make good use of the warranty or your car never requires unscheduled service.

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on November 28, 2011, 09:10:06 AM
I still have ye olde Passat. But it's up to 151K, and following a summer and fall of hurricanes and floods, I'm feeling like I should get an SUV of some sort. It was kind of scary when the hurricane was coming this summer and I had absolutely no way of getting my boat out of the water. It ended up being fine but... what if next time it isn't? Plus, we had a couple of huge flooding events (I live on a barrier island) and I'd rather have something capable of at least fording minor tidal floods.

Go with what your heart and emotions tell you to go for. The LR2 is a cool vehicle and I seriously doubt they're as "troublesome" as people make them out to be.  :ohyeah:

Good to see your Passat has been holding up so well.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Aftermarket warranties generally only pay for some parts, not all. They won't pay for parts they consider maintenance items. They won't pay for some other parts for no apparent reason. I hate dealing with them because, like any insurance company, they try to cheap out many times. The result is the customer ends up paying for part of the repair.
A factory backed warranty is always best if you can get it.

TurboDan

So today I test drove a BMW 328i. Salesman let me "take it for the afternoon" to see how I liked it. Took it to some back roads and had some FUN! Now I'm torn. This is a GOOD problem to have, of course.  :ohyeah:

I want to be able to pull my boat out of the water in an emergency, but wow, this BMW absolutely destroyed both my former Saab and the Passat in.... well.... everything. It was a really cool vehicle to drive. Wish I could buy BOTH!

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on November 30, 2011, 12:29:25 AM
So today I test drove a BMW 328i. Salesman let me "take it for the afternoon" to see how I liked it. Took it to some back roads and had some FUN! Now I'm torn. This is a GOOD problem to have, of course.  :ohyeah:

I want to be able to pull my boat out of the water in an emergency, but wow, this BMW absolutely destroyed both my former Saab and the Passat in.... well.... everything. It was a really cool vehicle to drive. Wish I could buy BOTH!

What year was that 328i?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on November 30, 2011, 12:29:25 AM

328i and old pickup/SUV?

SVT666

The extended warranty I had on my Focus was really good.  I bent my front suspension when I hit a good dip in the road at 90 mph and they replaced it all with a $100 deductible.

TurboDan

Byteme

On average you will pay more for the warranty than having it will save you in repair costs. 

My advice would be to take the money and put it in your IRA, bank, your 401K, or anywhere but an extended warranty plan.

NomisR

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 01, 2011, 06:05:20 AM
On average you will pay more for the warranty than having it will save you in repair costs. 

My advice would be to take the money and put it in your IRA, bank, your 401K, or anywhere but an extended warranty plan.

But he's talking about a Landrover though and he's most likely not going to work on the car himself.. so it depends on how much he drives and what the warranty covers. 

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on December 01, 2011, 01:06:45 PM
But he's talking about a Landrover though and he's most likely not going to work on the car himself.. so it depends on how much he drives and what the warranty covers. 

In the context of my response it makes no difference.  If Range Rovers are more prone to breakdown the cost of coverage will be higher than it would be for a more bulletproof car.   If his mileage is less thatn the average per year it makes even less sense to buy the warranty since most repairs  are mileage induced, not age induced. 

NomisR

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 01, 2011, 01:12:51 PM
In the context of my response it makes no difference.  If Range Rovers are more prone to breakdown the cost of coverage will be higher than it would be for a more bulletproof car.   If his mileage is less thatn the average per year it makes even less sense to buy the warranty since most repairs  are mileage induced, not age induced. 

True.. most cars, you probably won't need any major repairs until 100+k miles anyways.  Which by then, the warranty would be up.

TurboDan

Right. I'm beginning to be swayed against the extended warranty. The LR2's powertrain is straight out of the Volvo S80, which from what I understand is relatively bulletproof. So in that sense, these "powertrain warranties" seem silly.

Byteme

Quote from: TurboDan on December 02, 2011, 09:37:17 AM
Right. I'm beginning to be swayed against the extended warranty. The LR2's powertrain is straight out of the Volvo S80, which from what I understand is relatively bulletproof. So in that sense, these "powertrain warranties" seem silly.

The basic power train and vehicle structure and soft goods, upholstery and the like, on even the cheapest car should be good for at least 100,000 miles. Emissions controls and electronics would be what I would worry about.  Which is one argument for a car that's not loaded with silly electronic bells and whistles.