Luxgen 5

Started by 2o6, December 07, 2011, 10:47:20 PM

2o6

Small compact sedan from Taiwanese manufacturer Luxgen.

It's a bit of a mismash of Hyundai, VW and maybe Suzuki cues, but it's fairly handsome and I like the interior.

Powered by two turbo engines, one 1.8 (150HP) and 2.0 (170HP) mated to either a 5 or 6 speed auto.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/12/taiwan-luxgen-launches-its-first-sedan.html

Vinsanity

well, it's better than the cars from the mainland companies

S204STi

The two things I like about this car are the model on the left, and the model on the right.  They can keep the rest.

Northlands

Looks like a Civic and an Elantra decided to have a ..er....child. Not quite blatant, but it just doesn't truly look like it's own car.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

ifcar

Looks nice. The front looks vaguely French, but I wouldn't say it looks like a copy of anything.

Raza

It looks like a Japanese version of a French car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

I think Luxgen may actually have a chance of breaking into western markets.

Xer0

Turbo engines and only making that much hp?  Underwhelming.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on December 08, 2011, 10:19:30 AM
Turbo engines and only making that much hp?  Underwhelming.

They're a new company....

Besides, they're probably older motors with low-pressure turbos (and no GDI).

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on December 08, 2011, 10:11:36 AM
I think Luxgen may actually have a chance of breaking into western markets.

I wonder what their selling point would be, though. It's a nice looking car, but I don't see a newcomer breaking into the "premium compact" segment that the established players have a hard enough time trying to sell in.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2011, 10:22:31 AM
I wonder what their selling point would be, though. It's a nice looking car, but I don't see a newcomer breaking into the "premium compact" segment that the established players have a hard enough time trying to sell in.

Make it mainstream with lots of features.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on December 08, 2011, 10:24:28 AM
Make it mainstream with lots of features.

As long as people buy Corollas and Civics without even thinking of anything else, it'll be a tough market to crack. Hyundai, Ford, and Chevy are already trying to squeeze themselves between the Civic/Corolla and Mazda 3/Jetta.

Maybe if they make this like a rolling smartphone or something you can download apps into. Kids love the smartphones.

cawimmer430

I'm not feeling it at all.

To me it looks like the generic mainstream car coming out from Buick (Opel), Hyundai, Kia etc. these days. No design character, no visual character and a boring symmetrical interior.  :huh:

Maybe it looks better in person, just not feeling it from the photos. Things tend to look more impressive in person than in photos.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2011, 10:22:31 AM

They can do premium compact for shitty compact prices; that'll be a selling point. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2011, 10:34:37 AM
As long as people buy Corollas and Civics without even thinking of anything else, it'll be a tough market to crack. Hyundai, Ford, and Chevy are already trying to squeeze themselves between the Civic/Corolla and Mazda 3/Jetta.

Maybe if they make this like a rolling smartphone or something you can download apps into. Kids love the smartphones.

Come in at or below the competition with loads of features.

Galaxy

Generic it may be, but at least it is not ugly like so many of the Chinese cars.

Submariner

That's actually...not bad.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

68_427

Side profile is Verano-ish.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

I think it looks decent. Like the interior a lot, actually.