Don't sob at the funeral for Saab.

Started by Byteme, December 19, 2011, 07:32:15 AM

Rich

Just about the only cars I'm interested now are the V8 pony cars, the FR-S/BRZ, and the 370Z
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

850CSi

Quote from: thecarnut on December 24, 2011, 05:15:23 PM
Same. It makes me especially sad when I think about what Honda BMW was 10 years ago...

MUCH sadder

E46
E39
E38

:mask:

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on December 19, 2011, 07:54:52 PM
I don't understand why people say that the 900NG and 9-5 were bad products

Because they broke down. All the time.

I loved my Saab when it worked. It was an awesome car to drive. But it never fucking worked. It was in the shop all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if I spent in upwards of $10,000 in repairs to that car in the four or five years I owned it. It was, by far, the most unreliable and disastrous car I ever owned, and probably ever will own. I couldn't even count how many times I had to call AAA tow trucks to pick me up on the side of the road.

And it's not just me. Everyone I know, including my uncle (who I should've listened to before buying the damn thing) who has owned one decried it as a pain in the ass to own and one big repair bill.

And you guys all know me well enough to know that reliability (or the appearance of it) isn't my absolute top aspect of a car. I don't freak out over something breaking every once in a while if it means a superior driving experience or some cool technology. I don't want a soul-less appliance like a Toyota. But everyone has their limits. The vast majority of people I've met who have owned Saabs say they loved the driving experience, but would never, ever, ever, buy one again. I wouldn't take one if it was given to me 50% off because I know the repair bills would STILL have me under water on the deal.

Do that long enough, and nobody will buy your cars anymore. THAT is what happened to Saab.

Tave

The phrase "Saab and weep" didn't appear out of thin air. It took decades of careful devotion to building unreliable cars to earn that nickname.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Saw a new 9-5 on the road today. What a shame.

Galaxy

Well Saab has been bought by a Japanese-Chinese company, that primarily focuses on bio fuels in China. The owner apparently thinks he can build electric cars (although also conventional ones) and sell the green energy in one package. Yeah good luck with that.

Of course there is still the problem that GM owns most of the patents, and the brand Saab is owned by the Saab Aerospace.

http://www.saabsunited.com/