So is it worth it?

Started by GoCougs, December 20, 2011, 12:55:46 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 08, 2012, 10:03:50 PM
Again, as I come closer to grokking the decision and actually testing driving cars...

Did you actually just say "grokking?"
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2012, 12:07:15 AM
Did you actually just say "grokking?"

I did. 'Tis a good term. Liked the book but not the biggest Heinlein fan despite trying many times.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 09, 2012, 12:30:36 AM
I did. 'Tis a good term. Liked the book but not the biggest Heinlein fan despite trying many times.

Okay. Just checkin'
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on January 08, 2012, 11:32:13 PM
I'm not sure why you think there is such a drastic difference in reliability between an Camry and, say, an A4. My Passat (same car different skin, at least back in my model year) was very reliable 'til I traded it in at 153K miles a few weeks ago ? just oil changes, brakes/tires and changed the timing belt around 100K. It had one factory defect, which was covered under warranty. Growing up, my family usually always had one "plebian" car and one luxury and/or sports car. Save my Saab Story, I never remember any of those luxury/performance cars being significantly less reliable than the other cars. I think those issues tend to be overstated.

I hate to use an old slogan, but "driving is believing," if that makes any sense. When I was just searching for a car, I test drove a BMW 3er. It was actually an emotional experience for me. You could feel the soul of the car. I wish I could've gotten it, but unfortunately my situation is such that I need an SUV at the moment. But some day when the LR2 starts getting long in the tooth with 150K miles, I think I'll end up keeping it as a second utility car that I can beat up on the beach/in the woods without worrying about scratching paint etc., and get a 3er. I had never really driven one, save for a girl I went on a date with once who had a couple too many drinks at dinner, but it was an enjoyable experience.

If you drive the car and it does nothing for you, move on...

Between official sources (JD, Consumer Reports) and the significant anecdotal stories from my myriad Teutonic-centric friends, I have concluded that such cars aren't as reliable as a Camcord. Many such enthusiasts not only acknowledge such things, they're fine with it - they see it as an equitable trade, including my friend with the 996 Turbo (told me yesterday it's developed an engine leak recently). I just wouldn't be. Life's too busy to muck about with car repairs - I've spent way too much time in the past mucking with such things.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on January 08, 2012, 11:55:14 PM
All you are doing is trying to convince yourself just to get a new Camry or Accord.  Spare us the "...more engaging than all your cars..." bullshit.  They aren't.  You know it.  We know it.  You want another dull midsize family sedan, so just buy one.

Once your fortunes turn around get yourself something better for crying out loud; until then just stop being bitter and jealous about what other people are doing.

Cookie Monster

I'm still not sure where the "Camcord V6's are better than most cars" argument. Pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread has or had a car more fun than a Camcord V6.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

I knew this thread would devolve to that eventually. Cougs is just baiting the board.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

I didn't devolve it. We can thank for like the 37th time the turkey who is literally suffering PTSD from the Camaro's success as a product and as a market presence insists on polluting any thread I care to post in.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on January 08, 2012, 08:48:50 PM
You sure about that? I don't know of anyone with that kind of money. Even ones who are retired or working for it.

No actually that is probably pretty close IMO, depending on what kind of pensions one has when they retire. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 08, 2012, 10:03:50 PM
And despite what is said on here, they are better performing and more engaging cars to drive than most cars

Such as?

I agree that they are good cars ownership wise, but I have driven the best those marques have to offer (07 Accord V6 6 speed coupe), and while that was somewhat fun it was hardly thrilling. These are still 3500lb automatic transmission FWD sedans... there is good reason people don't choose these platforms for racing...

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 08, 2012, 10:28:41 PM
The issue is, just by trending inflation of health care, and major lifestyle items such as fuel, utilities, and the like, plus abominable monetary policy, I estimate a 5% inflation rate and a 3% savings rate. That means that $2MM in 2037 is equivalent to only $754,000 today, which if factoring in a $2,000/month draw down, would leave a retiree with $0 during the 19th year of retirement.

True, few have that kind of money. Scary indeed.

If that advice is from a finacial planner you need a new one, IMHO.  Don't forget your investments (401k, any brokerage accounts, 403B, whatever are not sitting stagnant, or shouldn't be at least).  You should have your money is something that returns a decent ROR.  and some of it in something that shows decent growth and return potential. You should be making the max contribution to your 401K or 403B. and saving elsewhere as well, if you can.  Pretax deductions are your best friend.

As for a car.  I'v owned at least 1 toy in addition to the daily drivers since I was 30.  One doesn't need to invest a ton of money in one to have fun.  Don't want one for a daily driver, fine.  Get one as a second car toy.  I enjoy wrenching so it's a hobby with me.  My philosophy is that it's better to look back and think, "Damn, that Fiat Spider, or Model A, or E-type or fill in the blank, was a lot of fun"  rather than sitting there when you retire and thinking, "Damn, I wish, I'd bought that car back in 2012".  You only are going to ride this merry-go-round once, so enjoy it while you can.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 09, 2012, 12:40:07 AM
Once your fortunes turn around get yourself something better for crying out loud; until then just stop being bitter and jealous about what other people are doing.
My forutes turn around?  My wife and I grossed $180,000 last calendar year.  We went on three trips, bought a trailer and a boat and paid cash for it all.  So fuck you.  If you want a Camcord V6, then buy a Camcord V6 and stop trying to justify it with bullshit arguments like "...more engaging to drive than any other Spinner's cars..."

If you can't find a compelling reason why a CPO 5 Series or brand new 3 Series or whatever else you are mythically looking at is better than a Camry, then there is nothing that any of the entusiasts on this forum can say or do to change your mind.  You don't have to convince us of your car decision since we all knew you would end up with a Camcord before you did.  The purpose of this thread is to convince yourself...hence the the BS excuses to buy a Camcord.

sportyaccordy

Lol

For what YOU want the CamCord is perfect. Where you (justifiably) get shitted on is trying to say the CamCord is perfect for everybody. And then to have the gall to say they are engaging. Again compared to what? The most popular car here is the Miata. SVT666's Focus is way more engaging than pretty much any CamCord ever made. So what exactly are you talking about?

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 09, 2012, 12:38:05 AM
Life's too busy to muck about with car repairs - I've spent way too much time in the past mucking with such things.

And life is too short to drive an appliance.   Unless, of course, that's all you demand of a car.  :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TurboDan

Who here would be jealous of your hypothetical Camcord? To the contrary, when I see a middle aged guy driving one of those things, I always feel sorry for guy, having made the assumption that he would've gotten something cooler had his wife not de-balled him to such an extent that he has to drive a boring, cheap sedan that meets the approval of her sensibilities.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: TurboDan on January 09, 2012, 09:14:09 AM
Who here would be jealous of your hypothetical Camcord? To the contrary, when I see a middle aged guy driving one of those things, I always feel sorry for guy, having made the assumption that he would've gotten something cooler had his wife not de-balled him to such an extent that he has to drive a boring, cheap sedan that meets the approval of her sensibilities.
I don't always think it's the wife's fault, but I do feel bad for the guy driving it still. To be single, with no family, and yet still pining for a V6 Camcord, all while trashing people who drive far more engaging cars, is pretty pathetic.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 09, 2012, 07:49:39 AM
Such as?

I agree that they are good cars ownership wise, but I have driven the best those marques have to offer (07 Accord V6 6 speed coupe), and while that was somewhat fun it was hardly thrilling. These are still 3500lb automatic transmission FWD sedans... there is good reason people don't choose these platforms for racing...

Hey SportyAccordy, didn't you purchase and modify something like 3 Honda Accords? :wtf:

Quote from: GoCougs on January 09, 2012, 07:26:41 AM
I didn't devolve it. We can thank for like the 37th time the turkey who is literally suffering PTSD from the Camaro's success as a product and as a market presence insists on polluting any thread I care to post in.

The thread was dead the moment you decided that "it" wasn't worth it. I won't fault you for buying a Toyota Camry if that's what you want, and I think people here take the whole Camcord criticism thing way too far, but surely you can understand why they don't want to have endless discussions about cars they don't find to be exciting in any way.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on January 07, 2012, 10:30:08 PM
Unacceptable backseat room - it's almost a four-door 2+2. But I do like the car overall.

I test drove an IS back when I bought the vette and reached the same conclusion. Back seat room is abysmal, defeating the purpose of a sedan IMO. It ranked last of the sedans I considered, vs the g35 and 3er.

With all the outdoor stuff you do I'm surprised you aren't exclusively looking at hatch or wagons if not a small SUV. Almost seems a 2 car setup would make most sense.

I come up with a minimum $3 million (in today's dollars) plus paid off house and no personal debt for a comfortable (but not lavish) retirement. I don't want to be in a position where I'd have to touch principal at all in order to fund living expenses, which is really just a gamble on how long you think you'll live.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on January 09, 2012, 09:49:17 AM
I come up with a minimum $3 million (in today's dollars) plus paid off house and no personal debt for a comfortable (but not lavish) retirement. I don't want to be in a position where I'd have to touch principal at all in order to fund living expenses, which is really just a gamble on how long you think you'll live.

What do you consider a safe but reasonable rate of return?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on January 09, 2012, 09:42:49 AMHey SportyAccordy, didn't you purchase and modify something like 3 Honda Accords? :wtf:

I did... and they were fun... but I also didn't know what else was out there. I still have some fond memories of those cars, but much of that was based in context.

I've driven the same cars recently... and found them to be boring and old. People's opinions can change over time :huh:

Like I said... the cars are decent. With some mods they can be fun. But we all know Cougs won't turn a wrench (and I don't fault him for that). But I still think it's ridiculous for him to assert something like an Accord DX V6 is more engaging than... well... anything. The cars are designed to isolate.

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on January 08, 2012, 02:27:29 PM
Rear leg room is 30.6" - smaller than ANY compact I can Google. The back seats are coupe useless.

It feels even smaller than the numbers suggest. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Lebowski

Quote from: Submariner on January 09, 2012, 10:52:04 AM
It feels even smaller than the numbers suggest. 

Unless they've made changes recently the problem is the shape of the front seats leaves no knee room. It's horrible.

S4 ain't much better.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 09, 2012, 11:21:44 AM
Unless they've made changes recently the problem is the shape of the front seats leaves no knee room. It's horrible.

S4 ain't much better.

Having been in the back seat of my brother's car, I agree.  The rear seats are tight for full size adults. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26343.msg1646107#msg1646107 date=1326134066
Having been in the back seat of my brother's car, I agree.  The rear seats are tight for full size adults. 
As opposed to miniature adults?

MrH

I have plenty of pint size adult friends. They just stopped growing i guess.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on January 09, 2012, 11:35:36 AM

Well, these guys never complain about the lack of rear leg room.  Or headroom for that matter.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on January 09, 2012, 11:35:36 AM

I have a lot of midget friends from that summer I worked at a circus.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

3.0L V6

Ok, having established what the baseline for what you want - have you considered a second-gen Mazda 6 V6? Or perhaps a Nissan Altima V6 or a Maxima?

Both seem to fit your needs well and tend towards the sporty side of the mid-size sedan spectrum.