Once a Month
1 (4%)
Every now and again (more than a month)
15 (60%)
Never. (yeah, right)
3 (12%)
I drive an automatic
2 (8%)
I drive an automatic, but my automatic stalls.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

S204STi

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
Raza, we all understand that's the definition of "stall" that you are using. Hell, I'm personally fine with that, like I said, go ahead and use it; it's a perfectly acceptable definition.

All I was trying to do was add some color and nuance to the discussion. I knew as soon as I opened this thread, that different people might understand "stall" to mean different things. Some people, like you, would understand "stall" to be any time you killed a car by letting out the clutch." Other people would obviously use "stall" in its narrow sense: "to bring to a standstill unintentionally."

I'm sorry that my attempt to introduce that nuance of meaning was so offensive to you.

I wasn't offended until you got all defensive by me pointing out and then started in with the personal insults.  I was just pointing out that the way you explained it was funny. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Well then, I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities. :evildude:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 02:41:23 PM
Well then, I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities. :evildude:

Hey, be a douchebag and I'll be an asshole in return.  That's how that goes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I've never stalled any car, ever. I'm just that awesome, guys.

Also, I modulate the clutch perfectly every time with my 3' long penis.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 03, 2012, 03:15:06 PM
I've never stalled any car, ever. I'm just that awesome, guys.

Also, I modulate the clutch perfectly every time with my 3' long penis.
:lol: :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on January 03, 2012, 11:30:48 AM
It's a stall.  The engine stalled.  You stalled.  How about this?  I'll go on to say more paradoxically inaccurate statements and then cry about it when people call me out.

I never pee, except when I drink too many fluids and have to expel them from my body. 
I never answer a phone, except for when someone calls me on it.
I quit smoking, except for when I'm having a cigarette.
I'm a vegetarian, but I eat meat.

Here's a dictionary(.com) definition of "stall":

15. to cause (a motor or the vehicle it powers) to stop, especially by supplying it with a poor fuel mixture or overloading it.

And here's another one:

17.  to bring to a standstill; check the progress or motion of, especially unintentionally.

Both of these accurately describe your non-stall stalls as stalls. 

Your second definition actually proves Tave right. By letting the clutch out while parked, he didn't not bring the car to a standstill nor check the progress of it. If you're concerned about using the right terminology, "premature shut off" seems to be a better description.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 10:23:58 AM

How about this, I'll say it my way, you can say it your way, and if you don't like it, then tough nuggets.

Ok.

Mods, can we please reset the poll so everyone can select "never", since apparently stalling doesn't actually count as stalling?

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on January 03, 2012, 04:36:43 PM
Ok.

Mods, can we please reset the poll so everyone can select "never", since apparently stalling doesn't actually count as stalling?

Mods, while you're at it, can you scrounge up a big giant douche nozzle to wash all that sand out of Lebowski's vagina?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

I never stall.

I drive an automatic.

Lebowski

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 03, 2012, 04:19:48 PM

Your second definition actually proves Tave right. By letting the clutch out while parked, he didn't not bring the car to a standstill nor check the progress of it.

Unless he meant to kill the car by releasing the clutch, he unintentionally brought the engine to a standstill.  Whether the car is moving has nothing to do with it.  You can stall while the car is rolling forward, it's still a stall.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2012, 02:05:35 PM

Other people would obviously use "stall" in its narrow sense: "to bring to a standstill unintentionally."

Under this definition as well you stalled.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Lebowski on January 03, 2012, 07:07:39 PM
Unless he meant to kill the car by releasing the clutch, he unintentionally brought the engine to a standstill.  Whether the car is moving has nothing to do with it.  You can stall while the car is rolling forward, it's still a stall.

Going off of Raza's definitions, bringing the engine to a standstill was only half of the first definition, or if you include both definitions, 1/4 of the total definition. If you're going to be anal about that 25%, go for it. But it's perfectly rational to not consider it stalling.

Lebowski

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 03, 2012, 07:17:00 PM
Going off of Raza's definitions, bringing the engine to a standstill was only half of the first definition, or if you include both definitions, 1/4 of the total definition. If you're going to be anal about that 25%, go for it. But it's perfectly rational to not consider it stalling.

It's a stall under any and every definition of the word.

hotrodalex

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Wow, I just looked back in on this and now I wish I hadn't. I'm with Raza on this one.

GoCougs

I'm going to side with Tave on this one I think. Stalling when trying to get under way is what counts for the context of this question, for it carries the weight of mistake much further than popping the clutch when turning off the car.

So to answer it, I'd have to say essentially never, or at least with the last two M/T vehicles I had. Both were both trucks; fairly low first gear, ginormous flywheel (especially the Tacoma), and fair amount of low-end torque; you'd have to make an effort to stall them.

sportyaccordy

I'm not siding with either because this argument is pointless.

Byteme

Crap, I hardly ever stall a car, but the other day I was pulling into a parking lot still in 3rd, just getting ready to downshift and some twit backed out unexpectedly and I had to slow and killed the engine.  Still rolling so I just put it in first and let out the clutch which restarted the engine.  Does that cancel out the stall?   :lol:

So far as I'm concerned if you are behind the wheel and the engine dies because of something you did or didn't do you stalled the engine.  Now are we all clear on that and can we move on.   :lol: :lol:

shp4man

Harleys have some powerful low end torque with two big flywheels and a long stroke. If you stall out one of those when you let out the clutch, your fuckin' up.  :lol:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: shp4man on January 04, 2012, 11:29:41 AM
Harleys have some powerful low end torque with two big flywheels and a long stroke. If you stall out one of those when you let out the clutch, your fuckin' up.  :lol:
You guys pretty much just idle everywhere anyway, so alls ya gotta do is let the clutch out slow enough :lol:

TBR

For what it's worth, regardless of whether you or not you are parking, inadvertently turning the engine off via not using the clutch properly is stalling. I understand there's a distinction between that and stalling while setting off, but it's still stalling. I don't know what else you'd call it.

I also don't understand why so many of you do it so frequently. I did it once in my Neon and haven't done it since.

93JC

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 04, 2012, 12:33:46 PM
You guys pretty much just idle everywhere anyway,

On the contrary, it seems to me that even when stopped Harley riders can't help themselves from revving the engine for no apparent reason other than to be loud. :tounge:

shp4man

Quote from: 93JC on January 04, 2012, 03:20:21 PM
On the contrary, it seems to me that even when stopped Harley riders can't help themselves from revving the engine for no apparent reason other than to be loud. :tounge:

LOL. I was at a stop light the other day and some dude on a Shadow started revving. Needless to say the I took him by 3 lengths when we crossed the next intersection. :ohyeah:

Secret Chimp

I never ever ever ever ever do it in the Miata any more. Ever. The only time I've stalled the Dodge was jumping off the gas too quickly trying to get it up my driveway.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 04, 2012, 06:06:43 PM
The only time I've stalled the Dodge was jumping off the gas too quickly trying to get it up my driveway.

Wat. Isn't it an automatic?

NomisR

Last time it happened, my RSX had a bad O2 sensor and the idle was going low enough that it was stalling.  So I stall out about 4-5 times a day.. since the sensored got replaced.  Not yet..

Onslaught

I just did. My mouth opened up in disbelief and the first thing I thought of was this post. I was trying to back my RX-8 into my shop next to my Miata. It's a small shop and I wanted to dry them both off in there after washing them to get out of the cold. I was being too careful and somehow didn't give it enough gas like an idiot.

Lebowski

Quote from: Onslaught on January 05, 2012, 03:54:27 PM
I just did. My mouth opened up in disbelief and the first thing I thought of was this post. I was trying to back my RX-8 into my shop next to my Miata. It's a small shop and I wanted to dry them both off in there after washing them to get out of the cold. I was being too careful and somehow didn't give it enough gas like an idiot.

Doesnt count if moving backwards.