Once a Month
1 (4%)
Every now and again (more than a month)
15 (60%)
Never. (yeah, right)
3 (12%)
I drive an automatic
2 (8%)
I drive an automatic, but my automatic stalls.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Lebowski

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 04, 2012, 06:06:43 PM

The only time I've stalled the Dodge was jumping off the gas too quickly trying to get it up my driveway.

Doesn't count, there was an incline involved.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Lebowski on January 05, 2012, 04:34:43 PM
Doesnt count if moving backwards.
Thank God. So what do I call it then?

giant_mtb

See, that's the thing.  No matter the circumstance, you're going to say "I stalled out" or some such thing.  Fuck up starting off from a light?  "Oh shit, I stalled."  Screw up when parking?  "Damn, stalled it." 

$.02

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 05, 2012, 11:48:05 PM
See, that's the thing.  No matter the circumstance, you're going to say "I stalled out" or some such thing.  Fuck up starting off from a light?  "Oh shit, I stalled."  Screw up when parking?  "Damn, stalled it." 

$.02
Seeing how in both cases you fucked up and are the reason the car is dead then I think it's ok to call it one thing.

hotrodalex

It's still different when you're sitting in a parking space or your driveway. If you just take your foot off the clutch before turning it off, you're not going to turn the engine back on. It's just premature killing.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 06, 2012, 03:42:31 AM
It's still different when you're sitting in a parking space or your driveway. If you just take your foot off the clutch before turning it off, you're not going to turn the engine back on. It's just premature killing.

No, it isn't.  Mechanically, it's the same action as any other stall.  This is because it's a stall. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 05, 2012, 11:48:05 PM

$.02

I say, "Damn, I killed it," hence my original comment:

Quote from: Tave on December 27, 2011, 10:21:16 PM
I do however, and this is a little embarrassing, flat-out kill it about once every 6 months.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26379.msg1644007#msg1644007 date=1325851578
No, it isn't.  Mechanically, it's the same action as any other stall.  This is because it's a stall. 
I must agree. It's true that you didn't want the car to move anymore. But you still stalled the car even if turning it off was what you wanted.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on January 06, 2012, 05:06:18 AM

Mechanically, yes. But it's a completely different situation.

Colonel Cadillac

I am with Raza and Lebowski here. You guys are ridiculous. Stalling is stalling and the definition is extraordinarily clear.

Also, some of you have incredible egos. "I also don't understand why so many of you do it so frequently. I did it once."

hotrodalex

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 06, 2012, 05:07:42 PM
I am with Raza and Lebowski here. You guys are ridiculous. Stalling is stalling and the definition is extraordinarily clear.

In the context of this thread/poll, killing the engine with the clutch while sitting in your garage/driveway - moments before you would have turned it off with the key - doesn't seem to apply.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on January 03, 2012, 01:02:22 PM
This is hilarious.

Raza, you're wrong.
What's hilarious is this argument, everybody knows what he's talking about, he knows what you're talking about, and the word itself seems perfectly fine to use for either instance.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quit stalling and get to the point.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 06, 2012, 06:06:25 PM
Quit stalling and get to the point.

El Camino is too modern to use points. :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

hotrodalex

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 06, 2012, 08:16:15 PM
HEI?! :wub:

I believe so. It says "Delco-Remy" on the top. It's the one from the 305 that came in the car (it was originally in a later 70's Camaro).

Onslaught

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 06, 2012, 05:49:51 PM
In the context of this thread/poll, killing the engine with the clutch while sitting in your garage/driveway - moments before you would have turned it off with the key - doesn't seem to apply.
The poll is "How Often do you stall?"

If you fucking stall it's a God damn stall. I don't give a shit what the ass hole who made this fucking retarded thread was thinking.  Backing up? stall
Going forward? Stall. Driving off a fucking cliff? Stall. It's the same God damn thing.

Now forgive me. I'm out of drinks and must go and mix a new one. Fuck tards.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Onslaught on January 06, 2012, 09:25:29 PM

If you fucking stall it's a God damn stall. I don't give a shit what the ass hole who made this fucking retarded thread was thinking.  Backing up? stall
Going forward? Stall. Driving off a fucking cliff? Stall. It's the same God damn thing.

:cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: Onslaught on January 06, 2012, 09:25:29 PM

Problem is each of the situations you named have nothing to do with sitting in a parking spot going nowhere. :huh:

TBR

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 06, 2012, 05:07:42 PM

Also, some of you have incredible egos. "I also don't understand why so many of you do it so frequently. I did it once."

Hmm? I don't get how my comment indicated anything about my ego. I just don't understand why numerous posters on this board apparently have so much difficulty remembering to turn their car off before letting the clutch out. I did it once and then adjusted my routine appropriately.

As noted earlier, I do properly stall every once in a while, especially when I am not particularly familiar with the car. Not trying to make myself out to be an incredibly awesome driver or anything.

Rupert

I have a routine for shutting the car down, but I still kill it every now and then. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on January 06, 2012, 11:58:48 PM
I have a routine for shutting the car down, but I still kill it every now and then. :huh:

No reason to shoot the car just because you stall it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I don't shoot it. I drive it into a tar pit, and then set the whole thing on fire. Effective.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on January 07, 2012, 12:26:19 AM
I don't shoot it. I drive it into a tar pit, and then set the whole thing on fire. Effective.

You know how hard it is to find a convieniently located tar pit?

Rupert

I do. I'm a geologist, though, so it's not that bad.

Onslaught

Fuck. My eyes are blood red. Perhaps we should do a poll on what a stall is and winner takes all.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on January 06, 2012, 11:40:31 PM
Hmm? I don't get how my comment indicated anything about my ego. I just don't understand why numerous posters on this board apparently have so much difficulty remembering to turn their car off before letting the clutch out. I did it once and then adjusted my routine appropriately.

As noted earlier, I do properly stall every once in a while, especially when I am not particularly familiar with the car. Not trying to make myself out to be an incredibly awesome driver or anything.

It happened to me a couple of times when I just started driving stick exclusively, but not really since then.  Though, I have had my foot slip off the clutch before.  That was embarrassing. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i