What Do The Rich Really Drive?

Started by TurboDan, December 30, 2011, 03:15:11 PM

SVT666

Quote from: dazzleman on January 03, 2012, 07:38:38 PM
:lol:

Seriously though, since credit became too loose, it has become harder to judge people's level of wealth by the normal criteria.  A nice house no longer means wealth, unless you know how big the mortgage is.  And a nice car could be leased.  The person could give the appearance of great prosperity, and be drowning in debt.

OTOH, you can't take that too far.  Many people with money act like it -- drive nice cars, live in big houses, etc.
Leased or not, in debt or not, you still have to make enough money to cover those payments.  A lease payment on a BMW 760Li is $2300 a month before tax.  My wife and I grossed $180,000 last year and there is no way we could make those payments even if I was upside down in debt.

sportyaccordy

Obviously most people with nice cars have the money to buy them. The hyperbole is stupid.

But let's not pretend like there aren't a ton of people who buy beyond their means. The Housewives Of Wherever The Fuck who live in huge houses, drive nice cars and are on the brink of or have already filed for bankruptcy are the poster childs of this.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on January 04, 2012, 09:37:33 AM
Leased or not, in debt or not, you still have to make enough money to cover those payments.  A lease payment on a BMW 760Li is $2300 a month before tax.  My wife and I grossed $180,000 last year and there is no way we could make those payments even if I was upside down in debt.
Some people fake it and drive the cars till they get repossessed. I am pretty sure that is where most 1 year old used luxury cars come from.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 04, 2012, 12:47:55 AM
In that book I mentioned, The Millionaire Next Door, he defines it as a function of income and age, and a minimum net worth (I think $2MM but that was back in the mid '90s so equivalent to probably ~$4-5MM today). I can't remember the formula, but for example, a 40-year-old guy making $750,000 who has a $1MM net worth is not rich. However, a 49 year-old-guy making $200,000 who has $4MM net worth is rich. He uses celebrities, and rock and sports starts as notoriously non-rich high income earners. He even beats up on doctors, saying they're the worst amongst working stiffs. At the end of it, his statstical study (he does this as a profession as a college professor) is that conspicuous consumption is a hallmark of a lack of wealth (or at least the proper level of wealth).

Those standards seem a little unrealistic.

There's almost no way a 49-year-old making $200,000 per year could have accumulated $4 million without some type of financial windfall not related to working and saving.  Mathematically, it's simply impossible to have saved that much money, even with a reasonable rate of return, on that income.

I've seen some of these formulas, and I don't meet them, even though I save over 50% of my income every year and have gotten a decent return on my investments.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

How does someone making $30,000/year get rich?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Invent something really marketable.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 03, 2012, 04:02:52 PM
A couple of weeks ago I chuckled a bit when my dad parked his BMW next to an Avalanche LTZ. Chances are that Avalanche cost almost double what that BMW cost, yet it's still a Chevy.

I know a guy who bought a $60,000 Ford F-Series pickup a few weeks ago. His reasoning: he has to pull his boat, which coincidentally, is the exact same model boat I have, which could be pulled easily by an Escape.  :huh:

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on January 08, 2012, 06:12:46 PM
I know a guy who bought a $60,000 Ford F-Series pickup a few weeks ago. His reasoning: he has to pull his boat, which coincidentally, is the exact same model boat I have, which could be pulled easily by an Escape.  :huh:

People always create contrived 'needs' to justify doing something they want to do anyway.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2012, 08:31:08 PM
Those standards seem a little unrealistic.

There's almost no way a 49-year-old making $200,000 per year could have accumulated $4 million without some type of financial windfall not related to working and saving.  Mathematically, it's simply impossible to have saved that much money, even with a reasonable rate of return, on that income.

I've seen some of these formulas, and I don't meet them, even though I save over 50% of my income every year and have gotten a decent return on my investments.

The caveat extolled in the book is most of the wealthy in the US are small business equity owners, so a good portion of their net worth is in their business, which is somewhat to mostly decoupled from personal income. The book mostly talked about how it is immensely difficult, even for frugal high income earners, to become truly wealthy solely from earned income. For all intents and purposes, as you deftly point out, it is impossible save for the extremely small fraction of extremely highly paid income earners such as large company CEOs, Wall Street execs, world-renowned doctors and lawyers, etc.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TurboDan on January 08, 2012, 06:12:46 PM

Those people always crack me up. Renting a truck a couple times a year to pull the boat would be way more common sensical.  Or, I have a friend who bought a boat while he was on Rest and Recuperation leave, but also bought a ~$8k USED SUV capable of pulling it...
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 08, 2012, 09:51:22 PM
Those people always crack me up. Renting a truck a couple times a year to pull the boat would be way more common sensical.  Or, I have a friend who bought a boat while he was on Rest and Recuperation leave, but also bought a ~$8k USED SUV capable of pulling it...

Some people take their boat in and out every weekend, or move from lake to lake. Granted, not most people.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on January 06, 2012, 08:54:18 PM
Invent something really marketable.

Glow in the dark toilet seat?

A microwave that can be controlled by your iPhone?

A drop-in last shot bolt hold open device for Kalishnikovs?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

*scribblescribble*

No, uh, those are terrible ideas.

I'll just be off to call my patent lawyer now...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 08, 2012, 10:24:49 PM
A microwave that can be controlled by your iPhone?

If you could then create some sort of fridge/freezer pulley system that will move food from the fridge or freezer to the microwave, also controlled by your iPhone, I will invest in that.  Kickstarter time!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26399.msg1646076#msg1646076 date=1326128607
If you could then create some sort of fridge/freezer pulley system that will move food from the fridge or freezer to the microwave, also controlled by your iPhone, I will invest in that.  Kickstarter time!
I want a kitchen that can be controlled entirely by a smart phone.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 08, 2012, 09:37:33 PM
The caveat extolled in the book is most of the wealthy in the US are small business equity owners, so a good portion of their net worth is in their business, which is somewhat to mostly decoupled from personal income. The book mostly talked about how it is immensely difficult, even for frugal high income earners, to become truly wealthy solely from earned income. For all intents and purposes, as you deftly point out, it is impossible save for the extremely small fraction of extremely highly paid income earners such as large company CEOs, Wall Street execs, world-renowned doctors and lawyers, etc.

All that rings true to me.  While many people consider me to be very well off, I probably won't be able to retire that much before standard retirement age, unless I were to cut my spending down to the level of somebody making much less.  And keep in mind that I save over 50% of my pre-tax income.

TBR

Quote from: SVT666 on January 09, 2012, 10:16:03 AM

Give your wife a smart phone and let the texting commence :huh:

CALL_911

Hell, you don't even need a smart phone for that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Lebowski

Yep, not as much correlation between wealth (or income) and type of car as most people think.

One of the wealthiest people I know drives a Volvo C30 (or did when he lived here, now I think he still drives it when he's in town).  When he moved out west upon retirement, his frontrunner for a new car was, get this, a Nissan Juke  He didn't end up getting the Juke, I don't recall what he got instead, but it was something similarly frugal.  One of his partners (the two literally made the exact same income for the last 15 years), just traded his 599 for a 458, and also has a Hennessey Viper, and his daily driver is a Bentley Flying Spur (or whatev the 4 door continental GT is called).  The hilarious thing is, the guy w/ the C30 is actually more of a car guy, and far more knowledgable about cars.

My parents always drove "normal" cars growing up (we were by no means rich, though my dad always made a good income, easily qualifying as "rich" under the Obama definition).  My dad drove Honda Accords that he would replace after ~180k miles.  He now drives a 4Runner (his third one, both of the previous were driven for well over 100k miles, then handed down to my brother, the mooch).  My mom drove a ford aerostar and then a toyota previa, also driven well past 100k miles, and drives a lexus RX now.

Lebowski

According to this wiki link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millionaire_Next_Door

The formula is age * income * .1

Like most of these formulas, it's really only accurate for a somewhat middle of the road age range.  According to that formula, a 45 year old making $250k should have $1.125m.  I think that's a pretty reasonable target for that age and income range.  At the same time, a 30 y/o making $250k should have $750k according to the formula ... IMO the 30 y/o almost certainly hasn't had enough time to save that much, even with a high savings rate.  And a 60 y/o making $250k/yr should have $1.5m saved according to the formula, while I would argue a 60 y/o who makes that much and plans to retire soon should have saved quite a bit more than that.  Then again, interest rates were a lot higher when the book was written, so even $1.5m may have provided a decent retirement income back then.

Vinsanity

Yeah, it's not very realistic at all for a 30-year-old to have a net worth equal to 3x annual salary, especially what with student loans and all.

Submariner

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 03, 2012, 01:04:56 PM
People who want to appear rich (but actually aren't) drive 'rich' cars.

People who want to remain rich (who actually are) drive 'normal' cars.

Not sure about that...nearly every truly wealthy person I've met or know personally drives cars that represent their bank account (458, Phantom, Azure, S63, 911 Turbo, etc)

Then again, the former owner of a large restaurant chain (I've heard his net worth is north of 100 MM) keeps his cars in a converted barn on my street.  His DD is a 1996 Lincoln Town Car.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 06, 2012, 08:36:52 PM
How does someone making $30,000/year get rich?

$0 down on a three year old 750Li w/ 22' Giovanni's?

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on January 09, 2012, 10:16:03 AM

If only you could translate that technology over to women.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Submariner on January 17, 2012, 09:27:39 AM
If only you could translate that technology over to women.
Have you seen these chicks in the city? They are definitely subservient to their phones at some level. If Mark Zuckerberg issued some demands to keep them connected they would definitely comply.

Colonel Cadillac

Most of the rich people I know don't purchase cars more expensive than a 911 and most drive a 5-series, E-class or the like. There are some exceptionally rich people who go to my country club and I very rarely see a Bentley or the like in the parking lot. Subtlety is key and the WASPy way :praise:

TurboDan

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 17, 2012, 12:06:37 PM
Most of the rich people I know don't purchase cars more expensive than a 911 and most drive a 5-series, E-class or the like. There are some exceptionally rich people who go to my country club and I very rarely see a Bentley or the like in the parking lot. Subtlety is key and the WASPy way :praise:

Part of this is that most ultra-luxury cars aren't really practical for daily driving. Not too many people would want to drive around in a big ol' Rolls Royce, Bentley or S-Class every day. Even a 7er is pretty bulky. If you don't want a humongous car, you have to "downgrade."

An E-Class or 5er is a car that provides luxury and practicality, regardless of whether you have a little bit of money to throw at a car, or are worth tens of millions.

sparkplug

There are two trains of thought, some wealthy people are penny pinching to insanity, while other wealthy people realize they only live once. As long as you aren't compromising yourself financially why not have something nice.
I know a fella worth who's weathy. He drives a suburban. I know other people who made 100,000 a year but they don't have anything to show for it.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.