Cadillac ATS.

Started by sportyaccordy, January 08, 2012, 12:43:56 PM

Atomic

Quote from: TurboDan on January 08, 2012, 05:03:59 PM
True. A lot of carmakers really jump the shark with the price of options packages. Why can one get a Garmin touch screen GPS unit for $100 at K-Mart, but an OEM unit costs $3,500? Reminds me of the "CD Player" option in cars for so long. Hundreds of dollars for a CD player that probably was worth about $20.
great point, dan. yet, i like everything in-place without the look of an aftermarket add-on. however, i've seen some vehicles (like earlier volvos, for example) that had (maybe still) factory navi's that do not seem to blend in. i have also encountered some great aftermarket bluetooth, satellite radios and other systems nicely hidden or that looked apart of the dashboard design.

sportyaccordy

Something about the styling leaves me cold

68_427

The door handles light up t=when the key fob unlocks the doors.  Badass.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

I hope they offer a good mix of manual transmissions/sport packages across the engine lineup.

It's may not match the performance numbers of the BMW's, but if they can hit in the middle of BMW and Mercedes with a good blend of performance and luxury at a discounted price they should do OK with it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 08, 2012, 08:07:31 PM
I hope they offer a good mix of manual transmissions/sport packages across the engine lineup.

It's may not match the performance numbers of the BMW's, but if they can hit in the middle of BMW and Mercedes with a good blend of performance and luxury at a discounted price they should do OK with it.
Sounds like a familiar story....

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's too little too late. But maybe not.

Also I really hope this will be able to perform in accordance with its HP figures. Even though it has 30 more HP than the 328i, I honestly don't think it will be much faster, if at all, in a straight line. Hyundai lost a lot of credibility for that kind of shit with their new crop of engines.

hotrodalex

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 08, 2012, 08:35:28 PM

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's too little too late. But maybe not.

Also I really hope this will be able to perform in accordance with its HP figures. Even though it has 30 more HP than the 328i, I honestly don't think it will be much faster, if at all, in a straight line. Hyundai lost a lot of credibility for that kind of shit with their new crop of engines.

GM's HP is usually pretty credible. The only time the acceleration might not match the HP is when the car weighs more than a herd of elephants, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

CALL_911

Interior's nice, but the exterior sure has some strange proportions. I mean, I could see them working- just not with the A&S theme.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Now that's an exportable Cadillac right there.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 08, 2012, 11:28:27 PM
Interior's nice, but the exterior sure has some strange proportions. I mean, I could see them working- just not with the A&S theme.
i see what you mean. i do not hate it but it looks like they had a nicely styled car to start with and then chisel it to become a cadillac. i have always felt that way about the mercedes-benz c-class. the c-class looks too stubby with cues of larger benz's. with this new caddy, it looks bloated. IMO, audi does best job of making each car the produce a "member of the same family - with outstanding stances from every angle. the TT and sports car are the exception and that is not a bad thing.

sportyaccordy

The styling def is a little wonky

The CTS is pretty chunky as is and that has the length to fully indulge in the A&S theme... which is prob why this thing looks a little weird. One thing you have to give BMW credit for... they have always kept the 3 somewhat pretty. They ran into the same chunkiness/squashed-ness problem with the E46 sedan, but somehow they fixed that with the E90 sedan. Actually I like the E90 sedan way more than the coupe as the coupe looks too long IMO. But yea this thing is a little too short design wise. However, it is small enough that w/the right engine choices it could do somewhat well in Europe. It's a very mixed bag ATM.

2o6

Raza

It makes me feel nothing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

The rear overhang could have been a couple inches longer and would have dramatically improved the rear end's styling without really affecting the size of the car a great deal.  But that's my only complaint.  The CTS is still my favourite Caddy though.

Submariner

A whole lot of meh, but then again the whole "A&S" theme has never struck a chord with me.

Thanks, Raza  ;)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on January 09, 2012, 12:19:16 PM
A whole lot of meh, but then again the whole "A&S" theme has never struck a cord with me.

Strike a "chord".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

93JC

I like it. Like a baby CTS but smoothed over a bit.

68_427

A fair first look from Cars.com.  Small trunk is small, but fine for most people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ICNxshUSm1k
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on January 09, 2012, 01:08:33 PM
I like it. Like a baby CTS but smoothed over a bit.
It's got an MB C-class look to it.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on January 09, 2012, 02:38:55 PM
Small trunk is small,

LOL. You think? ;)

Anyways, the best news about this car is the standard magnetic shocks. Caddy tuned those dampers just right when they came out in the XLR, and they've only gotten better since. Hopefully the next CTS comes out the following year to minimize that period of awkward coexistence that Cadillac's always had a problem with.

I wonder if they'll come out with a coupe version of this, but I'm more curious to see what the next CTS coupe is going to look like when it moves up a size class.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 08, 2012, 08:35:28 PM

How did Hyundai lose credibility?  As I recall, the dynos all indicated that their motors were putting out the peak power they advertised.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Hyundais cars were geared for fuel efficiency, hence the underwhelming acceleration numbers.
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 09, 2012, 05:08:12 PM
How did Hyundai lose credibility?  As I recall, the dynos all indicated that their motors were putting out the peak power they advertised.

I am quite sure my little Accent makes all of its 110 HP. It feels just as quick as my slightly heavier 130 HP Focus, and just as quick as my friend's heavy ass 2.5 Impretza (165 HP?).
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on January 09, 2012, 05:10:00 PM
Hyundais cars were geared for fuel efficiency, hence the underwhelming acceleration numbers.

Mine is far from that. Mine has the optional rally-car gearing.

CJ

I fail to see how that has any effect on their credibility.  They catered the vehicle to what the buying public wants and demands.  If you can have a powerful car that also gets good gas mileage, then why not build it?  Those cars have plenty of punch in the mid-range.  They feel really quick.

Eye of the Tiger

I would like to test drive a new Veloster, but I'm afraid I'd buy it if I did.

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2012, 09:37:01 AM
This.  No emotional response to it at all.

I much prefer the Verano.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2012, 09:37:01 AM

Try punching yourself in the face a few times, then take a look at the picture.

Worked for me.....

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hounddog on January 09, 2012, 07:32:09 PM
This.  No emotional response to it at all.

I much prefer the Verano.

The verano, ya I feel something when I look at that.

Anger, and disappointment. Another GM-European rebadge/rebrand attempt that fails to do justice to the original cars, the intended market segment or the would be enthusiast owners.