2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2012, 12:50:17 PM

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2012, 11:16:56 PM
I kinda sorta agree that the old car was nicer than what it used to be. But the first generations seem to be SUV versions of the Tacoma/Pickup, which is basically what the Xterra is.

It was also nicer than the competition.

I like this return of the Pathfinder to cross over roots.

Indeed the very first generation was built on the hard body Nissan pickup.

However the 2nd generation was one of the first SUV's to be built on a car like unibody platform, making it one of the first "cross overs" and a real pioneer in the class.  It was a real shame that for the 3rd generation they returned to a body on frame design.

Atomic

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 13, 2012, 12:05:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. What's the point with the Murano around unless this is going to be their LARGE SUV while dumping the XTerra and the Armada.

Juke-->Rogue-->Murano-->Pathfinder

That would not be a bad set up.

Be interested to see how the interior space stacks up against the Explorer, Traverse, Pilot, etc.
with the four nissans listed above, nissan must think it is FMC  :lol:

actually, i see the juke to be in a league of its own

the rogue is relatively inexpensive and a pretty decent vehicle for one person, a couple or small family of 3-4 people

the roomy and nice riding comfortable murano is a crossover-like version of two nissan sedans: the altima and maxima and with both selling well, the murano is just right for the growing family wanting something stylish, like their previous nissan sedan, but with extra seats and cargo space

from the looks of it, the 2013 pathfinder looks more truck-like than the murano for the traditionalists

Lebowski

Quote from: 565 on January 15, 2012, 08:06:00 AM
I like this return of the Pathfinder to cross over roots.

Indeed the very first generation was built on the hard body Nissan pickup.

However the 2nd generation was one of the first SUV's to be built on a car like unibody platform, making it one of the first "cross overs" and a real pioneer in the class.  It was a real shame that for the 3rd generation they returned to a body on frame design.

I really liked that generation of pathfinder. It was one of the most desireable midsized SUVs of all time IMO. It had a good ride and a nice interior (for its time) yet still had the styling of a real SUV.  And it was just the right size.  I don't really like the styling of this new one nearly as well.

The 3rd gen is an abomination, IMO.

68_427

I always liked the third gen, especially when they made the 5.6 V8 optional.  I thought it was a handsome SUV.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

I always liked the 4th gen Pathfinder, but my love for the Xterra always put it in a shadow.

I've always been about the 2nd gen Xterra. It's one of my favorite SUVs.

I'd love to own one of those with a 6MT.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

I've always enjoyed the styling of these SUVs, but I'd rather have something small and car-based.

Yeah I love my 2nd gen Pathfinder.

I miss the tradition of Nissan taking the pathfinder to some exotic location for commercial filming, and airing a series of ads chronicling their adventure.  The first gen went to the Amazon, and the 2nd gen went to Africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrr-3hjVQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxL7ArRuag0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyszj6801YE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0DcZpBtXwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paKP-Vv4SuY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzFSR6EvkM

Rupert

Quote from: S204STi on January 14, 2012, 01:53:43 AM
Uh... no.  I mean, sorta.  But not really.  4Runner was always a nicer vehicle than the Xterra in pretty much every way.  Semi-lux with off-road cred.

Early 4Runners were just basic Toyota pickups with an SUV body. After the mid-90s, they did start to get a bit more lux, but you could still get them with few options. The Explorer was the same way with the XLS model ranging to the Eddie Bauer with V8, leather, etc. The early Pathfinders were the same, but the XTerra was always about on the same level as the lower-end 4Runner and Explorer (in terms of luxury stuff). It's also arguable that the XTerra is better off road than the 4Runner.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2012, 11:16:56 PM
I kinda sorta agree that the old car was nicer than what it used to be. But the first generations seem to be SUV versions of the Tacoma/Pickup, which is basically what the Xterra is.

That's exactly what the early 4Runners were, all the way through the '90s.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Lebowski

Quote from: 68_427 on January 15, 2012, 12:04:00 PM
I always liked the third gen, especially when they made the 5.6 V8 optional.  I thought it was a handsome SUV.

I never liked that one. The proportions are all off.

Catman

I had a 2001 SE. A little cramped inside but a great vehicle.

Atomic

i think people will either adapt to the pathfinder's new look/character and the vehicle will sell like crazy or many might gravitate to chrysler's jeep grand cherokee/grand wagoneer or dodge durango. that god for choices  ;) kudos, chrysler corporation!

sparkplug

True Atomic, especially as the old suv's are getting scare. The new Explorer is basically imho a TaurusX with a few enhancements.
I don't mind if they went to a new design that wasn't body on frame, but did they to turn engine sideways too. They just about neutered it.

hmm.. post 888
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Atomic

Quote from: sparkplug on January 16, 2012, 05:29:42 PM
True Atomic, especially as the old suv's are getting scare. The new Explorer is basically imho a TaurusX with a few enhancements.
I don't mind if they went to a new design that wasn't body on frame, but did they to turn engine sideways too. They just about neutered it.

hmm.. post 888
...and i think the addition of clean diesel models, the soon to be introduced 7-8 seater grand wagoneer and upscale editions like the jeep grand cherokee overland summit giving buyers choice.

Rupert

BoF doesn't make an SUV great; truck other stuff  (suspension, etc.) does. The Cherokee, which was one of the best and most capable SUVs ever was unibody.

sparkplug

Quote from: Rupert on January 16, 2012, 07:22:26 PM
BoF doesn't make an SUV great; truck other stuff  (suspension, etc.) does. The Cherokee, which was one of the best and most capable SUVs ever was unibody.

But FWD is what I don't like. The Body On Frame unibody actually has a lot of advantages - weight, cost, it's cheaper, it's less expensive, and did I mention it's more affordable.

2o6

Quote from: sparkplug on January 16, 2012, 10:13:50 PM
But FWD is what I don't like. The Body On Frame actually has a lot of advantages - weight, cost, it's cheaper, it's less expensive, and did I mention it's more affordable.

It's also less safe, typically has compromised interior dimensions, and has lacking road manners.

sparkplug

Quote from: 2o6 on January 16, 2012, 10:34:07 PM
It's also less safe, typically has compromised interior dimensions, and has lacking road manners.

Fixed. I made a major typo.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on January 16, 2012, 10:34:07 PM
typically has compromised interior dimensions

Nothing to do with the body-on-frame construction.

hounddog

I do not like the new one, too girlified.

Looks like a Lexus.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Lebowski on January 15, 2012, 03:53:33 PM
I never liked that one. The proportions are all off.
And, it looks too much like the Armada. 

Given the choice, I would buy the Armada.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Atomic

Quote from: Rupert on January 16, 2012, 07:22:26 PM
BoF doesn't make an SUV great; truck other stuff  (suspension, etc.) does. The Cherokee, which was one of the best and most capable SUVs ever was unibody.
speaking of the "cherokee" (opposed to newer) "jeep grand cherokee", eh? not certain what jeep has in-store, but rumors of the return of the "cherokee" make me wonder how they will do it. word has it that chrysler-jeep will recreate a vehicle with the originals spirit -- making it as close to the old specs as possible with what manufacturers are able to do with today's safety regulations and quest for decent MPG. this vehicle (if rumors are true) could replace the compass/patriot (one and/or both).

supposing the rumors are true, how would you fellow spinners remake this classic? have fun: what engine? exterior looks? return of the two door? shy's the limit  :lol: 

TurboDan

Quote from: Atomic on January 21, 2012, 09:51:16 AM
speaking of the "cherokee" (opposed to newer) "jeep grand cherokee", eh? not certain what jeep has in-store, but rumors of the return of the "cherokee" make me wonder how they will do it. word has it that chrysler-jeep will recreate a vehicle with the originals spirit -- making it as close to the old specs as possible with what manufacturers are able to do with today's safety regulations and quest for decent MPG. this vehicle (if rumors are true) could replace the compass/patriot (one and/or both).

supposing the rumors are true, how would you fellow spinners remake this classic? have fun: what engine? exterior looks? return of the two door? shy's the limit  :lol: 

Return of the two door. Diesel engine.

Rupert

Quote from: Atomic on January 21, 2012, 09:51:16 AM

You're describing a Wrangler four-door...

Cherokee was, IMO, about Wrangler capability with a traditional SUV body.

Atomic

Quote from: Rupert on January 21, 2012, 01:21:59 PM
You're describing a Wrangler four-door...

Cherokee was, IMO, about Wrangler capability with a traditional SUV body.
i could see both being sold side-by-side in the jeep showroom, in fact the traditional two door wrangler and cherokee were sold the same years. well, everything and the wrangler for that matter. lol. i see the wrangler unlimited being raw and the cherokee fairly refined in its day. i think they would sell to a very different buyer.

Rupert

Was there a longer Wrangler sold at the same time as the Cherokee?

Ne one would buy a Cherokee like the old SRA/SFA rig now, because it drives like a longer Wrangler, and there is already an actual longer Wrangler.

ifcar

If they could have something that's between the Liberty and the Wrangler in capability, they'd have plenty of room to undercut the price of the Wrangler Unlimited. Those things are ridiculously expensive.

Rupert

Is the Liberty not capable? The first-gens were known to be better than average.

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on January 21, 2012, 06:33:44 PM
Is the Liberty not capable? The first-gens were known to be better than average.

I don't know much about off-roading, but even the boxy current Liberty doesn't seem have a following that approaches the Cherokee's. Surely there's some middle ground that stops short of the Wrangler, especially now that Jeep has all-out crossovers.