UPDATE: 2-0 on tickets

Started by GoCougs, January 10, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on January 11, 2012, 08:17:11 PM

Standing; you said it.

Standing
noun

A party?s legal right to challenge the conduct of another party in a legal proceeding.

This one was mysteriously dismissed in such a way that your lawyer will not even tell you about it, you have yet another, and if you intend to challenge on standing, you should be doing some research right about now. ;)

I meant "standing" in a colloquial sense, and was an answer to someone's questioning of why I think it ridiculous for a city LE to patrol interstate HOV lanes. They have no business doing such a thing even if the law says they can; the only reason to do so is revenue generation.

Uh, I challenge on nothing - I hire the experts and let them win for me.  :huh:

Onslaught

Sounds like you shouldn't had got away with it. You're in the wrong.

dazzleman

Quote from: Onslaught on January 11, 2012, 08:31:55 PM

That's completely clear.

But he spent a lot more on lawyers than hea.d have paid in fines.  It's all pretty comical.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2012, 08:30:31 PM
I meant "standing" in a colloquial sense, and was an answer to someone's questioning of why I think it ridiculous for a city LE to patrol interstate HOV lanes. They have no business doing such a thing even if the law says they can; the only reason to do so is revenue generation.
Standing = authority = business 

But, still, fair enough. 

QuoteUh, I challenge on nothing - I hire the experts and let them win for me.  :huh:
ok
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on January 11, 2012, 08:31:55 PM

I will defend myself against any and all BS no matter the cost...

"Deservin's got nothin' to do with it."

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2012, 08:47:53 PM
I will defend myself against any and all BS no matter the cost...

"Deservin's got nothin' to do with it."
How can you defend yourself when you're in the wrong? If you don't like the rules then you're SOL. The world doesn't revolve around Cougs. Not even your ego has that much of a gravitational pull.

CALL_911

Speeding? Did you race the officer's car to prove to him that the Accord V6 is t3h pwn?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

bing_oh

Quote from: Onslaught on January 11, 2012, 09:19:53 PMHow can you defend yourself when you're in the wrong? If you don't like the rules then you're SOL. The world doesn't revolve around Cougs. Not even your ego has that much of a gravitational pull.

Dunno...it's an awfully big ego.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2012, 08:30:31 PMI meant "standing" in a colloquial sense, and was an answer to someone's questioning of why I think it ridiculous for a city LE to patrol interstate HOV lanes. They have no business doing such a thing even if the law says they can; the only reason to do so is revenue generation.

They have every right...or "business," if you prefer...enforcing the law within their jurisdiction. Doesn't matter if you don't happen to like that particular law.

Oh, and even though we've gone over this ad nauseum in the past, tickets don't really collect revenue for most cities. The vast majority of the ticket cost goes to the state and the court, not the PD. The miniscule amount they do make doesn't even come close to paying for the officer's gas to do enforcement, let alone his salary.

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on January 11, 2012, 09:19:53 PM
How can you defend yourself when you're in the wrong? If you don't like the rules then you're SOL. The world doesn't revolve around Cougs. Not even your ego has that much of a gravitational pull.

Is that a trick question? Ego has nothing to do with it. If I don't like the rules I break them and then try to get out of the consequences.

No, the world doesn't revolve around me but I'll be goddamned if I'll just sit there and let its BS go unchallenged.

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 11, 2012, 09:27:15 PM
Speeding? Did you race the officer's car to prove to him that the Accord V6 is t3h pwn?

Said Accord is quicker tmost anything local LE drives (Crown Vics, Impalas, Tahoes), so it was not necessary.

GoCougs

Quote from: bing_oh on January 12, 2012, 06:27:34 AM
They have every right...or "business," if you prefer...enforcing the law within their jurisdiction. Doesn't matter if you don't happen to like that particular law.

Oh, and even though we've gone over this ad nauseum in the past, tickets don't really collect revenue for most cities. The vast majority of the ticket cost goes to the state and the court, not the PD. The miniscule amount they do make doesn't even come close to paying for the officer's gas to do enforcement, let alone his salary.

I fully believe that in most cases tickets are not revenue generators. I've said as much many many times here. This case unfortunately is not one of them. City has no business on the interstate HOV. At best said LEO was simply bored (that particular city is a very expensive zip code and has very little crime).

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 07:16:06 AM
Is that a trick question? Ego has nothing to do with it. If I don't like the rules I break them and then try to get out of the consequences.

No, the world doesn't revolve around me but I'll be goddamned if I'll just sit there and let its BS go unchallenged.

Well, it's certainly your choice, but paying $850 to contest a $95 dollar ticket is pretty stupid, IMHO.   :nutty:

Not that I even believe you.   :rolleyes:

Tave

Does her bill include a breakdown of court fees?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on January 12, 2012, 07:29:40 AM
Does her bill include a breakdown of court fees?

Haven't seen it yet. She said she just mailed it along with the official court documents.

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 12, 2012, 07:26:42 AM
Well, it's certainly your choice, but paying $850 to contest a $95 dollar ticket is pretty stupid, IMHO.   :nutty:

Not that I even believe you.   :rolleyes:

Not stupid - prudent. Rack up enough tickets in a certain period and you end up with an SR-22 filing in my state, which means a 2-4x insurance price increase.

Nah, I gotcha, if I were in your shoes I'd want to resist believing me too.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 07:19:58 AMI fully believe that in most cases tickets are not revenue generators. I've said as much many many times here. This case unfortunately is not one of them. City has no business on the interstate HOV. At best said LEO was simply bored (that particular city is a very expensive zip code and has very little crime).

Again, your not liking a particular law doesn't mean that the local jurisdiction "has no business" enforcing it. Just be honest, come out and say that you got busted, and you're miffed about it.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 09:24:22 AMNot stupid - prudent. Rack up enough tickets in a certain period and you end up with an SR-22 filing in my state, which means a 2-4x insurance price increase.

Nah, I gotcha, if I were in your shoes I'd want to resist believing me too.

If you honestly paid $850 to get out of a HOV ticket, I'd have to agree with John that you definitely lost. That's more than most DUI's in my area!

GoCougs

Quote from: bing_oh on January 12, 2012, 09:27:27 AM
Again, your not liking a particular law doesn't mean that the local jurisdiction "has no business" enforcing it. Just be honest, come out and say that you got busted, and you're miffed about it.

City police should have better things to do than patrol interstate HOV lanes. If they don't have better things to do, fire them, as said city has too many LEOs.

Of course I got busted. I'm don't think I'm miffed though. I will simply fight what I consider a broken system (traffic enforcement), and so far so good.

GoCougs

Quote from: bing_oh on January 12, 2012, 09:29:36 AM
If you honestly paid $850 to get out of a HOV ticket, I'd have to agree with John that you definitely lost. That's more than most DUI's in my area!

The HOV ticket was $350. The speeding ticket, which happened way over on the other side of the state, is $850.

That a DUI charge is less than $850 is proof positive that the (your) system is broken. LOL - you turkeys drone on with  :facepalm:  bitterness of me getting out of an HOV ticket while true traffic atrocities, like the pansy approach to DUI (i.e., lax consequences, which I know is not a LE area), drones on unabated. Nothing proves my point further.

I drive how I want when I want with little worry than any sort of traffic infraction will stick; I drive mostly absent the fear of the state. Sounds like win to me.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 09:53:47 AM
The HOV ticket was $350. The speeding ticket, which happened way over on the other side of the state, is $850.

That a DUI charge is less than $850 is proof positive that the (your) system is broken. LOL - you turkeys drone on with  :facepalm:  bitterness of me getting out of an HOV ticket while true traffic atrocities, like the pansy approach to DUI (i.e., lax consequences, which I know is not a LE area), drones on unabated. Nothing proves my point further.

I drive how I want when I want with little worry than any sort of traffic infraction will stick; I drive mostly absent the fear of the state. Sounds like win to me.
Absent of fear?  Absent of cash more like.

hounddog

Quote from: bing_oh on January 12, 2012, 06:27:34 AM

I honestly do not think Cougs fully comprehends standing, Bing.  Not his fault, however, as most people do not.

How many times have I said it;  KNOW your rights not THINK you know your rights.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

2o6

OTOH, I would love to be his lawyer. Steady work for doing pretty much nothing at all.

bing_oh

Quote from: 2o6 on January 12, 2012, 11:27:10 AMOTOH, I would love to be his lawyer. Steady work for doing pretty much nothing at all.

Geeze, you ain't kidding. That kind of cash to get people off of traffic tickets?! It's no wonder this country is overrun with lawyers.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 09:53:47 AMThe HOV ticket was $350. The speeding ticket, which happened way over on the other side of the state, is $850.

That's $1200 to fight and "win" what would have costed you, what, $200 in fines? I could think of alot better ways to spend that extra grand, but you must be better paid than I am.

QuoteThat a DUI charge is less than $850 is proof positive that the (your) system is broken. LOL - you turkeys drone on with  :facepalm:  bitterness of me getting out of an HOV ticket while true traffic atrocities, like the pansy approach to DUI (i.e., lax consequences, which I know is not a LE area), drones on unabated. Nothing proves my point further.

I didn't know it was "my system." :huh:

There's no bitterness about you "getting out of" (:rolleyes:) your ticket. It's more utter disbelief that you think you're getting away with something by paying outrageous amounts of money to get minor traffic citations dismissed. You somehow think you're walking away without consequences, while you're actually being punished even more severely than other people facing the same violations...all of your own volition.

As for the minor consequences for DUI's in my area, I agree...but that's my fine elected judge, not local LE. But that doesn't prove your point at all.

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 09:53:47 AM
you turkeys
Have you spoken to anyone younger than 40 in the last, say, 15 years?

:huh:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on January 12, 2012, 11:27:10 AM
OTOH, I would love to be his lawyer. Steady work for doing pretty much nothing at all.

Did you re-enroll?

GoCougs

GoCougs

Quote from: bing_oh on January 12, 2012, 11:44:41 AM
That's $1200 to fight and "win" what would have costed you, what, $200 in fines? I could think of alot better ways to spend that extra grand, but you must be better paid than I am.

I didn't know it was "my system." :huh:

There's no bitterness about you "getting out of" (:rolleyes:) your ticket. It's more utter disbelief that you think you're getting away with something by paying outrageous amounts of money to get minor traffic citations dismissed. You somehow think you're walking away without consequences, while you're actually being punished even more severely than other people facing the same violations...all of your own volition.

As for the minor consequences for DUI's in my area, I agree...but that's my fine elected judge, not local LE. But that doesn't prove your point at all.

I win.

SVT666