UPDATE: 2-0 on tickets

Started by GoCougs, January 10, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

Northlands

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2012, 07:55:58 PM
The LEO got the car in front of me when he was traveling head on. When I pointed out that it was impossible to have got me on radar he said he paced me behind the car he actually did get on radar. I asked how it was possible to pace me when coming head on, and he said he saw me behind the car. Then there was awkward "damn, I just go had" sort of moment, and said that's what he'll tell the court. He also marked "SMD" (speed measurement device) on the ticket which was false/lie (there is also the "pace" option). The traffic attorney said 99% chance he'll get it dismissed; not only on the merits of the case but that that particular court he says is "not up to snuff."

If he really lied, and said he was going to lie, that's a crime. Somehow I doubt that's exactly how it went down, because nobody is that stupid.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on January 11, 2012, 08:36:09 PM
That's completely clear.

But he spent a lot more on lawyers than hea.d have paid in fines.  It's all pretty comical.

Maybe, maybe not. The HOV violation coupled with the speeding ticket could've added up to insurance and DMV surcharges that were more than the attorney's fees. Often, at least in New Jersey, the fine is less than all of the DMV surcharges and fees that are attached to tickets - and that's not even counting higher insurance rates.

2o6

CALL_911

Ha, ha! Cougs, your internetry is really going down the drain these days.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 09:44:09 AM
City police should have better things to do than patrol interstate HOV lanes. If they don't have better things to do, fire them, as said city has too many LEOs.

Of course I got busted. I'm don't think I'm miffed though. I will simply fight what I consider a broken system (traffic enforcement), and so far so good.

Did you ever think about e-mailing the chief of the department, or maybe the traffic safety supervisor, and asking him why? You'd really be surprised how often there's a very good explanation for most of this stuff, and you'd be equally surprised how many folks in law enforcement would be perfectly willing to tell you if you took the time and didn't start in with a chip on your shoulder.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2012, 03:44:34 PM

Not owning up to ones wrongdoing is a total beta move.

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on January 12, 2012, 03:40:16 PM
If he really lied, and said he was going to lie, that's a crime. Somehow I doubt that's exactly how it went down, because nobody is that stupid.

Yes, that's precisely how it went down. I'm not sure if I'd be certain in calling it a lie - perhaps "pacing" a car based a radar measurement of another is a theoretically valid "SMD" infraction, what with official definitions of each, which I don't readily have access to.

I couldn't care less if it's a crime, and not only because it would be impossible to prove. The sin of a lie is carried by the liar.

GoCougs

GoCougs

Really? I thought it was actually decent; look at its effect after all. 

But I do find it interesting the spite and rancor over an HOV ticket. Had this been a speeding ticket would people be all up in arms? NO.

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on January 12, 2012, 03:48:32 PM
Did you ever think about e-mailing the chief of the department, or maybe the traffic safety supervisor, and asking him why? You'd really be surprised how often there's a very good explanation for most of this stuff, and you'd be equally surprised how many folks in law enforcement would be perfectly willing to tell you if you took the time and didn't start in with a chip on your shoulder.

I didn't.

There is no good explanation for the HOV lane itself, let alone the patrolling it.

I couldn't care less what LE has to say on matters of immaterial traffic enforcement.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 05:07:21 PM
Really? I thought it was actually decent; look at its effect after all.  

But I do find it interesting the spite and rancor over an HOV ticket. Had this been a speeding ticket would people be all up in arms? NO.

I mean, I guess. Your execution is way too conspicuous though. You used to be more subtle. I'd give this one a solid "meh."

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 05:05:11 PM
Uh, college (if you really want to be my lawyer).

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 09:53:47 AM
The HOV ticket was $350. The speeding ticket, which happened way over on the other side of the state, is $850.

That a DUI charge is less than $850 is proof positive that the (your) system is broken. LOL - you turkeys drone on with  :facepalm:  bitterness of me getting out of an HOV ticket while true traffic atrocities, like the pansy approach to DUI (i.e., lax consequences, which I know is not a LE area), drones on unabated. Nothing proves my point further.

I drive how I want when I want with little worry than any sort of traffic infraction will stick; I drive mostly absent the fear of the state. Sounds like win to me.

Sounds like you're a spoiled fool with an inflated ego to me, but, hey, that's just my opinion.    :huh:

Byteme

Quote from: bing_oh on January 12, 2012, 11:44:41 AM
That's $1200 to fight and "win" what would have costed you, what, $200 in fines? I could think of alot better ways to spend that extra grand, but you must be better paid than I am.

I didn't know it was "my system." :huh:

There's no bitterness about you "getting out of" (:rolleyes:) your ticket. It's more utter disbelief that you think you're getting away with something by paying outrageous amounts of money to get minor traffic citations dismissed. You somehow think you're walking away without consequences, while you're actually being punished even more severely than other people facing the same violations...all of your own volition.

As for the minor consequences for DUI's in my area, I agree...but that's my fine elected judge, not local LE. But that doesn't prove your point at all.

I don't know about Washington but here I'd pay about $150 court costs and 35 dollars for a defensive driving course and walk away with a clean record.  Get a second ticket within a year?  Ask for and get deferred ajudication; pay court costs and don't get a ticket for 90 days and the ticket disappears. 

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 12, 2012, 07:01:13 PM
Sounds like you're a spoiled fool with an inflated ego to me, buy, hey, that's just my opinion.    :huh:

Who spoils me?

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 12, 2012, 07:05:26 PM
I don't know about Washington but here I'd pay about $150 court costs and 35 dollars for a defensive driving course and walk away with a clean record.  Get a second ticket within a year?  Ask for and get deferred ajudication; pay court costs and don't get a ticket for 90 days and the ticket disappears. 

None of those options exist in WA state. At best some courts offered deferred prosecution. Plead no contest, pay $100 court costs, and don't get a ticket within a year. If you do get ticket within a year, you also have to pay the original ticket. One can defer only once in 3, 5 or 7 years (or some such).

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2012, 05:25:01 PM
I mean, I guess. Your execution is way too conspicuous though. You used to be more subtle. I'd give this one a solid "meh."

Back to the drawing board.

I will note however the facts I've stated in this thread are true.

Northlands

This really has been one of the funnier threads I've read here in a while.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 07:13:16 PM
Back to the drawing board.

I will note however the facts I've stated in this thread are true.

Not gonna lie, you're one of my favorite posters here, but your quality has gone down in the past month or so. This shit and the "alpha vs. beta" thing are just way too conspicuous. Remember, walk amongst the crowd and fart, don't create a circle around yourself and fart.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: Northlands on January 12, 2012, 07:21:53 PM
This really has been one of the funnier threads I've read here in a while.  :lol:

This is a pretty funny thread.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Delusions of righteousness and frank discussions of trolling. Hard to beat.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2012, 07:24:20 PM
Not gonna lie, you're one of my favorite posters here, but your quality has gone down in the past month or so. This shit and the "alpha vs. beta" thing are just way too conspicuous. Remember, walk amongst the crowd and fart, don't create a circle around yourself and fart.

Yeah, I really rode that one hard and per it away wet - BetaSPIN is still spinning off into the weeds...

AutobahnSHO

Will

dazzleman

I can't wait to see what happens with Cougs' speeding ticket.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

That court date is 2/1. Like the other attorney he too changed the court date. Perhaps that's part and parcel of the strategy...

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 08:41:44 PM
That court date is 2/1. Like the other attorney he too changed the court date. Perhaps that's part and parcel of the strategy...

Of course it is.  That increases the chances that the officer won't be there, resulting in an automatic dismissal.

GoCougs

The LEO doesn't have to be there; he need only file an affidavit with the court.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2012, 08:50:51 PM
The LEO doesn't have to be there; he need only file an affidavit with the court.

I guess it's different in Washington.

In any case, I hope you get CONVICTED on the speeding charge and fined $1,000 on top of the hefty lawyer's fees..... :lol: