UPDATE: 2-0 on tickets

Started by GoCougs, January 10, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 16, 2012, 06:18:15 PM
:facepalm:

The officer pulled you over after spotting you in the HOV lane and it was most likely recorded. What would be better proof than that?

If they can't prove that, I don't trust them to make any judgement on murder cases.

LOL - then where is this supposed recording? (He was on a bike FWIW.) For the 5th time, you guys should rue the day the surveillance state gets to that point...

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 16, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
LOL - then where is this supposed recording? (He was on a bike FWIW.) For the 5th time, you guys should rue the day the surveillance state gets to that point...

We appreciate the fact that you've struck a blow for freedom..... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 16, 2012, 06:20:14 PM
Cougs, you're just not being honest here.  You broke the law many times, got busted, were guilty as hell, but manipulated a weak and corrupt system (at a very high cost) to drop the charge.

Now you're trying to make it into some type of moral crusade.  It isn't.  You tried to weasel and buy your way out of a ticket and you succeeded, at a high cost.  But that doesn't make you some type of freedom fighter.

I'm being very honest, brutally honest. The system is there for both sides to use, and this time, I won; it is neither weak nor corrupt.

I'm not on any sort of moral crusade - I'm in it for myself. However, I will say, if more did what I did, you'd probably see a shift of the LE from non-material traffic enforcement.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 16, 2012, 07:03:36 PM
I'm being very honest, brutally honest. The system is there for both sides to use, and this time, I won.

I'm not on any sort of moral crusade - I'm in it for myself. However, I will say, if more did what I did, you'd probably see a shift of the LE from non-material traffic enforcement.

I don't totally disagree with you.  I just find the whole thing kind of humorous.  I look forward to hearing about the next ticket that you have on deck.  I wish you were going to appear in court.  That makes for an even better story.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on January 16, 2012, 06:57:30 PM

It already is to that point, with police dash cameras. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

SVT666

Quote from: dazzleman on January 16, 2012, 07:05:26 PM
I don't totally disagree with you.  I just find the whole thing kind of humorous.  I look forward to hearing about the next ticket that you have on deck.  I wish you were going to appear in court.  That makes for an even better story.
If he had to appear in court, the next time we would hear from him is in 7 days.

GoCougs

Just got notice today from HR that from here forward all offers will be contingent on a number of things (drug test, criminal check) including a DMV check of one's driving record. They call this the "onboarding process." I'm really tempted to quip about WTF does a driving record have to do with anything but so far I have resisted, and I'm 60% confident I can maintain that. Oh, so yeah, protecting one's driving record ain't just nothin.'

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 31, 2012, 07:10:45 PM
Just got notice today from HR that from here forward all offers will be contingent on a number of things (drug test, criminal check) including a DMV check of one's driving record. They call this the "onboarding process." I'm really tempted to quip about WTF does a driving record have to do with anything but so far I have resisted, and I'm 60% confident I can maintain that. Oh, so yeah, protecting one's driving record ain't just nothin.'

They're probably looking for things like DUI.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2012, 07:37:17 PM

That would come up in the criminal check (in my state DUI is a crime not a traffic infraction). They specifically delineated between criminal record and DMV record. AFAIK no one at the company has a company-issued car, but could be wrong. I just fired off that question, plus others (do they also do a credit check).

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2012, 07:37:17 PM

I'd guess that and a general trend of reckless behaviour and/or disregard for rules and regulations. 

GoCougs

Got my answers back from HR. Turns out they DO issue cars to the field sales reps, and the DMV check would ONLY apply to those positions.

So BFF MiataJohn, you'll just have to suffer my continued winning in buying my way out of the punishment for "reckless behavior and/or disregard for rules and regulations."

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2012, 07:09:22 PM
Got my answers back from HR. Turns out they DO issue cars to the field sales reps, and the DMV check would ONLY apply to those positions.

So BFF MiataJohn, you'll just have to suffer my continued winning in buying my way out of the punishment for "reckless behavior and/or disregard for rules and regulations."

MiataJohn has gotten his share of tickets over the years.

When is the court date for your next ticket?

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2012, 07:09:22 PM

So since the background check doesn't apply to you, you'll continue to buy your way out of tickets to avoid the background check...that doesn't apply to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on February 01, 2012, 07:26:24 PM
So since the background check doesn't apply to you, you'll continue to buy your way out of tickets to avoid the background check...that doesn't apply to you?

Tave, what's going on with your Internetry? You've been trying for these wins lately and it's not gone well. 

Background check is a criminal check. Traffic citations are not a criminal. Background check happens whether there is "background" to be discovered or not. Ergo, "loss."

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2012, 07:30:52 PM
Tave, what's going on with your Internetry? You've been trying for these wins lately and it's not gone well. 

Background check is a criminal check. Traffic citations are not a criminal. Background check happens whether there is "background" to be discovered or not. Ergo, "loss."

So since the DMV check doesn't apply to you, you'll continue to buy your way out of tickets to avoid the DMV check...that doesn't apply to you?

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2012, 07:26:37 PM
2/8. Can't wait!
:lol:
It's not as if the stakes are very high.  You can have some fun with it.

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on February 01, 2012, 07:32:05 PM
So since the DMV check doesn't apply to you, you'll continue to buy your way out of tickets to avoid the DMV check...that doesn't apply to you?

$500 in legal fees for a $100 ticket -- sounds like a win to me.... :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on February 01, 2012, 07:10:59 PM
MiataJohn has gotten his share of tickets over the years.

But none for speeding for quite a while.  It all boils down to knowing when you can and can't get away with it. 

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on February 01, 2012, 07:38:36 PM
$500 in legal fees for a $100 ticket -- sounds like a win to me.... :lol:

That's $850 for this one - over on the other side of the state...

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on February 01, 2012, 07:32:05 PM

Duh, of course l - lots of other entities check DMV records, such as a judge during a citation hearing or a jury should I ever find myself on the receiving end of a civil suit owing to a traffic accident.

Tave

Generally speaking evidence of a prior bad act is not admissible to prove that a person acted in conformity with that act. There are some exceptions to that rule, but if your lawyer is doing his job, evidence of your driving record shouldn't get to the jury.

My guess is the judge would have a record of your previous dismissals, but maybe not.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on February 02, 2012, 01:18:40 PM
Generally speaking evidence of a prior bad act is not admissible to prove that a person acted in conformity with that act. There are some exceptions to that rule, but if your lawyer is doing his job, evidence of your driving record shouldn't get to the jury.

Civil trial.

dazzleman

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 02, 2012, 06:35:16 AM
But none for speeding for quite a while.  It all boils down to knowing when you can and can't get away with it. 

I have the same problem.  We need to step up our game.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 02, 2012, 12:46:24 PM
That's $850 for this one - over on the other side of the state...

Even better.

I hope you're continuing to speed.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on February 02, 2012, 07:27:49 PM
Even better.

I hope you're continuing to speed.

Not so much anymore. Since the first of the year my commute is now on a two-lane country road whereby I mostly get stuck behind a POS bus or some other leviathan that refuses to do the speed limit.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on February 02, 2012, 07:24:42 PM
Civil trial.

I know. The Rules of Evidence apply to both criminal and civil trials. :ohyeah:

dazzleman

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

bing_oh

Quote from: Rupert on February 18, 2012, 01:13:08 PMHa, he probably lost.

That's what I was thinking. He would have been back on here bragging about beating the system again as soon as he got home from court if he had won. I'm thinking he got the fine + court costs + the price of his expensive lawyer.