UPDATE: 2-0 on tickets

Started by GoCougs, January 10, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 24, 2012, 08:32:46 AM
Unless we were all complaining and complaining about taxes- and the taxmoney that is spent on our court system and policeforce...

But he's calling it winSPIN even if he has to pay a full fine and court costs.  That makes him a cash cow for the government.  It seems to me that his instinct to man up and refuse to admit that the penalty hurts wins out over anti-tax bitching.  That scores points with me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

AutobahnSHO

If he has to pay the full fine PLUS his lawyer's fees, Sweet!  But he was saying "win" because he's "clogging up the courts".
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 24, 2012, 10:59:18 AM
If he has to pay the full fine PLUS his lawyer's fees, Sweet!  But he was saying "win" because he's "clogging up the courts".

Haha, that's a fig leaf of bravado to cover what would be a real thrashing.  Not to be taken seriously, IMO.

BTW, I thought of Cougs on the way home from the airport tonight.  The road I was driving on had an HOV lane for a while.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 24, 2012, 05:49:55 AM
One on level it's fun and funny. However, given his "taxes are immoral" attitude, it's totally douchey.

It's just the Innerrnnetts.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 24, 2012, 05:33:37 PM
It's just the Innerrnnetts.

:lol:
You sound like a real country boy now, Cougs.  I can hear (in my head) some of my dad's family using that term.

GoCougs

Had my court date yesterday. The attorney had twice delayed the date to work the speed measurement device angle. He said he was successful yet the court would only allow a non-moving violation in its place - switched to a $250 infraction for no registration.

Though I'm 2-0, it's just a ridiculous system. It shocks me that WtP tolerate it. Imagine all the time and money poured into the state's dealing with infractions and yet the profound errors still exist (see Morris Minor's thread of the girl receiving a $50 ticket after killing someone because of DWT).

2o6

GoCougs

WinSPIN personified IRL.

Interesting, as this second ticket was beatable on the merits of the instance and the HOV ticket (which got tossed wholesale) the exact opposite. The system is ridiculous, but it's not a system I built but it is a system I will work within for my own self interest.

Not too bad an idea as since I bought the G (which itself has ~30% higher insurance than the Accord).

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on April 12, 2012, 12:32:11 PMHad my court date yesterday. The attorney had twice delayed the date to work the speed measurement device angle. He said he was successful yet the court would only allow a non-moving violation in its place - switched to a $250 infraction for no registration.

Though I'm 2-0, it's just a ridiculous system. It shocks me that WtP tolerate it. Imagine all the time and money poured into the state's dealing with infractions and yet the profound errors still exist (see Morris Minor's thread of the girl receiving a $50 ticket after killing someone because of DWT).

Quote from: GoCougs on April 12, 2012, 12:44:00 PMWinSPIN personified IRL.

Interesting, as this second ticket was beatable on the merits of the instance and the HOV ticket (which got tossed wholesale) the exact opposite. The system is ridiculous, but it's not a system I built but it is a system I will work within for my own self interest.

Not too bad an idea as since I bought the G (which itself has ~30% higher insurance than the Accord).

If your lawyer was "successful" and the ticket was "beatable on the merits of the instance," then why did you pay $250 + court costs + lawyer fees? :rolleyes: You lost, dude...even more than you would have if you had just paid the fine, as I'm sure the cost of the lawyer added significant expense. Call it a "win" all you want. Even with the attemped delaying tactics (which is what your "uber-lawyer" was trying by delaying "to work the speed measurement device angle"), you still couldn't weasel out of this one.

GoCougs

I wasn't there so I don't know how things went down. My point was, LEO #1 didn't lie when issuing me the HOV citation but LEO #2 did lie (or in the least was not too smart + devious) when issuing me the speeding citation.

True I couldn't weasel out of a citation but I beat a lousy system for my own purposes (-> non-moving violation, which is now fairly important now that I drive a vehicle with a "high performance" surcharge), called out a devious LEO, and WinSPIN'd myself.

TurboDan

Quote from: bing_oh on April 12, 2012, 02:48:00 PM
If your lawyer was "successful" and the ticket was "beatable on the merits of the instance," then why did you pay $250 + court costs + lawyer fees? :rolleyes: You lost, dude...even more than you would have if you had just paid the fine, as I'm sure the cost of the lawyer added significant expense. Call it a "win" all you want. Even with the attemped delaying tactics (which is what your "uber-lawyer" was trying by delaying "to work the speed measurement device angle"), you still couldn't weasel out of this one.

Depending on the effect the tickets could've had on his insurance rates, he may have come out ahead.

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on February 19, 2012, 03:57:15 AM
I love the attitude..... :lol:
Except, it is total and utter bullshit.

I will leave Cougs to figure out why it is bullshit, mostly because he does not know....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on February 19, 2012, 10:11:17 AM
Good. Clog the works. Starve the beast. Perhaps the system will catch a clue and get to the business of rational and logical traffic enforcement. Until then? It's Selfish Town.
Narcissitic thinking at best, moronic diatribe at worst.

Do you really think the court will;

a) care that your little traffic situation is delayed out of the tens of thousands they see?
b) miss the $150-200 from your pockets for a couple weeks?

Dude, stop looking in the mirror so much.  ;)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on April 12, 2012, 04:02:20 PM
WinSPIN'd myself.

How much did you enrich the lawyer????

I've only been to court one time- pled not guilty, only because I was late for showing up (rushed my AP english test, still got a 4. They might have just dismissed it that day.)

So I showed up for the court date and prosecutor took me aside to discuss it, then calls in cop to discuss it, told them I hadn't run the stop sign, had 3 friends in the car who were all going to testify to the same. They pow-wowed a minute then told me to drive more safely. Friends were disappointed they couldn't actually go into the courtroom with me....

Me= no lawyer fees. No fine. No ticket.
Will

dazzleman

How much did this whole episode with these two tickets cost you Joe, all in?  About $1,000?

I consider the outcome of any ticket a win, as long as you enjoyed what you did to get it.

Now you need to start working on the next one, man...... :evildude:

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on April 12, 2012, 05:35:45 PM
Except, it is total and utter bullshit.

I will leave Cougs to figure out why it is bullshit, mostly because he does not know....

I admire Cougs' attitude a lot more than the people who moan and cry like little bitches when they get nailed.  He tried to knock down his punishment, but in the end, calling it WinSPIN means he's taking it like a man.

GoCougs

Yeah, guys, it's just the InnerWinSPINs...

All total was ~$1,300 for both tickets.

Yes, now that I'm 2-0 it's back to business; reality is I've been doing my "business" all along but owing to my new commute I rarely get the opportunity to drive "prudently and safely."

J86

so long as you keep payin your lawyer s'all good...

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 12, 2012, 06:09:39 PM
Yeah, guys, it's just the InnerWinSPINs...

All total was ~$1,300 for both tickets.

Yes, now that I'm 2-0 it's back to business; reality is I've been doing my "business" all along but owing to my new commute I rarely get the opportunity to drive "prudently and safely."

Dude, you did get hosed for a lot of money.  I admire the fact that you're taking it so well.  When you were in the frat, did you have to do that "thank you sir, may I have another?" hazing ritual?  I imagine you were pretty good at it.... :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on April 12, 2012, 06:48:28 PM
Dude, you did get hosed for a lot of money.  I admire the fact that you're taking it so well.  When you were in the frat, did you have to do that "thank you sir, may I have another?" hazing ritual?  I imagine you were pretty good at it.... :lol:

:rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on April 12, 2012, 05:59:14 PM
I admire Cougs' attitude a lot more than the people who moan and cry like little bitches when they get nailed.  He tried to knock down his punishment, but in the end, calling it WinSPIN means he's taking it like a man.

I would tend to agree, Dave, were it not for it being untrue.

Even in the unlikely event it is true, losing ≠ winning when you pay more for an anti-culpae poena par esto plea bargain which actually favors the state.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on April 13, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

Even in the unlikely event it is true, losing ≠ winning when you pay more for an anti-culpae poena par esto plea bargain which actually favors the state.

Never mind all of that.  I'm just hoping he gets another ticket soon..... :devil:

Not sure what you're saying is untrue, though.  Cougs is claiming a win rather than complaining.  I'd rather a person who does that than a whiny bitch.  That's all I'm saying.  Whether it's an actual 'win' or not is totally subjective, depending on how much enjoyment Cougs got from his speeding and HOV lane defiance.  Very often, people will deem penalties to be worth it because of their enjoyment of the infractions they've committed.

ifcar

Quote from: hounddog on April 13, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

:clap:

dazzleman

ifcar

That it's in some way admirable to pay more for a ticket than its original amount after trying unsuccessfully to game the system. What we have here is "denial," not "win."

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on April 14, 2012, 07:39:08 AM
That it's in some way admirable to pay more for a ticket than its original amount after trying unsuccessfully to game the system. What we have here is "denial," not "win."

Sometimes the two are synonomous.  And denial serves a purpose.

I didn't say it was an actual win.  I just said I'd rather a person who calls it that, as opposed to playing victim.

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on April 14, 2012, 07:39:08 AM

Nah, which I think you know; hounddog is saying that I didn't get the two traffic citations dropped and otherwise the whole of the situation isn't true. Suffice it to say he's still vested in the system for various reasons (which is kinda disturbing, but not surprising).

Between the higher premiums (now sorta big deal with the new car) and other issues like having problems renting cars (which I do/did a lot of) there was material benefit to beating these two citations. Beating a broken system (and knowing I probably will in the future) has mega WinSPIN benefits too.

Some people will always stand up for themselves; most won't. Which do you want to be? Take it from me - you can WinSPIN too. It's not that hard really, if you can afford it. Until then, stay turned for my next WinSPIN event (or maybe yours?).

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 10:24:51 AM
Nah, which I think you know; hounddog is saying that I didn't get the two traffic citations dropped and otherwise the whole of the situation isn't true. Suffice it to say he's still vested in the system for various reasons (which is kinda disturbing, but not surprising).

Between the higher premiums (now sorta big deal with the new car) and other issues like having problems renting cars (which I do/did a lot of) there was material benefit to beating these two citations. Beating a broken system (and knowing I probably will in the future) has mega WinSPIN benefits too.

Some people will always stand up for themselves; most won't. Which do you want to be? Take it from me - you can WinSPIN too. It's not that hard really, if you can afford it. Until then, stay turned for my next WinSPIN event (or maybe yours?).

Ifcar doesn't need to WinSPIN, at least when it comes to traffic citations, since he never drives over 30 mph..... :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 10:24:51 AM

To be fair Cougs, it's pretty clear you deserved both tickets, and should have paid a fine and had them held against your driving record.  You basically spent more money to keep your driving record cleaner.  Who ever said justice is not for sale?

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on April 12, 2012, 06:48:28 PM

Well, what other choice do I have? It is a bit disturbing though that it shows how ridiculous the system is.

And wow, good memory on my college days - but yeah, they can write me all the tickets they want - I'll do what I do.