UPDATE: 2-0 on tickets

Started by GoCougs, January 10, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on April 14, 2012, 10:26:44 AM
Ifcar doesn't need to WinSPIN, at least when it comes to traffic citations, since he never drives over 30 mph..... :lol:

Psh, the state of Maryland has photographic proof that I once drove as fast as 47 in a 35. If only I'd thought to hire a lawyer to WinSPIN it for me instead of just paying the $40.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on April 14, 2012, 10:26:44 AM
Ifcar doesn't need to WinSPIN, at least when it comes to traffic citations, since he never drives over 30 mph..... :lol:

I think ifcar IRL is a bit different - a real dynamo I'm guessing.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 10:28:14 AM
Well, what other choice do I have? It is a bit disturbing though that it shows how ridiculous the system is.

And wow, good memory on my college days - but yeah, they can write me all the tickets they want - I'll do what I do.

I have a bit of the "Cool Hand Luke" within me.  I admire people who will take punishment without flinching, and refuse to bend to it.  As long as you're not doing anything really harmful to anybody.....  :rockon:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Quote from: ifcar on April 14, 2012, 07:39:08 AMThat it's in some way admirable to pay more for a ticket than its original amount after trying unsuccessfully to game the system. What we have here is "denial," not "win."

The only person "winning" is his lawyer, who's laughing all the way to the bank and looks forward to the next time Cougs walks through the door.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on April 14, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
Psh, the state of Maryland has photographic proof that I once drove as fast as 47 in a 35. If only I'd thought to hire a lawyer to WinSPIN it for me instead of just paying the $40.

Photo tickets don't count because they don't go on your license.

47 in a 35 -- weak, man.  You can do better than that..... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 10:30:10 AM
I think ifcar IRL is a bit different - a real dynamo I'm guessing.

That's hard to picture.... :lol:

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on April 14, 2012, 10:31:46 AM
Photo tickets don't count because they don't go on your license.

47 in a 35 -- weak, man.  You can do better than that..... :evildude:

Remind me when you last got a ticket. Before I was born?

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on April 14, 2012, 10:27:45 AM
To be fair Cougs, it's pretty clear you deserved both tickets, and should have paid a fine and had them held against your driving record.  You basically spent more money to keep your driving record cleaner.  Who ever said justice is not for sale?

The HOV ticket clearly. The real problem I had is that in my state it is a moving violation (LOL) and that this occurred on a brand new barely-used HOV-only on-ramp onto the interstate patrolled by a city LEO (which has no business on the interstate), built just a mile from a horrifically overcrowded non HOV on-ramp. But even if none of this were true I'd still have fought it - the HOV lane is ridiculous and irrational.

The speeding ticket not really. The LEO lied about getting me on radar. He also created a FAR more dangerous situation pulling us two drivers over, by stopping traffic in both directions, on a desolate two-lane country road with limited sight lines.

But I didn't create the system nor endorse the ridiculous method and manner of traffic enforcement. However, that won't ever stop me from using the system for my own selfish ends.

As to the money aspect of it, imagine if it weren't for sale? WAY worse.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on April 14, 2012, 10:38:04 AM
Remind me when you last got a ticket. Before I was born?

:lol:
No.  But please don't remind me that it's been 13 years.  What an embarrassment that is.  :facepalm:

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 10:38:05 AM
The HOV ticket clearly. The real problem I had is that in my state it is a moving violation (LOL) and that this occurred on a brand new barely-used HOV-only on-ramp onto the interstate patrolled by a city LEO (which has no business on the interstate), built just a mile from a horrifically overcrowded non HOV on-ramp. But even if none of this were true I'd still have fought it - the HOV lane is ridiculous and irrational.

The speeding ticket not really. The LEO lied about getting me on radar. He also created a FAR more dangerous situation pulling us two drivers over, by stopping traffic in both directions, on a desolate two-lane country road with limited sight lines.

But I didn't create the system nor endorse the ridiculous method and manner of traffic enforcement. However, that won't ever stop me from using the system for my own selfish ends.

As to the money aspect of it, imagine if it weren't for sale? WAY worse.

Are you saying you weren't actually speeding when you got busted?  What speed were you written up for, and what do you contend you were actually doing?

GoCougs

Kinda long story - it'll be on the first couple of pages. The LEO said he "got me at 70" but when I stated that that is not possible because he couldn't have gotten a bead on me (traveling in the opposite direction, based on a car he had radar'd in front of me) he then said he "paced" me. When he wrote the citation he marked that he got me on radar.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 11:03:01 AM
Kinda long story - it'll be on the first couple of pages. The LEO said he "got me at 70" but when I stated that that is not possible because he couldn't have gotten a bead on me (traveling in the opposite direction, based on a car he had radar'd in front of me) he then said he "paced" me. When he wrote the citation he marked that he got me on radar.

What speed were you actually going?

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 10:24:51 AM
Nah, which I think you know; hounddog is saying that I didn't get the two traffic citations dropped and otherwise the whole of the situation isn't true. Suffice it to say he's still vested in the system for various reasons (which is kinda disturbing, but not surprising).
And that you cannot see the forrest for the trees.  :ohyeah:

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on April 14, 2012, 10:45:57 AM
:lol:
No.  But please don't remind me that it's been 13 years.  What an embarrassment that is.  :facepalm:

The last ticket you got was before I was even old enough to drive. Before C/D. When there was a 19 in the date. More than a decade. A kid born on the day you got your last ticket would be an angst-ridden teenager, rebelling against his own parents, who themselves are a decade younger than you.

Damn, dude.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 14, 2012, 04:12:30 PM
The last ticket you got was before I was even old enough to drive. Before C/D. When there was a 19 in the date. More than a decade. A kid born on the day you got your last ticket would be an angst-ridden teenager, rebelling against his own parents, who themselves are a decade younger than you.

Damn, dude.

Must you rub it in?  :lol:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 14, 2012, 04:14:19 PM
Yes, I must. :lol:

:rockon:
Keep the pressure up, man.  I need motivation.... :pullover:

Rupert

If you have enough time to post here on a weekend, you have enough time to go find a place you can drive 100 mph for a while. Eventually, they'll catch you. No grey hair and BMW will save you then!

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 14, 2012, 04:28:09 PM
If you have enough time to post here on a weekend, you have enough time to go find a place you can drive 100 mph for a while. Eventually, they'll catch you. No grey hair and BMW will save you then!

:rockon:

Rupert

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 14, 2012, 04:52:36 PM
Do it!

I rarely drive just for the sake of driving anymore.  But I do serious speeding when I take a road trip, and I'm amazed that I've never gotten a speeding ticket on at least one of the many trips I've taken to Boston in the past 6 years.

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on April 14, 2012, 11:57:12 AM
And that you cannot see the forrest for the trees.  :ohyeah:

Hounddog takes trip #254 to LoseSPIN. :(

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 07:25:51 PM
Hounddog takes trip #254 to LoseSPIN. :(

Joe, how much is your car insurance per year?

850CSi

$1300 for two tickets isn't all that bad. Two moving violations can cost you way more than that in the long run. To me, any time you speed, get caught, and get no points you're coming out ahead. I say this as someone negotiating these pleas on behalf of the State of North Carolina many many times a week. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: 850CSi on April 15, 2012, 12:09:44 AM
$1300 for two tickets isn't all that bad. Two moving violations can cost you way more than that in the long run. To me, any time you speed, get caught, and get no points you're coming out ahead. I say this as someone negotiating these pleas on behalf of the State of North Carolina many many times a week. :lol:

I agree.  Not only does keeping the points off potentially save a lot in insurance, but it keeps the slate clean and protects your license in case you get more tickets.  Cougs could possibly have gotten the same result spending less money, but maybe not.  A lot depends on the locality.  If he's happy with the outcome, then it's a win for him.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on April 14, 2012, 09:15:16 PM
Joe, how much is your car insurance per year?

$114/mo (was $86/mo for the Accord). No clue on deductibles and coverages, but it's a fairly high end policy.

Once I heard that an HOV citation was a moving violation, that set me off big time. What a racket the points thing; and especially letting private entities have unfettered access to personal information.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2012, 09:54:39 AM
$114/mo (was $86/mo for the Accord). No clue on deductibles and coverages, but it's a fairly high end policy.

Once I heard that an HOV citation was a moving violation, that set me off big time. What a racket the points thing; and especially letting private entities have unfettered access to personal information.

Not too bad, man.  Mine is similar.

MaxPower

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 11:03:01 AM

I chuckle when drivers tell LEOs that they couldn't have seen them, or couldn't have gotten a radar reading.  It's silly because drivers don't know when the cop saw them.  They don't know when the cop got a radar read.  They just know when they saw the cop (which, quite often, is when the lights come on).

dazzleman

Quote from: MaxPower on April 15, 2012, 11:23:20 AM

I chuckle when drivers tell LEOs that they couldn't have seen them, or couldn't have gotten a radar reading.  It's silly because drivers don't know when the cop saw them.  They don't know when the cop got a radar read.  They just know when they saw the cop (which, quite often, is when the lights come on).

I'm sure Cougs was guilty as sin for the speeding charge he got written up for.

GoCougs

Quote from: MaxPower on April 15, 2012, 11:23:20 AM
I chuckle when drivers tell LEOs that they couldn't have seen them, or couldn't have gotten a radar reading.  It's silly because drivers don't know when the cop saw them.  They don't know when the cop got a radar read.  They just know when they saw the cop (which, quite often, is when the lights come on).

Um, except he admitted to it when I called him out:

LEO:  I got you at 70.
Me:  So how did you get a bead on me at 70 coming head on with cars in front of me?
LEO:  <shrugs, gets a pit pissy> I got the car in front of you, and you were behind that car. I paced you behind that car.
Me:  How can you pace me coming head on?
LEO:  I asked the driver if you'd been behind her since xxxx town (5-7 miles back.) (I almost lol'd at this answer, but being respectful I did not, but I did smile a bit knowing he knew I got 'em.)
Me:  That's not true - I bypassed that town and took the (well known) cutoff (which was true - doubt he asked the other driver).
LEO:  Well that's what I'm putting on the affidavit to the court. (The citation was marked "SMD" (speed measurement device).)

So in this instance I was correct - he didn't get a bead, came up with two stupid answers, and then lied on the citation (or, if I'm more generous, mistakenly did not mark "pace"). WinSPIN.