My current top ten possible Jetta replacements

Started by Raza , January 12, 2012, 11:57:25 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1773247#msg1773247 date=1346545455
I drove home today with the top down, windows open, and radio off.  It was such an experience.  So many sounds that you never hear wrapped up in a metal and glass cocoon.  The sound of other cars accelerating, the difference sound of kinds of motorcycles (played a little leapfrog with a Harley rider; we gave each other respect and went our own ways), and not to mention the world looks different from such a low riding car that has no roof.  It feels bigger, wider, more vast. 

I did accidentally hit 100 on my way to my friends' place.  I was getting through a pocket of traffic the way I normally would in the Jetta, and when I looked down, the needle was swinging past the 100mph mark.  I had to slow it down.  Coppers out in full force today. 

Still, you need to break into triple digits as part of the break-in of a new car......
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on September 01, 2012, 11:44:09 AM
Almost as. Truth be told, the Boxster was too fast for roads. No remorse here.
After following my buddy's stock 10 second R1 I am rethinking the "too fast for roads" mantra. But 230HP with torque in a little roadster is plenty. Its only 30 more HP, w/no more torque. I think the real life spread is even closer than that.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 01, 2012, 05:53:46 PM
I never liked Cougars. Never fastbacks, grille looked crap compared to the same thing Chargers and Camaros were doing at the time. Mustang from the same year looks way better:

That's pretty sweet but I prefer it not to be a fastback.  That likes like about a '68.  I don't think the Chargers came along until a couple of years later, when the Mustang styling was also ruined by the fat look.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

SVT666

I saw a guy pulled over in a Factory Five Cobra tonight and I thought, "That's what Dazzle should get."  It looked pretty much exactly like this one:

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on September 02, 2012, 12:18:32 AM
Now you're talking my language -- nice Toronado.

Riviera!

I could definitely see you cruising in that.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 02, 2012, 12:37:51 AM
Riviera!

I could definitely see you cruising in that.

Thanks.  I think the Riviera is just the Buick version of the Toronado.  Late '60s, one of my favorite eras.

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT666 on September 02, 2012, 12:27:25 AM
I saw a guy pulled over in a Factory Five Cobra tonight and I thought, "That's what Dazzle should get."  It looked pretty much exactly like this one:

Holy crap, that is sweet.

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on September 02, 2012, 12:48:50 AM
Thanks.  I think the Riviera is just the Buick version of the Toronado.  Late '60s, one of my favorite eras.

Basically. Same platform, although the Riviera was RWD while the Toronado was FWD.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on September 01, 2012, 11:09:13 PM
A 3.0si is too fast for roads? :wtf:

Too fast to truly enjoy on roads, using the Boxster as a proxy.  You're talking 0-60 in 5 seconds.  I really don't think you know how fast that is; just because faster cars are becoming more commonplace doesn't mean people are ready for them.  I wouldn't think a driver of a low power, lightweight sports car with no reverse lights would find this concept so foreign.  Once you get down to the 5.5 seconds range, you're talking about a very fast car, regardless of what else is on the road.  And with an ever present police force and more and more fat slobs in fat slob cars clogging the roads, where are you going to be able to enjoy it?

I'm more in the James May camp of lighter, simple cars that aren't overpowered being very fun to drive.  Something like that 3.0 second GT-R just doesn't interest me.  

And maybe the 3.0si isn't as fast as I thought it was (5.3 to 60 based on a review I found, so I don't it's much faster than this car anyway), but my overall point still stands. The only thing I'd miss is the wheels.  And I can always get new wheels.  

EDIT:  Hmm, doing some reading, it seems like most people say in day-to-day driving, you wouldn't even notice the extra power of the 3.0si, since it does come with some extra weight, apparently. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Oh, speaking of forums, what's the right BMW forum to join to get the best model-specific info?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on September 02, 2012, 05:15:43 AM
Oh, speaking of forums, what's the right BMW forum to join to get the best model-specific info?
I feel like no matter where you go you'd be in for a shit show

With the small penance of the Z being a rarish model, which would prompt a smaller + closer knit community

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on September 02, 2012, 09:09:02 AM
E89 specific?

I don't mean specifically a Z4 (E85) forum, but you know how there are usually a bunch of make-specific forums and there's usually one that's the best of them?  I'm looking for that one. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Probably here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

It is a subsection of bimmerpost which is definitely the largest BMW forum out there. Consider that your car shares drivetrain with lots of other BMWs. There may be a better Z only forum but I don't know it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1772680#msg1772680 date=1346450210

Fuck yeah!  I didn't have time to make a sign that says "Suck it, Psilos". I'll upload more photos when I get home.

This car is awesome.

Psh, that's probably your dad's car.

:lol:

Finally, and congrats!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on September 02, 2012, 04:49:02 PM
Psh, that's probably your dad's car.

Finally, and congrats!

Finally, indeed.  It was a long time coming.  

Speaking of my dad, I decided to be charitable and take him for a quick spin after I took my mom out today.  It was...uncomfortable.  Going on three years since I've had a civil conversation with him.  

I'm definitely getting some stares in this car.  I was out around the PA/DE border yesterday with a friend with the top down, and some old guy in a lifted truck was giving me the stare down.  I smoked him.   :devil:

I'll try to get some real pictures, maybe tomorrow, maybe next weekend when my friend and I install the AUX input.  We're getting rain here though.  Had some rain today.   

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

He was staring you down because he thought you were going for a cruise with your boyfriend.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on September 02, 2012, 04:47:51 AM
Too fast to truly enjoy on roads, using the Boxster as a proxy.  You're talking 0-60 in 5 seconds.  I really don't think you know how fast that is; just because faster cars are becoming more commonplace doesn't mean people are ready for them.  I wouldn't think a driver of a low power, lightweight sports car with no reverse lights would find this concept so foreign.  Once you get down to the 5.5 seconds range, you're talking about a very fast car, regardless of what else is on the road.  And with an ever present police force and more and more fat slobs in fat slob cars clogging the roads, where are you going to be able to enjoy it?

I'm more in the James May camp of lighter, simple cars that aren't overpowered being very fun to drive.  Something like that 3.0 second GT-R just doesn't interest me. 

And maybe the 3.0si isn't as fast as I thought it was (5.3 to 60 based on a review I found, so I don't it's much faster than this car anyway), but my overall point still stands. The only thing I'd miss is the wheels.  And I can always get new wheels. 

EDIT:  Hmm, doing some reading, it seems like most people say in day-to-day driving, you wouldn't even notice the extra power of the 3.0si, since it does come with some extra weight, apparently. 
You don't think I know what 0-60 in 5 seconds feels like? Do you think I live under a rock?

I've driven a few cars faster than that, and not like a granny either. Yeah, I enjoy my car but there have been times where I've found myself wishing for another 30-40 hp, and there are times where those sub 5 second cars are incredibly fun, like on a deserted highway onramp or on a straight piece of road that you're familiar with. I would also have probably gone with the 3.0i over the 3.0si, but I just found the "3.0si is too fast for public roads" comment to be a little ridiculous considering it's not that fast of a car compared to many cars nowadays.

Anyways, congrats with the car. Maybe one of these days you'll drop the "painted taillights" thing, too.

And by the way, they aren't painted. I could rip those covers off whenever I want to. ;)
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on September 02, 2012, 09:05:27 PM
He was staring you down because he thought you were going for a cruise with your boyfriend.

In my "expensive" furrin car, too. 

I don't get it.  Two guys in a convertible automatically equals gay couple?  Oh well, I'm secure enough with myself that that shit doesn't matter to me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Hey, is it weird if I want to say bye to my service guy?  Maybe get him a little gift or something?  I mean, he's been my service guy for 8 years, I feel strange that I'm just going to stop showing up. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

A gift?  You've given him a lot of money.  He's not doing it out of the goodness of his heart, he's doing it because you pay him.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1773708#msg1773708 date=1346646259
Hey, is it weird if I want to say bye to my service guy?  Maybe get him a little gift or something?  I mean, he's been my service guy for 8 years, I feel strange that I'm just going to stop showing up.  
We don't think about you all that much. You're just a wallet to us. :devil:

I don't know. I recall some guy wanting my picture taken with his car because he was so happy with it. And I recall a few people giving me tips. But we really don't need gifts or anything like that. I figure when someone never comes back then they have a reason.

Raza

Maybe you guys are right. But I still want to say something to the guy. I mean, 8 years is a long time.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on September 02, 2012, 10:15:40 PM
In my "expensive" furrin car, too. 

I don't get it.  Two guys in a convertible automatically equals gay couple?  Oh well, I'm secure enough with myself that that shit doesn't matter to me. 

Let the haters hate. They're hating bc they rock a Camry while you're pushin' a Z4 brah. NOTHING about that car is gay, straight or anything. If a lot of gay dudes own that car, it's bc they're educated professionals with no wives or kids to fuck shit up. Good on them!

Can't wait to own a few Chevy/Jeep dudes in my Brit "soft roader" in the mud pits this fall. I'll be towing their asses out!!!!