My current top ten possible Jetta replacements

Started by Raza , January 12, 2012, 11:57:25 AM

Rupert

This thread is pointless, because Raza will never buy an interesting car. He'll just get another VW sedan.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Rupert on January 12, 2012, 07:09:23 PM
This thread is pointless, because Raza will never buy an interesting car. He'll just get another VW sedan.
Lol, the big Volkswagen LeSabre. With the VR6 though!

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 12, 2012, 05:20:35 PM
Didn't you just get the Jetta?

I'd said A5 or Golf R. I like the e39 but not sure I'd get one given the age and cost of repairs.

And yeah, except for business owners leasing is for idiots.  I wasn't going to mention that until you said not to.

2008.  Lease is up in July.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 12, 2012, 07:09:23 PM

You know, you keep saying that, but I'm not sure if it's just because you're a douchebag or if you have any reasoning behind at all.  Because my last two cars were pretty interesting, even if one was a Volkswagen sedan.  :rolleyes:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Hmm, early C6 Corvettes are in my price range.  Not a bad choice, but I don't know if I'd take one over the M coupe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Raza, since you're considering impractical cars like the M Coupe, Porsche 911 and BRZ, you should just get an NSX.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on January 13, 2012, 08:17:43 AM
Raza, since you're considering impractical cars like the M Coupe, Porsche 911 and BRZ, you should just get an NSX.
I was gonna suggest this, but Raza hates the NSX. I believe his argument was that it doesn't have enough value.

A little ironic. Yes a 20 year old NSX is $20-30K. But other than maintenance that's it. 996 for example costs the same. But then you have to keep $10K in the stash for possible engine failure. Bimmers aren't as bad but they can get you. Etc. NSX is the most rational sports car, even at its price point.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on January 13, 2012, 08:17:43 AM

They're going up in price now.  Not worth it, in my opinion.  Really cool, but when everyone out there in a Boxster or S2000 could beat me in a straight line and in the corners, you have to wonder what the value is in having an old exotic.  And the idea of maintaining one while driving in 15,000 miles a year sort of gives me a heart attack.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 13, 2012, 08:34:53 AM
I was gonna suggest this, but Raza hates the NSX. I believe his argument was that it doesn't have enough value.

A little ironic. Yes a 20 year old NSX is $20-30K. But other than maintenance that's it. 996 for example costs the same. But then you have to keep $10K in the stash for possible engine failure. Bimmers aren't as bad but they can get you. Etc. NSX is the most rational sports car, even at its price point.

Whoa, whoa.  I like the NSX.  I just don't see paying $40K for a 20 year old car that was outpaced by cheaper competition years before it was killed off.  They're collector items now.  The $20K NSX doesn't exist anymore.  At least not that I've seen.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on January 13, 2012, 08:41:36 AM
Whoa, whoa.  I like the NSX.  I just don't see paying $40K for a 20 year old car that was outpaced by cheaper competition years before it was killed off.  They're collector items now.  The $20K NSX doesn't exist anymore.  At least not that I've seen.
You're talking about buying a BRZ, 500 Abarth. The Subaru is slower and the 500 will prob be more of a crapshoot reliability wise. The NSX is just as reliable as an Accord... and will have better owners + maintenance (than a 20 year old Accord). I would def check one out, at least. Don't write it off till you drive it.

CALL_911

You really think getting parts for an NSX will be cheap by any means?

I love the NSX as much as anyone here (hell, I want one quite badly), but it's an impractical suggestion. Every bit as much as the E39 M5 which I know Raza won't get.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

I agree with C6 Vette. The ride and interior are irrelevent when you have 430 horseeses.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Has the GTO been suggested yet? You can get a very nice one in your budget.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 13, 2012, 08:48:35 AM
You're talking about buying a BRZ, 500 Abarth. The Subaru is slower and the 500 will prob be more of a crapshoot reliability wise. The NSX is just as reliable as an Accord... and will have better owners + maintenance (than a 20 year old Accord). I would def check one out, at least. Don't write it off till you drive it.

True, I am considering slower cars; but I'm not paying a huge price premium to get them.

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 13, 2012, 09:00:21 AM
You really think getting parts for an NSX will be cheap by any means?

I love the NSX as much as anyone here (hell, I want one quite badly), but it's an impractical suggestion. Every bit as much as the E39 M5 which I know Raza won't get.

Yes; anyone who thinks that a high strung exotic will be as easy and care free as an Accord is really oversimplifying things.  It's faulty logic to think repairs and maintenance won't be difficult and costly.  

I want one, I do.  I'll even look into it.  But I don't think it's a viable option.  Especially as the far more desirable NSX-T was only made from 1995 on.

1995 NSX

If you guys thought I was crazy for wanting an M5 with 70K miles...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just go for the BRZ.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on January 13, 2012, 09:06:22 AM
Has the GTO been suggested yet? You can get a very nice one in your budget.

I've definitely considered it.  My concern would be parts (other than the engine) going forward for a low volume car from a defunct manufacturer.  But it's possible.  Not top 5, but possible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

An NSX is no more high strung than an Integra GS-R (literally)...

Seriously, there's nothing in an NSX that isn't in a GS-R. It's just rarer + aluminum (hence the higher parts costs... economies of scale).

I tell you one thing... I would go for a 20 year old NSX over a 10 year old Porsche 10 times out of 10. There's a reason a good NSX costs more than a 996 with the same mileage....

S204STi

LS2 GTOs are a fun drive, for sure.  Something about the V8 sound (and power! man...) and overall decent quality vs other GM products of its era makes it the second-best Pontiac ever, next to the G8.  That one is slightly better in several ways, but parts will be even more of an issue with that one.

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 13, 2012, 09:21:16 AM
An NSX is no more high strung than an Integra GS-R (literally)...

Seriously, there's nothing in an NSX that isn't in a GS-R. It's just rarer + aluminum (hence the higher parts costs... economies of scale).

I tell you one thing... I would go for a 20 year old NSX over a 10 year old Porsche 10 times out of 10. There's a reason a good NSX costs more than a 996 with the same mileage....

That sounds like a giant crock of shit to me. They don't share the same engine, transmission, drivetrain, layout, chassis, or sheetmetal.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 13, 2012, 08:34:53 AM

A little ironic. Yes a 20 year old NSX is $20-30K. But other than maintenance that's it. 996 for example costs the same. But then you have to keep $10K in the stash for possible engine failure. Bimmers aren't as bad but they can get you. Etc. NSX is the most rational sports car, even at its price

I don't buy that. If you can't handle a potential $10k repair bill, you have no business owning a 20 yr NSX IMO. NSX doesn't get some magical exception just cause its a Honda.

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on January 13, 2012, 09:37:07 AM
That sounds like a giant crock of shit to me. They don't share the same engine, transmission, drivetrain, layout, chassis, or sheetmetal.
They share the same VTEC!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

If you drive an NSX in snow, I will beat you up.

Eye of the Tiger

I would love to see an NSX tearing it up on giant snow tires.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on January 13, 2012, 09:37:07 AM
Obviously everything isn't the same literally, but VTEC is VTEC. Honda suspensions in the 90s were Honda suspensions in the 90s. Electrical components & wiring were all the same quality from the Civic up to the NSX. Old Hondas don't have problems with stupid shit like window regulators or A/C blowers or whatever. And like I said the NSX engines weren't even that high strung. Plus again someone who dropped 90, 70, 50, 30 large on an NSX has way more incentive to take care of it than someone with a 5K Integra... and the 5K Integras are bulletproof.

Quote from: Lebowski on January 13, 2012, 09:38:23 AM
I don't buy that. If you can't handle a potential $10k repair bill, you have no business owning a 20 yr NSX IMO. NSX doesn't get some magical exception just cause its a Honda.
I'm not sure a 10K repair bill is reasonable on any car... but in any case the point is such a problem is way more likely in all of Raza's picks than it is in even the oldest NSXs...

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 13, 2012, 10:30:45 AM

I'm not sure a 10K repair bill is reasonable on any car... but in any case the point is such a problem is way more likely in all of Raza's picks than it is in even the oldest NSXs...

:nutty:

A brand new, under warranty BRZ is more likely to have a major repair bill than a 20yr old semi-exotic?

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 13, 2012, 09:21:16 AM

And a 993 costs more than an NSX with the same mileage. What's your point? 

Reliability is not the main driver of price discrepancies in this class.

68_427

The NSX is incredibly expensive to repair.

And if you're going to get one, make sure it's a 6 speed with the 3.2.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on January 13, 2012, 11:18:08 AM
:nutty:

A brand new, under warranty BRZ is more likely to have a major repair bill than a 20yr old semi-exotic?

Sorry I meant his used choices.

Quote from: Lebowski on January 13, 2012, 11:25:06 AM
And a 993 costs more than an NSX with the same mileage. What's your point? 

Reliability is not the main driver of price discrepancies in this class.
Reliability is definitely A driver in the price of 996s and NSXs.

I'm not saying for dude to get an NSX... just that the spectre of repairs and all that is not a legitimate swipe against them. At least not in comparison to his other USED choices.