C&D 2012 Lightning Lap Results

Started by MexicoCityM3, January 12, 2012, 01:34:34 PM

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 16, 2012, 08:45:22 PM
IDK. Base version yea. Performance versions, not so much... esp with any of the features needed to really access that performance. Plus the rest of GM's interiors have made big strides. No reason for the flagship sports car to stay in the past.

I disagree that the rest of GM's lineup has made great strides.  IMO just about ALL cars made by the Detroit 3 have shit interiors with shit, plasticky and flimsy components, and that includes the luxury brands like Caddy, Lincoln et al.

I really don't have a problem w/ the C6 interior, for what it is.  I think I got a great value for what I paid for it.  You can't expect to pay that price and get european luxury brand interior quality.

I don't know what you mean wrt "features needed to access the performance", other than maybe betters seats.

I also disagree that it's somehow more of an issue for their performance models.  Look at the price disparity between a base 911 and then spec out a GT3 exactly to your liking.  I don't want to see that kind of price disparity for a base C6 vs. a Z06 vs. a ZR1 and skimping on things like the interior allows them to do that.  Everyone says they would like a Corvette with a nicer interior, but 99.9% of those people are not willing to pay $150k for a Z06.  Not saying interior alone would bring the price up that much, but there's are reasons the entire lineup is as cheap as it is.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on January 16, 2012, 08:50:12 PM
The Corvette's interior isn't that bad.  The steering wheel design is stupid (why can't they just do a three spoke?), but it's not that bad.  Besides, it's a performance car, who really gives that much of a shit about the entire as long as the driving experience isn't lacking?

Always been a 3 spoke for the C6.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 16, 2012, 09:24:34 PM
I don't know what you mean wrt "features needed to access the performance", other than maybe betters seats.

Automatic transmissions, undefeatable stability control systems, electronic handbrakes, all wheel drive systems, distance monitoring cruise control, 4000+lb curb weights, et al.  All things true performance cars need. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on January 16, 2012, 09:28:53 PM

Nope. All 2005 models had the funny looking 4 spoke design. The 3 spoke that you have pictured became the default wheel in 2006.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on January 16, 2012, 09:28:53 PM

Oh.  I must have been looking at a picture of a C5 interior earlier today then.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 16, 2012, 09:39:24 PM
Nope. All 2005 models had the funny looking 4 spoke design. The 3 spoke that you have pictured became the default wheel in 2006.

Vindicated!  I guess I was looking at a 2005. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26480.msg1651250#msg1651250 date=1326775203
Vindicated!  I guess I was looking at a 2005.  
Yep. And the autos had a differant shifter also!

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on January 16, 2012, 08:50:12 PM
The Corvette's interior isn't that bad.

It reminds me of my uncle's late-90s S10 pickup. It's bad.

TurboDan

Quote from: Lebowski on January 16, 2012, 09:24:34 PM
Everyone says they would like a Corvette with a nicer interior, but 99.9% of those people are not willing to pay $150k for a Z06.

Conversely, I wonder how many people are not willing to pay even the base MSRP $49K for a cheap looking interior.

They could alienate/dissuade some people by going more upscale, but I think they alienate a greater number of potential buyers and give up a lot of sales when people test drive a 'Vette and walk away asking themselves if they're willing to pay so much money for a vehicle that has an interior that looks ancient and on par with a Corolla.

You're right that it's mainly about performance, but few people bring these cars to the track or are genuinely involved in the "sporting" aspect. Most people buy them because they're cool looking cars that can "go fast" and impress their friends. Truth be told, if I was in the market for a performance-minded car, I'd spend $2K less and buy an S4.

Regarding GM, I had the opportunity to drive an SRX last week and was surprised when I pressed the touch-screen and the plastic housing around the thing actually moved when I pressed it. Even though this car was three years old, that should NOT happen - period. The touch screen on my LR2 is solid as a rock. Is this a little thing? Am I being too hard on GM? Maybe. But when you pay tens of thousands of dollars for a premium car, the damn thing shouldn't have cheap plastic housing that gives way after three years.

SVT666

Improving the quality of the interior in their mainstream cars raised the prices of their cars by a couple hundred bucks at most.  The Corvette, being a limited production car, would probably cost another $1500 or so.  Nobody spending $50,000+ on a sports car is going to care about an extra $1500. If they do, they shouldn't be spending that much kn a car then.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on January 17, 2012, 12:12:12 AM
Improving the quality of the interior in their mainstream cars raised the prices of their cars by a couple hundred bucks at most.  The Corvette, being a limited production car, would probably cost another $1500 or so.  Nobody spending $50,000+ on a sports car is going to care about an extra $1500. If they do, they shouldn't be spending that much kn a car then.
Preach!!!!!! I wish I could afford a C7!

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 17, 2012, 12:34:34 AM
Preach!!!!!! I wish I could afford a C7!
I know man, too bad you're stuck with that POS C6. :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT666 link=topic=quote author=SVT666 link=topic=26480.msg1651319#msg1651319 date=1326784332]

Improving the quality of the interior in their mainstream cars raised the prices of their cars by a couple hundred bucks at most.

Right, and it looks like they got about a couple hundred bucks worth of improvement (read: they are still terrible compared to the import competition).

Lebowski

Quote from: TurboDan on January 16, 2012, 11:53:19 PM
Conversely, I wonder how many people are not willing to pay even the base MSRP $49K for a cheap looking interior.

They could alienate/dissuade some people by going more upscale, but I think they alienate a greater number of potential buyers and give up a lot of sales when people test drive a 'Vette and walk away asking themselves if they're willing to pay so much money for a vehicle that has an interior that looks ancient and on par with a Corolla.

You're right that it's mainly about performance, but few people bring these cars to the track or are genuinely involved in the "sporting" aspect. Most people buy them because they're cool looking cars that can "go fast" and impress their friends. Truth be told, if I was in the market for a performance-minded car, I'd spend $2K less and buy an S4.

Regarding GM, I had the opportunity to drive an SRX last week and was surprised when I pressed the touch-screen and the plastic housing around the thing actually moved when I pressed it. Even though this car was three years old, that should NOT happen - period. The touch screen on my LR2 is solid as a rock. Is this a little thing? Am I being too hard on GM? Maybe. But when you pay tens of thousands of dollars for a premium car, the damn thing shouldn't have cheap plastic housing that gives way after three years.

Are you looking at the picture or the c5?  C6 interior is really not that bad. It's definitely not up to par with the imports but it's not comparable to an old s10, even if you meant that as hyperbole.

r0tor

I'd rather have a TT-rs then a vette... Seems like a car you can take to the track and drive your ass off and not have to worry about it biting you
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2012, 10:58:27 PM

Face hugger!

4 spoke >>> 3 spoke.  You get an extra spoke for the money.  Value right there.

Honestly I dislike 3 spoke wheels, the Supra has one.  When I'm driving hard, my hands are at 10 and 2, and the spokes don't get in the way.  When I'm cruising my hand often rests on the bottom center of the wheel, where there is a space in the 4 spoke wheel and a huge spoke in the 3 spoke wheel.  Plus most 3 spoke wheels tend to have ENORMOUS spokes that actually give you less wheel real estate.

I don't really know where this whole 3 spokes = sporty thing came from.

Tave

Quote from: 565 on January 17, 2012, 07:16:43 AM
4 spoke >>> 3 spoke.  You get an extra spoke for the money.  Value right there.

Honestly I dislike 3 spoke wheels, the Supra has one.  When I'm driving hard, my hands are at 10 and 2, and the spokes don't get in the way.  When I'm cruising my hand often rests on the bottom center of the wheel, where there is a space in the 4 spoke wheel and a huge spoke in the 3 spoke wheel.  Plus most 3 spoke wheels tend to have ENORMOUS spokes that actually give you less wheel real estate.

I don't really know where this whole 3 spokes = sporty thing came from.

There's your problem. A proper grip is at 9 and 3.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Quote from: Tave on January 17, 2012, 07:21:37 AM
There's your problem. A proper grip is at 9 and 3.

That explains nothing because the top two spokes are in the same position regardless of spoke number.  If anything that favors the 4 spoke design with thinner spokes. 

Tave

Quote from: 565 on January 17, 2012, 07:47:08 AM
That explains nothing because the top two spokes are in the same position regardless of spoke number.  If anything that favors the 4 spoke design with thinner spokes. 

You're not supposed to try to avoid the spokes. It isn't a pull-up bar.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: Tave on January 17, 2012, 08:02:55 AM
You're not supposed to try to avoid the spokes. It isn't a pull-up bar.

Okay then how is a 3 spoke any different from a 4 spoke.

Tave

Quote from: 565 on January 17, 2012, 08:08:37 AM
Okay then how is a 3 spoke any different from a 4 spoke.

When did I say it was? You're the guy with spoke-issues. :evildude:

Quote from: Tave on January 17, 2012, 08:12:05 AM
When did I say it was? You're the guy with spoke-issues. :evildude:

Well I guess I was just mystified with why people make a big deal against 4 spoke wheels.

Raza

I don't dislike them outright, but I prefer a three spoke, after having them in my Boxster and Jetta, they have a cleaner look and feel, and they work better for my 9 and 3 or just 9 driving position.  But that steering wheel Kevin posted is pretty bad.  It's not as bad as the S Class ewok steering wheel, but it's bad. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

Quote from: Lebowski on January 17, 2012, 06:05:51 AM
Are you looking at the picture or the c5?  C6 interior is really not that bad. It's definitely not up to par with the imports but it's not comparable to an old s10, even if you meant that as hyperbole.

The S10 comparo was definitely hyperbole, but when prices in upwards of $50K are on the table, "not that bad" wouldn't cut it for me, personally. I get that it's not a luxury car... I just wonder how many people decide against buying one when they see what the competition is offering for the same price.

Gotta-Qik-C7

MexicoCityM3

Interior quality has been a big factor in keeping me away from Corvettes. I recently sat in a Z06 at an auto show here and the interior is really crappy. I?d much rather pay an extra 5K for a better interior.

Caddy is much better. The interior quality is fine, it?s the interior design that I don?t like (purely subjective).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on January 17, 2012, 12:12:12 AM
Improving the quality of the interior in their mainstream cars raised the prices of their cars by a couple hundred bucks at most.  The Corvette, being a limited production car, would probably cost another $1500 or so.  Nobody spending $50,000+ on a sports car is going to care about an extra $1500. If they do, they shouldn't be spending that much kn a car then.

It'd be less than $1500.  Every dollar counts, with how competitive this market is.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV