Too lazy to (use non functional) search. Star Trek?

Started by sportyaccordy, January 17, 2012, 10:09:57 AM

What is your favorite Star Trek

Original Series
2 (10%)
Cartoon (???)
0 (0%)
The Next Generation
10 (50%)
Deep Space Nine
2 (10%)
Voyager
5 (25%)
Enterprise
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

93JC

Mirab, his sails unfurled!

Yeah, I remember that. :lol:

GoCougs

Darmok and Gilad at Tinagra.

(Not sure on that spelling, and yes, that is from memory too.)

GoCougs

Another fav TNG episode of mine is "The Defector" which is carried on the back of James Sloyan (who had all sorts of roles in Trek land, most notably, as Odo's doctor/father/discoverer in DS9).

Laconian

93JC

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2012, 07:04:33 PM
Another fav TNG episode of mine is "The Defector" which is carried on the back of James Sloyan (who had all sorts of roles in Trek land, most notably, as Odo's doctor/father/discoverer in DS9).
I liked that one but I was always pissed the Enterprise never had it out with a Warbird. I had to wait for DS9 to show some fights with starships. Every time it looked like the Enterprise-D would have to throw down on a pointed eared bastards bird ship it would work out peaceful in the end.

I'm also mad that the original movies never had it out with a D-7 battle cruiser. All we ever got was a fucking little piss ass Bird of Prey. That was ok in Search for Spock because it was the first time we saw that ship design and the enterprise didn't have a full crew. But in 6 I finally thought the battle would be against "Kronos One" and in the end it was a bitch ass bird of prey.

Oh, and NO WAY a bird of prey can take out a fucking Galaxy class ship! I don't care if it can shoot through the shields or not. The Enterprise D could blow an old BoP into dust with or without shields.

Back to drinking wine now.

GoCougs

Thing is a Warbird is more than twice as big as a Galaxy class and out gunned it (Warbird was a military vessel first, unlike the Enterprise), so it was always my thinking that is why they never went one on one.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2012, 06:48:42 PM
OMG, I made the second image on this page:
http://www.jitselemmens.com/wordpress/2010/02/shaka/

I think I remember that from the C&D days?  But I have no idea to what it is referring. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

It's an uber geek/nerd meme based on the TNG episode, "Darmok." Picard and Co. happen upon some random ship but when they try to communicate the UT (universal translator) just spits out things like "Shaka, when the walls fell" and other seemingly random stuff when the aliens speak. I won't spoil the episode but Picard solves the mystery and saves the day. FANTASTIC episode.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on January 21, 2012, 09:11:06 AM
It's an uber geek/nerd meme based on the TNG episode, "Darmok." Picard and Co. happen upon some random ship but when they try to communicate the UT (universal translator) just spits out things like "Shaka, when the walls fell" and other seemingly random stuff when the aliens speak. I won't spoil the episode but Picard solves the mystery and saves the day. FANTASTIC episode.

Hmm. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

I'm going to bitch about one more Trek thing. I know they've got different writers for every story and it would be difficult for all of them to know all the back story of Trek. But they have enough people working with these shows all the time that some of the large continuity errors should've been corrected before filming. One example is the  STNG "Relics" episode. In this one the Enterprise-D finds a crashed Federation Star Ship on a Dyson sphere. They find Scotty inside the transporter that had been jury-rigged and when Scotty rematerialized and found out the people who saved him came from the Enterprise he said something like "I bet Jim Kirk dug the Enterprise out of mothballs and headed the rescue mission." That was all fine and good until.......

Star Trek Generations comes out years later. And Scotty is on the Enterprise B when he thinks that Kirk is killed in the beginning of the movie. So it makes the Relics show not fit. How could people not catch that shit?

Rupert

I just blame all those continuity errors on behind-the-scenes-Q. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

Quote from: Onslaught on January 21, 2012, 10:53:22 AM
I'm going to bitch about one more Trek thing. I know they've got different writers for every story and it would be difficult for all of them to know all the back story of Trek. But they have enough people working with these shows all the time that some of the large continuity errors should've been corrected before filming. One example is the  STNG "Relics" episode. In this one the Enterprise-D finds a crashed Federation Star Ship on a Dyson sphere. They find Scotty inside the transporter that had been jury-rigged and when Scotty rematerialized and found out the people who saved him came from the Enterprise he said something like "I bet Jim Kirk dug the Enterprise out of mothballs and headed the rescue mission." That was all fine and good until.......

Star Trek Generations comes out years later. And Scotty is on the Enterprise B when he thinks that Kirk is killed in the beginning of the movie. So it makes the Relics show not fit. How could people not catch that shit?

Perhaps you can attribute that to Scotty's advanced age and a bit of dementia.

Onslaught

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2012, 01:24:42 PM
Perhaps you can attribute that to Scotty's advanced age and a bit of dementia.
He really wasn't that old for the time. People live to be well over 100 in ST times.

93JC

Still doesn't mean they're not tottering old coots.

Northlands

Quote from: Onslaught on January 20, 2012, 07:32:42 PM
I liked that one but I was always pissed the Enterprise never had it out with a Warbird. I had to wait for DS9 to show some fights with starships. Every time it looked like the Enterprise-D would have to throw down on a pointed eared bastards bird ship it would work out peaceful in the end.

I'm also mad that the original movies never had it out with a D-7 battle cruiser. All we ever got was a fucking little piss ass Bird of Prey. That was ok in Search for Spock because it was the first time we saw that ship design and the enterprise didn't have a full crew. But in 6 I finally thought the battle would be against "Kronos One" and in the end it was a bitch ass bird of prey.

Oh, and NO WAY a bird of prey can take out a fucking Galaxy class ship! I don't care if it can shoot through the shields or not. The Enterprise D could blow an old BoP into dust with or without shields.

Back to drinking wine now.

Meh. They'd all get owned by a whole host of Star Wars Universe ships.

:evildude:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

The Stargate Universe ship would be even bigger, but nobody would be able to figure out how to fire weapons from the fucking thing.

Rupert

Quote from: Northlands on January 21, 2012, 02:08:31 PM

I wanna see a battle between a star destroyer, the Enterprise, and the Galactica.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Northlands on January 21, 2012, 02:08:31 PM

Actually they wouldn't. I'd take most STNG ships over Star Wars. I'm not talking Death Star or anything.

Northlands

That's until you hit the Super Class / Sovereign Class Destroyers. These things will crack planets in two.

I'm more of a SW nerd than ST , so I'll have my biases.  :facepalm:  Not unlike the ST ships, regular Star Destroyers , Victory or Imperial class ones also have a ton of torpedoes. Not just the little pew pew lasers that are seen in the movies.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

Northlands

Quote from: Laconian on January 21, 2012, 02:10:30 PM
The Stargate Universe ship would be even bigger, but nobody would be able to figure out how to fire weapons from the fucking thing.

Yeah, any ship you have to fly into a star to recharge it's power core is inherently badass IMO.  :lol:

Onslaught

I'm a big fan of both too. I'd still want to be in a big boy Romulan, Klingon or Federation ship over almost any Rebel or Imperial ship.

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on January 21, 2012, 10:53:22 AM

Actually, Generations was shot less than two years after "Relics" and Ronald D. Moore was the writer for both. But my hunch is, the success of the movie was WAY more important than cannon.

But that stuff never bothered me.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on January 21, 2012, 03:25:38 PM
Actually, Generations was shot less than two years after "Relics" and Ronald D. Moore was the writer for both. But my hunch is, the success of the movie was WAY more important than cannon.

But that stuff never bothered me.
Actually what happened was Leonard Nimoy was going to be in it but bailed out. So they put James in. But still, someone should've said something.

Northlands