Your gut call...

Started by Klackamas, January 18, 2012, 07:13:44 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Klackamas on January 19, 2012, 05:34:45 PM
The column shifter on the MB is shit as stated by someone earlier.

I don't have a problem with the column shifter placement in my dads E350 CGI. I get into that car, fire it up and put it in "R" or "D" and off I go.

I'm not sure what is supposed to be "shit" about it. I was apprehensive of it to when I first experienced it in the 2nd generation M-Class, but you get used to it quickly and it's not a problem afterwards. Besides, it's an automatic transmission. They won't have to perform manual shifts in the first place, but they can because all column shifter-equipped E-Classes have paddle shifts on the steering wheel.

Again, it's all a question of "getting used to it". Same with the iDrive control system etc.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Vinsanity

You kinda have to wonder, though, what was wrong with the old way, that warranted the change.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 19, 2012, 05:40:21 PM
the bmw has manual controls for the a/c and radio. the current version of idrive is good, not a big deal anymore even for a 70 year old

I think you overestimate the ability of a 70 year old to learn new technology.  Shit, some people on this forum in their 40s think iTunes is hard to use; and that's while sitting at home, not driving.  My dad is 70 or 71, and you should see him try to operate something in his car.  He'll look down for 5-10 seconds trying to work the Lexus system to do whatever, and that's just plain dangerous. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 19, 2012, 06:07:42 PM
You kinda have to wonder, though, what was wrong with the old way, that warranted the change.

According to MB they placed it on the steering column to create more space in the center console. It also makes the interior look cleaner.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Klackamas

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 19, 2012, 06:00:28 PM
I don't have a problem with the column shifter placement in my dads E350 CGI. I get into that car, fire it up and put it in "R" or "D" and off I go.

I'm not sure what is supposed to be "shit" about it. I was apprehensive of it to when I first experienced it in the 2nd generation M-Class, but you get used to it quickly and it's not a problem afterwards. Besides, it's an automatic transmission. They won't have to perform manual shifts in the first place, but they can because all column shifter-equipped E-Classes have paddle shifts on the steering wheel.

Again, it's all a question of "getting used to it". Same with the iDrive control system etc.

To screw with iDrive, you really have to take your eyes off of the road too long. There's no excuse for it.

As far as the shifter, I'm going off an owner who ever so often flips the car in neutral by accident. It happens repeatedly. Why do it? Just like steering wheel paddle shifters that seem to be packed in more and more cars. Dumb.
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

Klackamas

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26524.msg1653499#msg1653499 date=1327022658
I think you overestimate the ability of a 70 year old to learn new technology.  Shit, some people on this forum in their 40s think iTunes is hard to use; and that's while sitting at home, not driving.  My dad is 70 or 71, and you should see him try to operate something in his car.  He'll look down for 5-10 seconds trying to work the Lexus system to do whatever, and that's just plain dangerous. 

That's true. Mine will just stop trying and drive around all day without a radio in disgust and aggravated.
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

Hachee

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 19, 2012, 06:26:30 PM
According to MB they placed it on the steering column to create more space in the center console. It also makes the interior look cleaner.

Column stalks were great when you had six passenger seating.  There is plenty of room on the console for a shifter.  The last thing I'd want is another stalk behind the steering wheel.

Hachee

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 19, 2012, 05:40:21 PM
the bmw has manual controls for the a/c and radio. the current version of idrive is good, not a big deal anymore even for a 70 year old

I've had both generations of idrive, and was hoping the new one would be better.  Other than a few buttons near the control which DO help, I haven't found it to be better.  Maybe it's me.  The radio controls, especially ipod controls, are infuriating. 

And the redundant AC control buttons on the dash only control the fan speed and temp setting.  If you want to change the flow direction (floor, face, windshield), you have to press a button mulitple times, and then to change the level of heat vs. cool air (i'm not talking about the actual temperature setting), you then need to move the idrive controller around.

There is PLENTY of room on the dash (it's an X5) for additional buttons to cover everything. 

My wife uses it mostly, and I drive it a bit on weekends, so maybe if I drove it more I'd like the controls better.  I see the point in it for systems that aren't used frequently, but as it is, I think there's a lot of room for improvement.

68_427

Some old fart in my town has a dark green E550 4Matcic with AMG sports package.  That things is pretty damn hot.  I'd take that car over a 5 series every time.

Edit:  That color might be indivdual or whatever MB calls their special shit.  Can't find any E Class online in the same shade.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

I'll pretty much always take a BMW over a Benz.  Mercedeszszs just don't "do it for me."

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 19, 2012, 06:07:42 PM

I think it was to save space, mostly.  It makes sense as it does free up the center console a bit, but I still prefer a mechanical gate to the column shift business. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on January 20, 2012, 11:12:18 AM
I think it was to save space, mostly.  It makes sense as it does free up the center console a bit, but I still prefer a mechanical gate to the column shift business. 

Column shift is awesome, if you're an old ass fuck in a Town Car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Or if you have three speeds and a clutch.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Quote from: Klackamas on January 20, 2012, 06:50:10 AM
As far as the shifter, I'm going off an owner who ever so often flips the car in neutral by accident. It happens repeatedly. Why do it? Just like steering wheel paddle shifters that seem to be packed in more and more cars. Dumb.

How come this has never happened to me?  :huh:

All the things people complain about in Benzes - namely the column shifter and the fact that cruise control is next to the signal stalk - I've never had these issues on ANY MBs I've driven.

Like I said, you get used to the layout.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Hachee on January 20, 2012, 08:14:20 AM
Column stalks were great when you had six passenger seating.  There is plenty of room on the console for a shifter.  The last thing I'd want is another stalk behind the steering wheel.

I really don't get the issue here.

I'm the kind of person that has no problems driving a car where the shifter is on the column or the floor. In our E350 CGI the column shifter is far enough from the steering wheel that you won't accidentally knock it into another gear.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Column shifters are super low-class IMO. They reek of the 80's and old people cars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2012, 02:12:23 PM
Column shifters are super low-class IMO. They reek of the 80's and old people cars.

Like this 1972 Chevrolet Camaro SS.

WHAT A GRANDPA CAR!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

280Z Turbo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 20, 2012, 03:26:09 PM
Like this 1972 Chevrolet Camaro SS.

WHAT A GRANDPA CAR!

Sure looks like it.

GoCougs

That's an early 2nd gen Firebird not Camaro. IMO the Camaro had a much nicer dash (curved IP, more streamline glove box):

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

I actually like the instrument cluster and the steering wheel of the Firebird better. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

If it was for me, I think I'd say Bimmer.

For a 70 y/o, probably the Benze.

GoCougs

That is an aftermarket wheel in the Firebird.

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on January 21, 2012, 12:53:14 AM
That's an early 2nd gen Firebird not Camaro. IMO the Camaro had a much nicer dash (curved IP, more streamline glove box):

The link identified it as a Camaro...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Lebowski on January 21, 2012, 08:56:13 AM
If it was for me, I think I'd say Bimmer.

For a 70 y/o, probably the Benze.

Stereotypes.  :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

YO

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Stick...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

YO

For this topic...E350 Bluetec
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 19, 2012, 06:00:28 PM

Some systems are inherently bad, and no matter how used to them you get, it doesn't change the fact that they're bad systems.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

My gut call?  Black Edition, biatch.  Don't puss around.