Your gut call...

Started by Klackamas, January 18, 2012, 07:13:44 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on January 24, 2012, 10:01:38 PM
Some systems are inherently bad, and no matter how used to them you get, it doesn't change the fact that they're bad systems.

I personally would prefer a floor shift, but I can adjust and quickly get used to column shifts. The column shift in the new E-Class isn't even that close to the steering wheel so I cannot understand how some people "accidentally move it into another gear".

I've never even brazed it while driving that car - and I have big hands and knuckles.  :huh:

Again, it's all a question of getting used to the layout. Nothing more, nothing less.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AltinD

Chris: When people maneuver the steering with the knees, because their hand are busy with the oversized soda/frapuchino, it tend to happen :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 25, 2012, 05:03:30 AM
I personally would prefer a floor shift, but I can adjust and quickly get used to column shifts. The column shift in the new E-Class isn't even that close to the steering wheel so I cannot understand how some people "accidentally move it into another gear".

I've never even brazed it while driving that car - and I have big hands and knuckles.  :huh:

Again, it's all a question of getting used to the layout. Nothing more, nothing less.

A column shift, yes.  But you mentioned iDrive, which is a fundamentally bad system, like all these all-in-one systems that followed that lemming off the cliff. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

I forget who said it earlier (on my phone, too lazy to check), but Mercedes in general do nothing for me. BMW any day.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

WIMMER VIDEO

Showing you potential W212 MB E-Class buyers that there is absolutely no way you'll hit the column shift while driving.

http://youtu.be/oRdc0pA5JgM

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Hachee

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 05, 2012, 09:37:13 AM
WIMMER VIDEO

Showing you potential W212 MB E-Class buyers that there is absolutely no way you'll hit the column shift while driving.

http://youtu.be/oRdc0pA5JgM

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here said that they'd be concerned about hitting the column shift accidentally.  I, and I think most everyone else, who doesn't like the column shifter, just PREFER it on the console.  I like the way it looks.  I like the way it feels.  There's room for it.  Simple as that. 

I personally also prefer to have the power window switches on the console too, rather than on the driver's door.  But I think there's hardly a new car made today that still has them on the console. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Hachee on February 06, 2012, 04:06:43 PMI could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here said that they'd be concerned about hitting the column shift accidentally.  I, and I think most everyone else, who doesn't like the column shifter, just PREFER it on the console.  I like the way it looks.  I like the way it feels.  There's room for it.  Simple as that. 

I prefer a console shift to, but I can quickly adapt to new layouts such as this if I have to. And this video proves, IMO, that hitting the column shifter while driving is next to impossible unless you've got Hulk hands.  :praise:

Quote from: Hachee on February 06, 2012, 04:06:43 PMI personally also prefer to have the power window switches on the console too, rather than on the driver's door.  But I think there's hardly a new car made today that still has them on the console. 

I actually think the placement of the window switches on the drivers door is more logical than placing them on the center console. I know I always "hated" that in our ex-300SE and my dads 500SL. Having them on the drivers door is more convenient and ergonomical IMO.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Hachee

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 07, 2012, 05:49:50 AM
I actually think the placement of the window switches on the drivers door is more logical than placing them on the center console. I know I always "hated" that in our ex-300SE and my dads 500SL. Having them on the drivers door is more convenient and ergonomical IMO.

I actually think it's more logical having everything you use relatively frequently on the center console.  I can keep my left hand on the wheel, do what I need with my right hand.  I suppose the placement of the window switches in the center made more sense when most cars had manuals, and if you were operating the window button, and needed to suddenly shift, it was just a short reach with the same hand.  Part of it is probably just that I thought the console, with the shifter and the window buttons there, was exotic compared to the American cars I grew up with, with bench seats and column shifters and window buttons on the doors. 

Raza

I like window switches on the door, as well.  If I'm messing with the windows and shifting at the same time that I need to be steering, then I'm the one who's doing something wrong.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Hachee

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2012, 09:43:44 AM
I like window switches on the door, as well.  If I'm messing with the windows and shifting at the same time that I need to be steering, then I'm the one who's doing something wrong.

How about when you're driving along, in gear, operating the window, and suddenly there's a need for you to shift?  Wouldn't it be better to be able to just move your right hand to the shifter inches away?  I get it that it's not a guaranteed death sentence if the window switches are on the door, and most morons can deal, but I'm guessing that this must have been the theory behind the switch placement on the console. 

I just like it better.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Hachee on February 07, 2012, 06:55:04 AM
I actually think it's more logical having everything you use relatively frequently on the center console.  I can keep my left hand on the wheel, do what I need with my right hand.  I suppose the placement of the window switches in the center made more sense when most cars had manuals, and if you were operating the window button, and needed to suddenly shift, it was just a short reach with the same hand.  Part of it is probably just that I thought the console, with the shifter and the window buttons there, was exotic compared to the American cars I grew up with, with bench seats and column shifters and window buttons on the doors. 

In my daily driving in around Munich, especially when entering park houses and such, the most comfortable and convenient placement of the window controls is on the drivers door.

Older Mercedes' were very unconventional in that regard. I always saw it as unique, but at the same time a sort of drawback when I was driving in the city with the older 300SE W126.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rich

I don't like having any switches on the door.  I enjoy symmetry... and if it's raining, I don't have to worry about water getting in the switches when I open the door.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

omicron

Quote from: Hachee on February 06, 2012, 04:06:43 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here said that they'd be concerned about hitting the column shift accidentally.  I, and I think most everyone else, who doesn't like the column shifter, just PREFER it on the console.  I like the way it looks.  I like the way it feels.  There's room for it.  Simple as that. 

I personally also prefer to have the power window switches on the console too, rather than on the driver's door.  But I think there's hardly a new car made today that still has them on the console. 

Commodores still have theirs on the centre console, which I assume is for production simplicity when the same plant is building cars for RHD and LHD markets.