Life after 8000 RPM: Lotus Elise & Mazda RX-8 Farewell (Automobile Mag)

Started by sportyaccordy, January 20, 2012, 06:52:10 PM

2o6

You haven't even driven one.  :huh:

That's like me saying that the Porsche 911 is far too unbalanced at the limit to be fun or usable.

GoCougs

Meh, sure some people like those cars, but plenty (more) like Camaros, Mustangs, 370s, etc. That's not a bad (or sad) thing. FWIW, I'm definitely in the latter camp.

2o6

I suppose there's a car for everyone.

Those pony cars are unattractive to me; they're kind of big and bulky. Besides, there will be cars like it in the near future.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 20, 2012, 07:02:59 PM
How is less choice a good thing....

The writer states it's a bad thing there are no replacements for these two cars. Look at those sales numbers in their their final MY - only ~700 for the RX-8 and ~200 for the Lotus.

Laconian

And both cars have been on the market the better part of the decade. You're omitting that important detail. ;)

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Isn't Lotus introducing an Elise replacement at some point in the near future?  I could swear I recall seeing a concept at some auto show coverage not too long ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

What's with all the shit all over the R3? I'll miss them both. I LOVE the Elise and could see myself in one later in life. About as pure a car as money can buy these days.
As for the RX-8, it's time has come and it had a good run. I'm happy I picked one up before it was too late. Now get off your ass Mazda and bring back the RX-7.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2012, 07:08:18 PM
The writer states it's a bad thing there are no replacements for these two cars. Look at those sales numbers in their their final MY - only ~700 for the RX-8 and ~200 for the Lotus.

Name a car as driver focused as an RX-8 and that can also seat 4 people easily and costs less then 40k
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

The RX-8's sales are going to be low these days. If you wanted one you'd have it by now. And they really didn't change it all that much over the years. And you can forget about more power because they rang every drop out of the 13B they could without FI. You can't really get much more power with aftermarket parts.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2012, 06:58:43 PM
I suppose there's a car for everyone.

Those pony cars are unattractive to me; they're kind of big and bulky. Besides, there will be cars like it in the near future.

That's how I've always felt. I like the design of the Mustang, I just wish it was in a slightly smaller package. If it wasn't so big in its current iteration, I'd consider buying one. The Camaro is also way too long, same with the Challenger. Like so many American cars, I don't know why performance has to be equated with size for some reason.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on January 20, 2012, 07:10:49 PM
Isn't Lotus introducing an Elise replacement at some point in the near future?  I could swear I recall seeing a concept at some auto show coverage not too long ago.

IIRC it won't be as lightweight.

There's no way I would pick a pony car over a Lotus. If you would, you've obviously never driven or ridden in one. A few engine mods and you'll have a car that is just as fast (if not faster) than the pony cars, but also 10x better at handling and probably 2x as much fun.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2012, 07:08:18 PM
Right, but you said
Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2012, 06:57:05 PM
Meh, sure some people like those cars, but plenty (more) like Camaros, Mustangs, 370s, etc. That's not a bad (or sad) thing. FWIW, I'm definitely in the latter camp.
For the people who don't like Camaros, RUSTangs, 370s, the death of these cars is a bad thing.

Ultimately though, like you said... not enough people like these cars. I am hoping the FT86's low cost of entry will show that there is still an audience for cars that don't need big horsepower to be fun to drive...

Cookie Monster

I was talking to an RX-8 owner at the auto-x I went to. He said I was lucky I didn't test drive an RX-8 when I was looking at the Miata, because I would've fallen in love with the RX-8 and driven off with it on the spot.

Makes me wish I test drove one. :cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on January 20, 2012, 08:11:19 PM
I was talking to an RX-8 owner at the auto-x I went to. He said I was lucky I didn't test drive an RX-8 when I was looking at the Miata, because I would've fallen in love with the RX-8 and driven off with it on the spot.

Well, you can always buy a used one.

280Z Turbo

TurboDan

Yeah, isn't it like 18/22 or something? That's pretty much the same as my LR, which is pretty bad.

Quote from: r0tor on January 20, 2012, 07:14:37 PM
Name a car as driver focused as an RX-8 and that can also seat 4 people easily and costs less then 40k

Evo.

MX793

I really loved the one I drove.  Good ride/handling balance, steering was well weighted and precise, shifter was short and precise, and that motor was soooo smooth.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to push it all that hard in my test drive, but I got the sense that it was a car you could really chuck into the corners.  Had a hell of a time not buying it (especially considering the rebates on them at the time).  Just couldn't get past the combination of full-size pickup fuel economy and very tiny/limited cargo capacity.

If the BRZ/FT-86 offers up the RX-8s driving experience with fuel economy more in line with what a light, 200-ish hp car should have, I'll probably be looking to trade the Mustang in on one in a couple of years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on January 20, 2012, 09:07:26 PM
I really loved the one I drove.  Good ride/handling balance, steering was well weighted and precise, shifter was short and precise, and that motor was soooo smooth.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to push it all that hard in my test drive, but I got the sense that it was a car you could really chuck into the corners.  Had a hell of a time not buying it (especially considering the rebates on them at the time).  Just couldn't get past the combination of full-size pickup fuel economy and very tiny/limited cargo capacity.

If the BRZ/FT-86 offers up the RX-8s driving experience with fuel economy more in line with what a light, 200-ish hp car should have, I'll probably be looking to trade the Mustang in on one in a couple of years.
I was looking at a used one, and I was skeptical of how the PO's had maintained the car, especially the engine.

That, and the oil and fuel consumption drove me away from the car, although if I had a chance to get a new one I probably would've.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

TurboDan

Quote from: thecarnut on January 20, 2012, 10:07:47 PM
I was looking at a used one, and I was skeptical of how the PO's had maintained the car, especially the engine.

That, and the oil and fuel consumption drove me away from the car, although if I had a chance to get a new one I probably would've.

Sucking down premium and (presumably) synthetic oil can get pricey.

Onslaught

Quote from: thecarnut on January 20, 2012, 10:07:47 PM

I can tell you that they do suck down gas. But the "oil consumption" part is nothing at all like you hear on forums like this. When I first got it I was looking at it all the time because I figured they drank oil like I drink rum. Now I open the hood once every two months and just add a little oil. I've had a quart of oil in my shop I use on her and it's been out there forever. If the thing drank oil like people said on the internet I'd have to have more then that.

Also, if you drive the car like a civic or something and keep it around 4k for sifts the millage gets better. Not good but better. That's how I drive when I've got people in the car and it's just like being in any another car out there. If however you take it up to 9 every time then it starts getting thirsty

Raza

I've driven an Elise and an RX-8.  I'd be happy and proud to own either, but the Elise is on a level that no other car is.  I loved my Boxster like you wouldn't believe.  But it made concessions to practicality.  It's bigger and heavier than the Elise, and has enough trunk space to fit five cases of water.  Fully lined power top.  It's easily the best all around sports car of its time. 

The Elise was not an all around sports car.  It was an uncompromising sports car; the purest and rawest car that was sold in the US in years and years.  It was bare and spartan.  Even the few things they did for livability were done begrudgingly.  Fine, you get a stereo, they said, but it's some off the shelf Blaupunkt we're just going to plug in.  You get a trunk too, but if you want to go grocery shopping, I suggest you don't take a friend.  Golf clubs?  Get the fuck out of here. 

Most amazing driving experience I've ever had.  No 500+ horsepower monstrosity will ever match it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: 565 on January 20, 2012, 09:02:47 PM
Evo.

A rx8 rewards a smooth skilled driver that takes correct lines and pays attention to the pedals.  An EVO rewards a driver that chicks a car into the turns and treats the pedals like an on/off switch... Just too different experiences
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on January 20, 2012, 11:28:55 PM
Sucking down premium and (presumably) synthetic oil can get pricey.

Rotaries are supposed to take dino oil.  Something about the dino oil doing something to the seals or something.

I hope that wasn't too technical for you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26541.msg1654369#msg1654369 date=1327167335
Rotaries are supposed to take dino oil.  Something about the dino oil doing something to the seals or something.

I hope that wasn't too technical for you.
You can run synthetic in one but Mazda says don't just to play it safe. Some burn clean and others don't. I run dino oil.
This tells you why http://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/synthetc.htm

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on January 20, 2012, 07:17:44 PM
That's how I've always felt. I like the design of the Mustang, I just wish it was in a slightly smaller package. If it wasn't so big in its current iteration, I'd consider buying one. The Camaro is also way too long, same with the Challenger. Like so many American cars, I don't know why performance has to be equated with size for some reason.

At least for the Camaro and Challenger, I don't think they're the size they are because GM and Chrysler thought that's what people wanted. At least in part, and perhaps entirely, the rear-drive platforms they have just happened to be for full-size cars.

Not sure what the Mustang's reason is, though it is smaller than those two.

hotrodalex

The Mustang is normal size for a 4-seater pony car. Couldn't get much smaller without screwing up the long hood/short deck proportions or getting rid of the rear seats.

ifcar

Today's Mustang is 7 inches longer than the 1994-1998 model, which was right in line with the 1964 original. The 1980s model was smaller still.