First Lottery Purchase

Started by Raza , January 25, 2012, 01:06:54 PM

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on January 25, 2012, 10:52:54 PM
Probably the first car I'd buy would be a Mazda MX-5 while I had a chance to drive a few nice sedans and wagons (3-Series and A6 being front-runners, vs. their respective competitors). I'd also strongly consider a two-door Wrangler or maybe a base Tacoma, as something to park on the street where dents only add to its character.

100 million dollars, and you'd go Mazda Miata and base model Tacoma?  Man, you need to live a little.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26567.msg1657795#msg1657795 date=1327599683
100 million dollars, and you'd go Mazda Miata and base model Tacoma?  Man, you need to live a little.

Who said that's all I'd ever own? This thread is about the first purchase. Why would I purchase something immediately from a market class I haven't closely followed?

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2012, 10:57:21 AM
Who said that's all I'd ever own? This thread is about the first purchase. Why would I purchase something immediately from a market class I haven't closely followed?

Dude, 100 million dollars, a Mazda shouldn't even be on your radar.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

It's IFCAR man.  The most boring car enthusiast ever...even moreso than Cougs.

ifcar

If how interesting you are is based on how much you spend, I'm fine with being boring.

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2012, 11:54:11 AM
If how interesting you are is based on how much you spend, I'm fine with being boring.
That is true, and I would applaud you for it but for one thing; you cannot take it with you.

In the case of the $100mn lotto win, you can afford some luxury.  ;)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on January 26, 2012, 03:43:56 AM
I'd rent out the billboard sign across from my job and it would tell them what I thought.

As for cars it be a FD RX-7. Now that's not the only car I'd get. I'd pick out a car like you guys and have it in a week. But I know of an FD near me that I want so that would be the first thing I went to get. Probably a DB9 or something like that.

1993 Mazda RX-7, 46,500 miles, $14,900

1994 Mazda RX-7, 39,555 miles, $17,599

ifcar

Quote from: hounddog on January 26, 2012, 12:41:48 PM
That is true, and I would applaud you for it but for one thing; you cannot take it with you.

In the case of the $100mn lotto win, you can afford some luxury.  ;)

I live in the city. No car is a necessity; having multiple cars, whatever they are, is already a luxury.

As a lottery winner, I'd live very comfortably but quietly, and whatever's left over at the end can make a few charities' day.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2012, 12:51:57 PM
I live in the city. No car is a necessity; having multiple cars, whatever they are, is already a luxury.

As a lottery winner, I'd live very comfortably but quietly, and whatever's left over at the end can make a few charities' day.

I had figured you for something boring, but at least comfortable and/or luxurious, like a Range Rover.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2012, 12:51:57 PM

I understand, however, what I am saying is that since you already  have more than you could use up and you already will be paying that money out why not pick up something which is actually fun and exciting to drive?

Live a little.

Oh, and a great big :facepalm: for giving all your leftovers to charity. 

:lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

ifcar

Quote from: hounddog on January 26, 2012, 02:01:01 PM
I understand, however, what I am saying is that since you already  have more than you could use up and you already will be paying that money out why not pick up something which is actually fun and exciting to drive?

Live a little.

Oh, and a great big :facepalm: for giving all your leftovers to charity. 

:lol:

I certainly had a lot of fun driving the Miata. I appreciated that I could drive it fairly hard even in urban conditions without making too much noise or breaking laws.

Northlands

This is my first impulse ( Aston Martin Rapide). A close second is a 2006 E55 AMG. Four doors so I can haul the family around and still have my rocket ship powers.

I'd then buy a small warehouse and quietly load it up with other vehicles, new and used.  :praise:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2012, 02:28:00 PM
I certainly had a lot of fun driving the Miata. I appreciated that I could drive it fairly hard even in urban conditions without making too much noise or breaking laws.
Ok, but where is the fun in not making any noise or breaking any laws? 

I am not saying one should eagerly and intentionally drive in any reckless manner in a city environment, but, I do know that cities eventually come to an end.  :lol:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Vinsanity

Another thing I would do is post on facebook asking friends to help me move to my new house, but not mention a word about winning the lotto. Just to see who shows up.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 26, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
Another thing I would do is post on facebook asking friends to help me move to my new house, but not mention a word about winning the lotto. Just to see who shows up.

Best idea ever. Anyone that shows up gets a couple million.

hounddog

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 26, 2012, 02:52:18 PM
And a hooker for a week. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 26, 2012, 02:52:18 PM
Great idea.  Then, like my earlier post, you can be rich together and fly all over doing cool shit.  It's a lot more fun when there are other people doing it with you.

Gotta-Qik-C7

This has to be the ONLY enthusiast forum where a Miata get mentioned in a 100 million dollar Lotto thread..............
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

That would buy something like 3,333 Grand Touring MX-5s!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colonel Cadillac

Let's see here...

First purchase has got to be a super expensive dinner and subsequently an enormous tab at a bar with all my pals.

I'm just going to go into everything that I would get, because this is sorta fun. I am also going to pretend this is a post-tax $100 million :lol:

Alright, houses:
House in New Orleans. Nothing too huge or fancy. ~$1 million
Garage will consist of:  
1) Supercharged Range Rover Autobiography
2) BMW 740i
3) Porsche Boxster S

House in Vail, Colorado ~ $3.5 million
Garage:
1) Mercedes GL550
2) Audi RS4
3) Ferrari FF

Last but certainly not least, a waterfront house designed by me that has a dock and an underground parking garage in Darien, CT ~$10 million
Garage:
1) Aston Martin V12 Vantage
2) Aston Martin DB7 GT
3) Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0
4) Porsche 993 Cabriolet
5) Audi S8
6) Audi TT-RS
7) E39 BMW M5
8) 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban

What can I say? I'm a dreamer  :lol:

I would acquire all this over a number of years though. I don't want to reduce my interest earning principal too much at the beginning  ;)

sportyaccordy

You know, since I got the bike, cars just don't thrill me like that anymore. If I had to get a car now, hmmm. I would prob build up an old Prelude or something low key like that. If I could get a bike, I'd prob get an NCR M4 One Shot. Ducati with a titanium frame, 280 something lbs (compared to 400-450 lbs stock), titanium and carbon fiber strewn all about. There aren't any street cars that can do 9s-10s out of the box so its like... meh

Cookie Monster

First car related purchase would be an LS3 swap into my car along with a ton of upgrades (wheels, tires, brakes, etc).

First car I'd buy would probably be the F10 M5 6MT. Then I'd get a '91-'93 NA Miata and deck that out.

After that, I'd get:

S800
S2000
NSX
FR-S/BRZ
AE86
E30 M3
E28 M5
E34 M5
911 GT3 RS
911 GT2 RS
993 911 GT2
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Northlands

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 26, 2012, 05:57:50 PM
You know, since I got the bike, cars just don't thrill me like that anymore. If I had to get a car now, hmmm. I would prob build up an old Prelude or something low key like that. If I could get a bike, I'd prob get an NCR M4 One Shot. Ducati with a titanium frame, 280 something lbs (compared to 400-450 lbs stock), titanium and carbon fiber strewn all about. There aren't any street cars that can do 9s-10s out of the box so its like... meh

Ah hah! I have one suggestion.

Meet your new lottery car that will hit that criteria.

The Koenigsegg CCXR.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Onslaught

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26567.msg1657827#msg1657827 date=1327602323
Dude, 100 million dollars, a Mazda shouldn't even be on your radar.
I don't know. I' d probably go to Japan and get a Cosmo or something. But I'd also get a 355 or other cars from the 90's. Modern cars just don't do it for me as much.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on January 26, 2012, 07:46:30 PM
I don't know. I' d probably go to Japan and get a Cosmo or something. But I'd also get a 355 or other cars from the 90's. Modern cars just don't do it for me as much.

Okay, other than classics.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Northlands on January 26, 2012, 06:28:59 PM
Ah hah! I have one suggestion.

Meet your new lottery car that will hit that criteria.

The Koenigsegg CCXR.
Augh I feel the same way about this car that the brown dude from EVO did... its just a monstrosity.

When it comes to cars... I just want feedback and simplicity. I would rather a well modded 240SX over this Swedish Veyron

68_427

I'm not big on hypercars either.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Buying expensive cars bores me.

I'd probably get something plebeian to drive when I'm at home, like a Fiesta or similar. My house would be pretty small and low-matinence, maybe some condo or downtown loft.

But the rest of the money would be going towards traveling. Like driving a rolls-royce across China. Or a Corvette through Japan. Or a Cadillac through eastern Europe. Or taking a cheap car and driving from my house through South America.

2o6

Oh, and I'd have one of these:

Reasonably priced, 2+2 so I can feign practicality, enough HP to go fast, but not too much as to go insane, and it's stylish.