Condo bans owner from charging his Volt

Started by SVT666, January 27, 2012, 09:31:26 PM

SVT666

By Andrew Ganz

A condominium management board in Ottawa, Ontario, has ruled that the owner of a plug-in hybrid vehicle can?t use an electrical outlet in his building?s garage unless he buys his own $3,000 meter.

The board has prevented Chevrolet Volt owner Mike Nemat from charging his car, which can run on gasoline only but requires a fully charged battery to achieve 30-35 miles of electric-only range.

Nemat told the board that the Volt costs only about $1 to charge overnight and that he would be willing to pay separately for all electrical charges that his car might incur, but that didn?t dissuade his condo?s board.

?They seem to think this car consumes a significant amount of electricity,? Nemat told the CBC.

The Volt driver says his point is especially valid since the condo doesn?t charge vehicle owners to plug engine block heaters in during colder weather.

The board says that the only option for Nemat is to pay to install a $3,000 individual meter at his particular outlet, which would allow the electricity provider to calculate the exact amount of electricity the Volt uses.

Using a standard 120V outlet, the Volt takes about 10 hours to charge and Chevrolet calculates that, in the United States, it costs an average of $1.50 to charge the Volt during off-peak electricity use.

hounddog

"Chevrolet calculates that, in the United States, it costs an average of $1.50 to charge the Volt during off-peak electricity use."

Which, using normal, non-GM math means it will cost $150 per charge.  ;)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Payman

This is why I'll never buy a condo, nor buy in any neighbourhood that has a HOA.

280Z Turbo

So does nobody in this complex have to pay for electricity?! :nutty:

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on January 28, 2012, 02:09:02 PM
This is why I'll never buy a condo, nor buy in any neighbourhood that has a HOA.
Yea, I couldn't deal with people. I'd kill someone and be in jail for the rest of my life.

My parent had to spend $40K on their beach condo last year because a few of the rich people voted to have them repainted and some work done to the docks that didn't need to be done.

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 28, 2012, 02:28:34 PM
So does nobody in this complex have to pay for electricity?! :nutty:

Sounds to me like the garage is a shared/common parking garage and the condo/HOA fees cover the electricity used in the garage.  Hence, some of the residents aren't comfortable with the thought of spending more money on the "common" electricity bill (to which they all pitch in) so that somebody can charge their personal vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Block heaters probably take up just as much juice!   Guy needs to get a simple meter and test his car charging vs. a block heater and show the tards that run the condo.
Will

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 28, 2012, 03:34:01 PM
Block heaters probably take up just as much juice!   Guy needs to get a simple meter and test his car charging vs. a block heater and show the tards that run the condo.

Yeah, my uneducated guess-timate would be that block heater vs. Volt would be about the same.

Onslaught

Do people bitch when they must charge a battery? Or as people have pointed out a block heater? I'd say if the power bill didn't go up but a few dollars then just let him pay a little more a month then other people.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on January 27, 2012, 09:31:26 PM
By Andrew Ganz

A condominium management board in Ottawa, Ontario, has ruled that the owner of a plug-in hybrid vehicle can’t use an electrical outlet in his building’s garage unless he buys his own $3,000 meter.

The board has prevented Chevrolet Volt owner Mike Nemat from charging his car, which can run on gasoline only but requires a fully charged battery to achieve 30-35 miles of electric-only range.

Nemat told the board that the Volt costs only about $1 to charge overnight and that he would be willing to pay separately for all electrical charges that his car might incur, but that didn’t dissuade his condo’s board.

“They seem to think this car consumes a significant amount of electricity,” Nemat told the CBC.

The Volt driver says his point is especially valid since the condo doesn’t charge vehicle owners to plug engine block heaters in during colder weather.

The board says that the only option for Nemat is to pay to install a $3,000 individual meter at his particular outlet, which would allow the electricity provider to calculate the exact amount of electricity the Volt uses.

Using a standard 120V outlet, the Volt takes about 10 hours to charge and Chevrolet calculates that, in the United States, it costs an average of $1.50 to charge the Volt during off-peak electricity use.

$3000???

For what: an official utility installed meter? He can't even get one unless he lists his garage space as a seperate address.

Whatever: you can buy portable electrical usage meters for as low as $30 :

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Problem solved: he just pays the HOA a set amount per KwH and get over it  (about 8 cents a KwH would be fair). Either that, or he pays a simple monthly fee for doing this. Problem solved, and everybody's happy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 28, 2012, 03:34:01 PM

No, not nearly as much.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Oh, and the absolute maximum amount of juice he can pull through a standard 15A outlet amounts to about 1.8 KwH/hour. Even if he did that 24 hours a day, seven days a week, it would cost the HOA about $24.20/week.

Payman

Given that this is in Ottawa, and the gubmint's push for low/zero emission vehicles, plus the media coverage, this will be resolved pretty soon.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Atomic

Quote from: Rockraven on January 28, 2012, 02:09:02 PM
my thoughts exactly :hesaid:

i can understand the condo board's thoughts, but the $3,500.00 (oops) $3000,00. seems outrageous. yet, if a relatively small complex had several similar vehicles (eg, volt, nissan leaf), it could become problematic with too few "changer ports", IMO.

Atomic

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 29, 2012, 03:18:09 AM
Jesus. H. Christ.
yes?  :evildude: i should not use blasphemy, but i could not resist, bro.

Raza

Whatever, it's $3,000.  He'll make it back in gas mileage in the next 15 years.  And if he cared about the environment, he'd stop bitching, buy the meter, encourage his neighbors to buy a Volt as well, and offer to buy meters for them too.   
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Except that YOUR taxes pay for those Volts....   :lol:
Will

GoCougs

My comments; but yes, ultimately, the condo association made the right call:

First, to "pay back" the Volt will pretty much need to always be plugged in, so that 120 volt outlet will always be occupied, preventing others from using it.

Second, so what happens if 20 condo owners buy plug-in cars? They'll start whining because now they have to pay the $3,000 whereas the first Volt owner did not.

Third, allowing this mooching is setting mooching precedent for other shared services in the building - garbage, water, other shared electrical outlets, etc. - and the headaches it invites.

Gotta-Qik-C7

But he offered to pay for any additional charges. So how is he mooching?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

rohan

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 29, 2012, 10:19:49 AM
But he offered to pay for any additional charges. So how is he mooching?
Only after someone complained. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Why buy a Chevy Volt when a Ford Excursion 6.8 V10 is cheaper to run and maintain?  :huh:  :hammerhead:

:devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Northlands

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 29, 2012, 01:39:14 PM
Why buy a Chevy Volt when a Ford Excursion 6.8 V10 is cheaper to run and maintain?  :huh:  :hammerhead:

:devil:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2012, 09:48:23 AM
My comments; but yes, ultimately, the condo association made the right call:

First, to "pay back" the Volt will pretty much need to always be plugged in, so that 120 volt outlet will always be occupied, preventing others from using it.

Second, so what happens if 20 condo owners buy plug-in cars? They'll start whining because now they have to pay the $3,000 whereas the first Volt owner did not.

Third, allowing this mooching is setting mooching precedent for other shared services in the building - garbage, water, other shared electrical outlets, etc. - and the headaches it invites.

As I said: $3000 is completely unnecessary in order to monitor this power usage: and its illegal to have seperate meters without having seperate addresses anyways, so that's a non-starter.

You can buy an inexpensive power usage meter for under $50 that will fulfill this requirement.

Barring that, the guy could simply agree to pay a $25/week charging fee, which will cover the HOA's expenses and then some.

Was he "mooching?" In a way, yes: But there are reasonable solutions that don't involve a $3000 installation (that can't be done anyways).

Oh, and if Everybody starting charging their EVs: the wiring would have to be upgraded anyways.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on January 29, 2012, 11:28:08 AM
Only after someone complained. 

So? Somebody objected, so he proposed to pay his fair share.

These "joint utilities" arrangements are ripe for unfairness anyways.

Do they upcharge residents for having 80 inch flatscreens that they use all day long too, when the guy next door is barely ever home and hardly ever watches TV?

Isn't that the same thing?

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2012, 03:08:03 PM

You can buy an inexpensive power usage meter for under $50 that will fulfill this requirement.

I have a feeling that your $50 meter will be missing some $$$$ calibration.  :lol: