El Camino Replacement

Started by hotrodalex, January 30, 2012, 02:32:29 PM

Secret Chimp

Having a wagon with all of the wagon space taken up by retarded airbag crap that's probably a third of the value of the car seems kind of dumb.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Eh, practicality is not my main goal. I'd get a wagon because it looks cool.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 30, 2012, 07:34:20 PM
Having a wagon with all of the wagon space taken up by retarded airbag crap that's probably a third of the value of the car seems kind of dumb.

The airbag stuff can be better hidden: and the tanks can really be all but eliminated.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

The seller says he has more pictures. Hopefully they show the interior and more of the airbag system, plus the undercarriage. I'll probably email him in the next couple of days. I need to do some research on El Camino prices and see if I can get enough money out of it. The main problem is that most of the nice stuff isn't on the car, so the buyer would still have to put it together and won't want to pay as much for it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 30, 2012, 07:43:17 PM
Eh, practicality is not my main goal. I'd get a wagon because it looks cool.

Wagons are cool. Get this.  :ohyeah:

If I was in America a used 1980s Ford LTD wagon or Chevy Caprice wagon would be the ultimate practical classic car to get IMO.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Secret Chimp

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 30, 2012, 08:25:19 PM
Wagons are cool. Get this.  :ohyeah:

If I was in America a used 1980s Ford LTD wagon or Chevy Caprice wagon would be the ultimate practical classic car to get IMO.  :praise:

SHUT THE FUCK UP

GoCougs

Nah, if you're going to go with a 4-door IMO stay away from anything in the '60s. If you're going to go 4-door, go '70s, and go Mopar. This is just a small smattering of Mopar big block-equipped battle wagons of the era. Also Google such marques as Plymouth Satellite and Dodge Monaco (Blues Bros.' mobile was a '74). Get one with a big block and you're in for some moderate good times.

1971 Plymouth Fury:

1978 Plymouth Fury:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Once again, Cougs has no idea what he's talking about.

"Buy from the decade where nobody gave a crap about build quality and the only thing lower than the 0-60 times were the compression ratios!"

Rupert

Next he'll tell us he thinks they look sexy.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 31, 2012, 12:10:23 AM

"Buy from the decade where nobody gave a crap about build quality and the only thing lower than the 0-60 times were the compression ratios!"

Hey, if its what he likes, its what he likes.

Although I do have to recommend a v6 Camry over any of those...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Cougs, I'm not necessarily looking for a 4 door. Not really looking for anything in particular. Basically anything under '72, since that's when emissions started to affect the cars and I don't want to have to deal with that. Plus the styling kind of went down hill after that. European or Japanese cars after '72 are fine, though.

Would you guys recommend a Porsche 914? I'm not sure how expensive they are to work on. Obviously not as cheap as a Chevelle or Camaro, but are they as bad as a 911?

mzziaz

You should have gotten a Ranchero in the first place.

But you are young enough to still learn, I guess.

Porsche = pricey parts, so get a good, complete one instead of a cheap project.

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

In all seriousness, what about an old Corona or Corolla?

omicron

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on January 30, 2012, 11:38:36 PM
:facepalm: @ ^

Quote from: Rupert on January 31, 2012, 12:57:21 AM
Next he'll tell us he thinks they look sexy.

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 31, 2012, 12:10:23 AM

Nice anti-enthusiast I've-never-worked-on-car drivel you two turkeys. Get pasted by a '70s Mopar dreadnaught on the freeway lately or something? Ha, ha.

First, cars of the '70s are better built than the cars of the '60s, and when dealing with plebeian vehicles, they are no slower. Even in the '60s higher compression 4-bbl V8s were not all that common; the average was at best somewhere at about a mild 2-bbl small block.

Second, pretty much no car from the '60s has its original CR, and even if it did, by the time it mattered (greater than ~9:1 in the relatively few cars that had such CRs) you couldn't run it on today's gas anyway without retarding the timing (= killing performance). And also let's not forget non-hardened valve seats.

Take '70s big block Mopar dreadnaught, put in 3.55 gears and a mild cam, and you'd be squashing VW Porsche 944s and '60s Mopar small block wagons till the cows come home.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 31, 2012, 03:36:24 AM
Cougs, I'm not necessarily looking for a 4 door. Not really looking for anything in particular. Basically anything under '72, since that's when emissions started to affect the cars and I don't want to have to deal with that. Plus the styling kind of went down hill after that. European or Japanese cars after '72 are fine, though.

Would you guys recommend a Porsche 914? I'm not sure how expensive they are to work on. Obviously not as cheap as a Chevelle or Camaro, but are they as bad as a 911?

IMO I wouldn't worry about the emissions stuff. Chances are that that stuff is still intact in this day and age is near nil (most jurisdictions stop emissions testing cars older than 30 years, but check your local laws), and if it is, at most it's catalytic converters and a smog pump, which are uber easy to remove.

Problem is with that fairly limited coin you're unlikely to find anything interesting + performance based/potential from the '60s that is in materially better condition than what you've got now.

Pretty much anything European from that era is going to be a major chore to keep on the road; more so than something "interesting" from Detroit.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: GoCougs on January 31, 2012, 07:38:48 AM
First, cars of the '70s are better built than the cars of the '60s

stopped reading

GoCougs

Ha, ha, forgot the King Daddy of Mopar dreadnaughts: The '69 - '73 Chrysler Imperial. Some added benefits here - guaranteed big block 440, available in both sedan and coupe, 5,200 lb curb weight, and the addition of safety bumpers in '73 earned the Imp the envious title of being the longest post-WWII non-limo factory stock sedan ever at 236 in (for reference that is a full 4' longer than a modern Camry). There is enough Americanism in one lone example to send the Ruperts and Secret Chimps whimpering into the shadows:

1972 Chrysler Imperial, North Randall, OH.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 31, 2012, 03:36:24 AM

Porsche parts are expensive, but the 914 is a simple enough car. It might be a PIA to work on because of the mid-engine, but I dunno. Browse the Pelican forums or Rennlist and find some common problems, then price the parts.

Rupert

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on January 30, 2012, 10:42:37 PM
1971 Plymouth Fury:

This is awesome. Love that styling (wasn't it called it "Fuselage" or something?).  :wub:

The side mirror doesn't look original though. It should be glitzing in chrome!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on January 31, 2012, 11:07:19 AM
Ha, ha, forgot the King Daddy of Mopar dreadnaughts: The '69 - '73 Chrysler Imperial. Some added benefits here - guaranteed big block 440, available in both sedan and coupe, 5,200 lb curb weight, and the addition of safety bumpers in '73 earned the Imp the envious title of being the longest post-WWII non-limo factory stock sedan ever at 236 in (for reference that is a full 4' longer than a modern Camry). There is enough Americanism in one lone example to send the Ruperts and Secret Chimps whimpering into the shadows:

1972 Chrysler Imperial, North Randall, OH.

Oh yeah. Now that is pimp.  :rockon:  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 31, 2012, 12:05:44 PM
Oh yeah. Now that is pimp.  :rockon:  :wub:

If you convert your post-an-American-car-in-every-thread-no-matter-the-subject Internetry to use only Fuselage Mopar, you will have an ally in yours truly.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on January 31, 2012, 11:24:12 AM
Chimp actually owns a '67 Mopar, big guy.

Yo, dog - I know, I posted in the thread in the past. He's not a "Mopar guy" if he disses the Fuselage Mopar. He's just some knucklehead who says he owns a Dodge.

hotrodalex

The Datsun is moving up on the list. Throw some of my surfing window stickers on it, plus a roof rack + surfboard/skiis, and it would be just as sweet. Only worry would be my lack of experience with rotaries.

My dad will be home Thursday and we'll look at the El Camino's fender again. Today I kind of went back and forth on whether or not I actually want to sell it. I've put tons of work into it and I'd hate to sell it knowing it really just needs all of the parts put on it. The problem is that it's a huge pain to install said parts. So I don't know. I'll talk it over with my dad. The air ride wagon looks sweet, though I'd have to see a lot more pictures. There's some rust on the bottom rockers, so I'd have to thoroughly check out the undercarriage and frame. The Datsun doesn't look like it would need anything, except extra littles goodies.