Lack of hassle in car buying

Started by 2o6, January 30, 2012, 09:56:46 PM

Lebowski

Quote from: 93JC on February 14, 2012, 12:48:02 PM
Where it's a seller's market and where negotiating on grocery items is considered, at best, confrontational. Cashiers can't give you a discount, store managers won't give you a discount, and the other customers behind you resent you for wasting everyone else's time and making their trip to the grocery store that much longer.

Our grocery stores aren't stocked to handle customers buying entire cases of product (and they don't stock them by the case in the first place anyway). Depending on the product they may only have the one case of it for a week. You want to buy in bulk? Go to Costco.

It wouldn't occur to me to negotiate at a grocery store, either. I don't think the cashiers even have the authority to do that, so they'd have to call a manager over (which is rude to the people behind you IMO) and even then I don't think you'd make any headway. One possible exception might be custom cuts in the butchers section, since the butcher cuts it and then prints up a price there might be an opportunity to Jew him down a bit there.

IMO if you want to save on groceries, clip coupons. We do have a fair number of B1G1 deals as well, you just have to look out for them.

Lebowski

Quote from: 2o6 on February 14, 2012, 08:15:39 PM
Lol, I work at Burlington Coat Factory, as well.

You should offer a discount to those customers, too.

Xer0

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 14, 2012, 06:17:14 AM

About 15 years ago, I was in best buy looking at 36" tube TV's they had on sale for &699 (great price at the time).  I guy I never saw before was looking a them as well; we started talking.  He said he'd buy one if the price were lower.  I flagged down a salesman and said me and my buddy came in to buy these TVs and would the store reduce the price by $100 each if we each bought one.  They agreed.  My "new found buddy" was speechless.

:lol:

Thats pretty good.  I think I might go and find me a 'friend' next time I go TV shopping.

Byteme

Where it's a seller's market and where negotiating on grocery items is considered, at best, confrontational. Cashiers can't give you a discount, store managers won't give you a discount, and the other customers behind you resent you for wasting everyone else's time and making their trip to the grocery store that much longer.

I'm not confrotational about it.  The other customers can wait their turn just like I had to wait for the fat woman who couldn't get the knack of paying for her purchases down pat.
And screw Costco.  I refuse to pay to enter the store for the "opportunity" to shop a limited selection of goods.  Their 2 lb bags of bacon bits are awesome though.   

Shop at Wal-Mart.

I once bought a sewing machine there. It wouldn't ring up and the clerk had to get a manager and the manager's manager to figure out how to ring it up.  AFter about 10 minutes I innocently asked what kind of discount I was going to get for standing there so long.  They knocked 5% off the price.   :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on February 14, 2012, 04:45:52 PM
I've never negotiated the price of a sandwich, I need to start doing that.

I also need to remember to always ask for the senior citizen's discount.  You'd be surprised at the number of places that offer one.  Like Long John Silver's; not that I eat there much.

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on February 15, 2012, 06:03:48 AM
It wouldn't occur to me to negotiate at a grocery store, either. I don't think the cashiers even have the authority to do that, so they'd have to call a manager over (which is rude to the people behind you IMO) and even then I don't think you'd make any headway. One possible exception might be custom cuts in the butchers section, since the butcher cuts it and then prints up a price there might be an opportunity to Jew him down a bit there.

IMO if you want to save on groceries, clip coupons. We do have a fair number of B1G1 deals as well, you just have to look out for them.

I used to use coupons all the time.  Today though, unless one lives on feminine hygene products, cosmetics, dog food or miracle bras, one will find few coupons that one can actually use.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 15, 2012, 01:49:34 PM
I used to use coupons all the time.  Today though, unless one lives on feminine hygene products, cosmetics, dog food or miracle bras, one will find few coupons that one can actually use.

The store I worked at had coupons out nearly all the time.  10, 15, and 20 percent coupons were always floating around, and they worked for just about everything except clearance items, some electronics, and brands that were too snobby to participate (Columbia, North Face, Silver jeans, etc.)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on February 14, 2012, 08:15:39 PM
Lol, I work at Burlington Coat Factory, as well.
I love that place!
Quote from: MiataJohn on February 15, 2012, 01:46:38 PM
I also need to remember to always ask for the senior citizen's discount.  You'd be surprised at the number of places that offer one.  Like Long John Silver's; not that I eat there much.
Mostl restaurants give at least 10% for seniors.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 15, 2012, 04:48:00 PM
I love that place!

The ones up near you guys tend to be a little better than the one I work at. I can never seem to find anything where I work.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)