F30 328i Driven: The sweet spot of the new 3 series line.

Started by MexicoCityM3, January 31, 2012, 11:22:12 AM

MexicoCityM3

I had the chance to test the new F30 last Friday at a BMW driving event here. I drove the 328i in "Sport Line" configuration with the 8 speed automatic.

In summary: this is a fantastic car, better than the equivalent E90 sedan in every way except engine sound at idle.

We did several exercises on track including a few high speed turns, a kind-of-autocross course and a high speed slalom that ended with emergency braking in a turn. There was one F30 335i Sport Line and a lot of 328i cars in various configurations (Sport, Luxury, Modern). I focused on the Sport Line cars that had the following enthusiast-related options that the other lines do not have:

- Sports suspension: it is a passive system that lowers the car by 10mm and is slightly stiffer. There is an additional optional variable (EDC) suspension that wasn?t fitted to the cars I drove.
- Sports automatic with paddle shifter and sports programming. It has some software changes that make the tranny a bit more agressive and also includes the paddle shifters (right side up, left side down).
- Sports steering: This is a variable ratio steering that changes the ratio based on the lock of the steering wheel. Less ratio with lower steering angle , more ratio with more steering wheel turn. It is a completely passive system unlike the previous "active steering" that varied the ratio based on the speed of the car.
- Sports seats

The driving experience is very similar to the E90, but improved slighty in most every way. The car feels a bit lighter on its feet than the E90. The engine mated to the automatic transmission shows no lag in any driving situation except maybe a lazy launch from a spot light. No lag on the track. Ever. Really. At 7,000 ft above sea level! The auto tranny shifts like a DCT. It responds immediately to driver command, it only refuses when a downshift would provoke an over-rev, but it will happily downshift to within 100 rpm of the redline. Immediately. It really feels like a sequential double clutch box. I didn?t test if it would bump against the rev limiter (I don?t think so). It is so good that - sacrilege - I?d consider the auto over the manual for the first time in my life.

The power of the new 4 feels as if it had 60hp more than the previous 6 in line 325i. No drop-off up top until redline, but happier between 3K and 6K RPM. No need to rev it above that really bur no problem if you do. The sound at idel is definitely not as nice as the N/A six, but it improves a lot when driving at higher revs. The sound inside the car at speed or in sporty driving is nice. It is only at idle and from the outside that it sound very much like the 4 cylinder it is now.

The huge power "feel" is in part due to Mexico City?s height above sea level that gives huge advantages to turbo engines. I had the chance to drive behind a 335i in a few of the high speed exercises and the larger-engined car will pull away but now it is not a blow out at all. I would definitely pick the 328i over the 335i without a doubt for the F30. The 335i advantages (power, engine sound) are not enough to offset the disadvantages (price (15K difference here maybe 12K considering base equipment levels), fuel economy, higher weight over the front axle) at all. I would have picked an E90 335i over the 325i. Not for the F30. The 328i is the enthusiast?s choice in my opinion.

Handling is neutral right up to the (very high) limits where the car will understeer. The car is fun and tossable. I didn?t sense any deterioration in steering feel with the new EPS or with the sports steering. Feels natural, no problem here at all.

The interior is a slight step up from the E90, I liked the more driver-oriented console, but it is mostly business as usual, feels like a proper BMW. The techno-gadgetry is of course improved, but nothing there of note over the competition really. Base equipment levels for our market are very competitive and well chosen by BMW Mexico (all cars get Navi, for example).

The styling is, in person, very similar to the E90. A conservative change (as it should be). It is extremely similar to the E90 from the A-pillar back. The big change is the pointy shark nose and the headlamps linked to the kidneys. Looks sportier than the E90 but overall it is a conservative evolution. Looks different enough from the 5er in person to have it?s own - sportier - personality.

Overall, I loved the new F30, I think it raises the benchmark for the segment and keeps on with the tradition of the 3 series - if properly equipped at least. Maybe the other lines feel "softer" but I didn?t drive those cars and who cares as long as the "enthusiast configuration" is available. Choice is good.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

LOL no.  I'm sorry, but your experience and your opinions are wrong.  ALL turbo engines are ONLY suited for unenthusiastic driving and best left for "cars" like the Toyota Camry.  The fact that BMW put a turbocharger in their car instead of an inline 6 shows that they are no longer the Ultimate Driving Machine and are now the Ultimate MONEY GRABBING PANDERING PIECE OF SHIT ASSCAKE Machine.  TURBOCHARGERS are the epitome of everything that is WRONG with not only CARS, but also America today.  Turbochargers are a COMMUNIST plot, orchestrated by Chairman OBAMA and his cronies. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

You forgot the pictures!   :praise:

Good review. So you really prefer the 328i from a driving point of view? Makes sense to me. It's lighter so that helps and it's no slouch either. Does Mexico even get the 328i with a manual? From what I've read the Z4 and X3 with the same engine are A/T-only.

All over the net we're hearing the usual BS from so-called "BMW fans" about how "a 4-cylinder BMW isn't [and was never] a real BMW". What a bunch of morons. :facepalm:  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Colonel Cadillac

I really hope I can buy one in a few years from now. Sounds good :rockon:

I built a 328i and a 335i a week or two ago, and with all the options that I would want the 335i is only about $3k more expensive. I imagine the 328i will lose its value faster than the 335i though, so that's what really counts since I would buy CPO (eventually).

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2012, 12:49:17 PM
I imagine the 328i will lose its value faster than the 335i though, so that's what really counts since I would buy CPO (eventually).

Why would you imagine that? I'd think the 328i would hold its value better.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 31, 2012, 12:52:24 PM
Why would you imagine that? I'd think the 328i would hold its value better.

That's how it worked with the E90, so I am assuming the trend will stick with the new model.

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 31, 2012, 11:40:21 AM
You forgot the pictures!   :praise:

All over the net we're hearing the usual BS from so-called "BMW fans" about how "a 4-cylinder BMW isn't [and was never] a real BMW". What a bunch of morons. :facepalm:  :lol:

Pretty sure that's just you.

Colonel Cadillac

Actually, after looking on autotrader, the 335i's are priced fairly close to the 328i's. So I might be wrong.

That's a good thing! More pooowaaa

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26607.msg1660560#msg1660560 date=1328034708
LOL no.  I'm sorry, but your experience and your opinions are wrong.  ALL turbo engines are ONLY suited for unenthusiastic driving and best left for "cars" like the Toyota Camry.  The fact that BMW put a turbocharger in their car instead of an inline 6 shows that they are no longer the Ultimate Driving Machine and are now the Ultimate MONEY GRABBING PANDERING PIECE OF SHIT ASSCAKE Machine.  TURBOCHARGERS are the epitome of everything that is WRONG with not only CARS, but also America today.  Turbochargers are a COMMUNIST plot, orchestrated by Chairman OBAMA and his cronies. 
:lol:

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2012, 12:58:28 PM
Actually, after looking on autotrader, the 335i's are priced fairly close to the 328i's. So I might be wrong.

That's a good thing! More pooowaaa

Yeah, i recall the 335 not being that much more expensive.  Just goes to show you how much the rest of the world gets screwed over in car pricing in comparison to the US.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Xer0 on January 31, 2012, 01:00:47 PM

Yeah, i recall the 335 not being that much more expensive.  Just goes to show you how much the rest of the world gets screwed over in car pricing in comparison to the US.

Indeed! Our car prices are much better than in some other parts of the world.

sportyaccordy

I wonder if the difference (between the old 6 and the new 4) is as pronounced at sea level.

I also wonder if the difference in sound remains as negligible as you begin to uncork the motors (i.e. aftermarket exhausts + intakes etc.). That's a biggie for a lot of Bimmer enthusiasts.

Like dude said, choice is good... an all turbocharged lineup is not a choice.

W/all that out of the way, excellent review, sounds like BMW has another winner in its arsenal. Seems like they focused on the basics and succeeded.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 31, 2012, 01:06:42 PM
I also wonder if the difference in sound remains as negligible as you begin to uncork the motors (i.e. aftermarket exhausts + intakes etc.). That's a biggie for a lot of Bimmer enthusiasts.

What do you mean by negligible? Are you referring to it being a quiet motor or are you referring to how good it sounds? 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2012, 01:18:23 PM

What do you mean by negligible? Are you referring to it being a quiet motor or are you referring to how good it sounds?  
How good it sounds. I6s have a very distinct sound, especially with free flowing exhausts.

The aftermarket for Bimmer 3s is pretty big w/exhausts being a big component. If these motors don't sound good uncorked, IDK. The x35 motors sound decent cause they're sixes, but even still, not as good as the six in the old M3. But we will see.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 31, 2012, 01:38:20 PM
How good it sounds. I6s have a very distinct sound, especially with free flowing exhausts.

The aftermarket for Bimmer 3s is pretty big w/exhausts being a big component. If these motors don't sound good uncorked, IDK. The x35 motors sound decent cause they're sixes, but even still, not as good as the six in the old M3. But we will see.

It won't sound as good. That is a sad tragedy and frankly a reason to go for the I6.

Don't write the turbos off just yet, there's room for improvement.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 31, 2012, 11:40:21 AM
Good review. So you really prefer the 328i from a driving point of view? Makes sense to me. It's lighter so that helps and it's no slouch either. Does Mexico even get the 328i with a manual? From what I've read the Z4 and X3 with the same engine are A/T-only.

I think the 328i is the better handler, it is really light on its feet. That small engine at the front helps with that.

We can get any 3 series variant in manual but it's usually a special order because most dealer orders are automatics. The Z4 is also available in manual, X3 is auto only.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Xer0 on January 31, 2012, 01:00:47 PM

Yeah, i recall the 335 not being that much more expensive.  Just goes to show you how much the rest of the world gets screwed over in car pricing in comparison to the US.

Prices in the U.S. are probably the best in the world. But Mexico isn?t that far behind. I think we are very close if not in line with Canadian prices and there is no other country that I know of where a BMW is less expensive than here. Euro prices are higher, prices in Brazil and Argentina are insanely high as well as in most of Asia.

A base 328i here is 42.1K but that includes 16% VAT and it isn?t really base as it includes professional navi, leather, etc.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2012, 01:41:33 PM

It won't sound as good. That is a sad tragedy and frankly a reason to go for the I6.

I?d go for the 335i because of that but I wouldnt pay more than 3-4K for the sound & power. The difference here for similarly equipped cars is 10k so it?s an easy decision to stay with the 328i.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 31, 2012, 01:56:07 PM
I?d go for the 335i because of that but I wouldnt pay more than 3-4K for the sound & power. The difference here for similarly equipped cars is 10k so it?s an easy decision to stay with the 328i.

Agreed. I think I can learn to love the 4-cylinder's sound if I lived with it.

CALL_911

Great review. I had my doubts, but I'm glad to see BMW stuck with their roots.

I think I'd go for a 328i over a 335i. I just don't see myself appreciating the extra speed. I'd much prefer the greater agility the 328i affords.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 31, 2012, 01:59:08 PM
Great review. I had my doubts, but I'm glad to see BMW stuck with their roots.

I think I'd go for a 328i over a 335i. I just don't see myself appreciating the extra speed. I'd much prefer the greater agility the 328i affords.

I think the point has been made many times at the Spin by others (Raza comes to mind) that the lower-powered car can be also the more fun car every day. In a slower car you can get closer to the limit (which is fun) in every day situations and in this case add to that that the car is in fact a better more nimbler handler than the more expensive sibling.

And cars have gotten so powerful that, in reality, now even the "base" 3 series has the power and speed of a U.S. E36 M3.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 31, 2012, 02:05:55 PM
I think the point has been made many times at the Spin by others (Raza comes to mind) that the lower-powered car can be also the more fun car every day. In a slower car you can get closer to the limit (which is fun) in every day situations and in this case add to that that the car is in fact a better more nimbler handler than the more expensive sibling.

And cars have gotten so powerful that, in reality, now even the "base" 3 series has the power and speed of a U.S. E36 M3.

Yes also true.

MexicoCityM3

I wonder if the difference (between the old 6 and the new 4) is as pronounced at sea level.

It is not as pronounced at sea level. Mexico City is 7,350 ft above sea level. N/A cars lose around 25% of their power here. The loss for turbo cars is negligible.

At sea level the 4 is probably slightly faster than the previous U.S. market N/A six in the E90 328i. This would be because of gearing (in the auto 8 speed) and a better area under the curve because the 4 develops peak torque much earlier.

Like dude said, choice is good... an all turbocharged lineup is not a choice.

Who knows what the aftermarket will do with exhausts for the 4 pot. A 4 can sound nice, witness for example exhausts for the GTI. So it is doable.

It would be insane for BMW as a company to offer the 4 turbo along a similarly powered, less efficient inline 6. I can think of no manufacturer that does that. It would be nice, but it is a pipe dream considering the economics of a car company. Would I like the choice? Yes. But I understand that it is insane from BMW?s point of view.

However, if I had the choice, for Mexico?s driving conditions - I?d pick the 4 pot turbo every time after driving it.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2012, 01:58:56 PM

Agreed. I think I can learn to love the 4-cylinder's sound if I lived with it.

Pushing my 2.0T everyday, I'd say it definitely sounds as good as my old V6, which people used to love.  At idle it sounds like a diesel, but when you're on it, it sounds great.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Oh I'd love me an asscake machine.

Love my turbo-4.  Plenty of power for any road situation, and a real hoot.

Speaking of hooting, it makes all sorts of hilariously bizarre mechanical and turbocharger-related sounds, even if I'm not laying into it.  The flat-four thrum is nice, but I've also found the sound of German 4s to be pleasant.  Far preferable to most Asian 4s.

S204STi

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2012, 01:41:33 PM

I6 sounds good, eh?  Hmm.  I guess that would depend as well.  My roommate's Jeep sounds a bit moany and lame.

MexicoCityM3

An additional tidbit regarding interior space. I did pretty comfortably fit in the back behind "myself". I am 6'4". It is better than the E90 although it is not night & day, just slightly better room.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on January 31, 2012, 12:57:10 PM
Pretty sure that's just you.

I am talking about those "big BMW fans" who only like BMW Ms or the high-powered BMWs, have no idea about the 4-cylinder history and heritage of BMW (in both motorsports and road-going cars), have never heard of Glas, claim that BMW has never produced a car with forced induction etc. etc. etc.

That's definitely NOT ME.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 31, 2012, 08:08:18 PM
I am talking about those "big BMW fans" who only like BMW Ms or the high-powered BMWs, have no idea about the 4-cylinder history and heritage of BMW (in both motorsports and road-going cars), have never heard of Glas, claim that BMW has never produced a car with forced induction etc. etc. etc.

That's definitely NOT ME.

Okay, well those "big BMW fans" ain't here, so why the bitching?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 31, 2012, 01:48:42 PM
I think the 328i is the better handler, it is really light on its feet. That small engine at the front helps with that.

The same is true for the 528i which has gotten glowing reviews. That new 4-cylinder is a gem. I also heard it in action with a Z4 2.8i at BMW Welt a few days ago and the engine noise sounded great to me. Didn't sound like a 4-cylinder at all.

It's just a shame that there are so many narrow-minded people in this market who are so brainwashed and "would never pay that kind of money for a 4-cylinder" opting instead to go for a 6-cylinder "because that's real luxury" etc.  :facepalm:

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 31, 2012, 01:48:42 PMWe can get any 3 series variant in manual but it's usually a special order because most dealer orders are automatics. The Z4 is also available in manual, X3 is auto only.

Got it.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 31, 2012, 08:11:04 PM
Okay, well those "big BMW fans" ain't here, so why the bitching?

Thank god they're not here. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de