Chris Harris tells you to go buy GT-86

Started by 565, February 08, 2012, 06:29:29 PM

GoCougs

:facepalm:  It's sad seeing the 'SPIN's enthusiast credentials taking such a hit with each passing day. Just sad.

Rupert

If this is Cougs' worst internetry, then why are y'all falling right into his bait?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Quote from: Rupert on February 13, 2012, 08:31:22 PM
If this is Cougs' worst internetry, then why are y'all falling right into his bait?

Well, if the end goal is to have people make fun of him for a few pages, you're right...he wins? :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Rupert on February 13, 2012, 08:31:22 PM
I'm just riffing man, nobody really cares what he "wants".

By any metric, dude is an unthusiast. Car he drives, means by which he "discusses" cars, whatever. The sooner he comes to grips with what he is the sooner he can move forward. I am just trying to lend a helping hand.

Rupert

The best way to defeat a troll is to ignore him. He's far to stubborn to admit defeat or consider other views, so unless you're enjoying the "discourse," ...

My point is that the fact that anyone is responding to him negatively is success in his eyes.

:huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GoCougs

Your guys' unenthusiasm is just sad.  :(

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

See, now if we ignore that obvious bait, he'll just look like an idiot for trying to provoke us, which he is.

omicron

This car is a fine idea. Private insurers don't like turbochargers, so no turbo. Private insurers don't like large wheels, so no large wheels. Private insurers don't like fat tyres, so no fat tyres. Private insurers don't like high-revving, experimental engines so no high-revving, experimental engines. Private buyers don't like large repair/replacement costs later in the vehicle's life, so no turbo. Private buyers don't like large ongoing costs, so no large wheels or tyres. Private buyers don't like rapid depreciation, so no rapid brand depreciation (admittedly, Australian resale data here, but feel free to correct me). Private buyers don't like high fuel costs at this price point, so no turbo/weight/large displacement/lack of efficiency technology. Private buyers don't like stripped base models, so no cheapened price-leaders. Private buyers don't like things in stupid places, so sensible ergonomics prevail.

It seems to me that Toyota minimised as many costs to consumers as it could, and connected its savings to a fun-to-drive platform. For the life of me, I don't see the problem here.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: omicron on February 14, 2012, 05:40:43 AM
This car is a fine idea. Private insurers don't like turbochargers, so no turbo. Private insurers don't like large wheels, so no large wheels. Private insurers don't like fat tyres, so no fat tyres. Private insurers don't like high-revving, experimental engines so no high-revving, experimental engines. Private buyers don't like large repair/replacement costs later in the vehicle's life, so no turbo. Private buyers don't like large ongoing costs, so no large wheels or tyres. Private buyers don't like rapid depreciation, so no rapid brand depreciation (admittedly, Australian resale data here, but feel free to correct me). Private buyers don't like high fuel costs at this price point, so no turbo/weight/large displacement/lack of efficiency technology. Private buyers don't like stripped base models, so no cheapened price-leaders. Private buyers don't like things in stupid places, so sensible ergonomics prevail.

It seems to me that Toyota minimised as many costs to consumers as it could, and connected its savings to a fun-to-drive platform. For the life of me, I don't see the problem here.
Yea its an excellent car. And cheap enough that any problems can be addressed elsewhere. I.e. want a turbo, I am sure kits are coming.

Morris Minor

Quote from: omicron on February 14, 2012, 05:40:43 AM

I am sorely tempted to get one of these; I've liked chuckable lightweight cars ever since I first read LJK Setright's 1970s essays extolling the VW Scirocco.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

You can be an enthusiast if you don't own a car.

You can be an enthusiast if you own a cool car but can't drive it very well.

You can be an enthusiast if you own what is generally considered a girl's car.

You can be an enthusiast if your parents bought you your car.

You can be an enthusiast if you own an econo box.

You can be an enthusiast if you own a worn out rust bucket.

You can be an enthusiast if you really don't know how automotive technology works.

You can be an enthusiast if you own a performance has-been.

You can be an enthusiast if you own a family sedan.

Get the idea? The demarcation between enthusiasts and unenthusiasts is the former defines the latter and nothing more. So I ask the 'SPIN in plural, are you going to choose to no longer be unenthusiasts? The forum will improve dramatically if you chose 'yes.'

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 14, 2012, 07:55:34 AM
I am sorely tempted to get one of these; I've liked chuckable lightweight cars ever since I first read LJK Setright's 1970s essays extolling the VW Scirocco.
All the tech in the world can't replicate the feeling of low weight. I really think in these times a back to basics approach is necessary.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 14, 2012, 12:36:31 PM
All the tech in the world can't replicate the feeling of low weight. I really think in these times a back to basics approach is necessary.
Yep, you can make a heavy car very fast. But you can never hide the fact that it's heavy. For people who love a go-cart feel a light cars can't be outdone.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on February 14, 2012, 01:05:46 PM
Yep, you can make a heavy car very fast. But you can never hide the fact that it's heavy. For people who love a go-cart feel a light cars can't be outdone.
In that case, a '59 Austin Healey Sprite is perfect.  It's dry weight was just over 1400 lbs.; and it felt exactly like driving a go-cart.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Onslaught

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2012, 01:26:18 PM
In that case, a '59 Austin Healey Sprite is perfect.  It's dry weight was just over 1400 lbs.; and it felt exactly like driving a go-cart.
I'm sure it kicks the ass! We have a Austin Healey body at my shop. The old owner put it there and forgot about it.

Rupert

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2012, 01:26:18 PM

Of course, it's about the same size as a go-kart, too. Basically just a go-cart with a body and lights. :lol:

sportyaccordy

They should add another one... "stickshift doesn't automatically make a car good"

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 15, 2012, 05:41:31 AM
They should add another one... "stickshift doesn't automatically make a car good"
No they don't. A stick in a pinto won't make it a good car. But a stick in a good sports car will make it better then one without. Unless you're racing and then you'd want the fastest way to get around a track. But for fun it's got to be a stick.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 15, 2012, 05:41:31 AM
True.  Car and Driver said that if they had tested the CTS with the manual transmission it would never have been chosen it for their 10Best.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

It's a pretty good list, though I'd thought the Subaru stereotype was specific to the Forester. I know a lesbian who drives one, so I may be guilty of confirmation bias.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on February 15, 2012, 05:16:00 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5884022/ten-automotive-stereotypes-that-need-to-die/

I think this works here for one of the reasons.

Beauty is the eye of beerholder; if I think it, it's true.

10.) Mostly true; sure they work (though not as good as advertised) but they're a fad predicated on false science.
9.) Somewhat true; though not terrible anymore diesels still notably trail gasoline engines in performance, NVH and refinement.
8.) Mostly true; sure not EVERYONE that rides but the injury/death rate per miles traveled is vastly higher than for automobiles (duh).
7.) False; sure there are lots of ways to get power.
6.) Somewhat true; sure not EVERY Subaru is owned by a lesbian but the model is popular in that community.
5.) Somewhat true; ditto for the Miata/gay men.
4.) Mostly false; Detroit still trails Japan in quality (with all four Chrysler nameplates named this week as the 4 worst brands for 3-year reliability), just not so much.
3.) False; if it has a Porsche nameplate, it's a Porsche.
2.) Somewhat false; I think slow cars suck.
1.) Mostly true; many, many people validate themselves by what they drive.

Onslaught

Cougs, most gay men would never be seen in a Miata. They drive BMW's.......... and Honda Accords  :devil:

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 14, 2012, 06:04:57 AM
Yea its an excellent car. And cheap enough that any problems can be addressed elsewhere. I.e. want a turbo, I am sure kits are coming.

I don't want a kit.  I want a factory-backed option.

Laconian

Miatas and Minis are the bread and butter of pride parades. Sorry, Onslaught. :devil:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: S204STi on February 16, 2012, 02:21:33 PM
I don't want a kit.  I want a factory-backed option.
Thats not my problem

You want a factory turbocharged car buy a factory turbocharged car.

S204STi

Right, which is what I've been saying all along is the reason why I wouldn't buy this. ;)